V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read some posts regarding the Bassani Pro Streets as a better performing pipe. Why is that, and what is different about the Bassani design? Is this true, with some dyno experience to back it up?
My bike isn't built yet, and I do have time to change my mind.
Thanks.

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Hey buddy I found you lurking here? I am also in the process of getting an exhaust system. I was looking at BUB true duals but the dealer who sells them claims that they actually reduce power even with the race tune. He recommends the stock exhaust with SE slip on's which is a savings of more than 50%. Price aside I do like the look of the BUB True duals, but don't want to lose power. He also recommends the Bassani 2 into one for the best power gains. The Bassani 2 into one on a bag bike looks a little gay to me but I think on the Night Train or any of the Harley sport types it would be very nice looking. I did have a chance to drive a Harley with the Bassani 2 into one and at full power it is LOUD!!!! I know loud doesn't bother GeorgeC but my neighbors already think I'm nuts.

PS you shoveling snow up there in Buffalo?

Richard

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
The Pro Streets are step tuned, meaning that they incrementally enlarge in size from the heads and are of equal length. Speedvision did a project Night Train a few years ago and tried numerous exhausts with the Pro Streets performing the best.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, we're suppose to get a foot tonight..
I know, I know, you're thinkin' :ntlgh:
I'm a long way from the riding season..
I have been driving everybody crazy on these V-Twin sites, but I really think I have the right pipe for my Bike. I loved the V-H Big Radius look, but there was no way I would lose some torque after spending money on a Stage II.. The Hookers are even a better pipe, functionwise too.
I'll tell you what Richard, just keep searching pipe companies and ask questions.. I came close to buying the Bassani ProStreets. I even love their simple look, but I can't have a brown/blueing pipe on my bike because the company doesn't see the need for complete heat shields....

This site, http://harleyzone.tenmagazines.com/forums/ and http://www.hdforums.com/ offer a ton of pictures. This site is a pay sight, but well worth the $15.00 to see all of the pictures to draw up some ideas on..
I left you a reply on the other site..

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
George C said:
I have read some posts regarding the Bassani Pro Streets as a better performing pipe. Why is that, and what is different about the Bassani design? Is this true, with some dyno experience to back it up?
My bike isn't built yet, and I do have time to change my mind.
Thanks.

Do you like the Troublemakers??:huh:

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Bassani Pro Streets flow very well. So much so that I dont think they are the right choice for a stock motor..or even a mild 95" build..the bottom will be too soft.
Now I did go to them on my Dyna..from a set of V&H big shots. but it was a 95" motor with ported and decked (.015) SE heads , with wood tw8g cams, running at 10.8:1 with forged pop ups. They really woke the motor up,, had no torque dip, and the top end power all came in over the V&H pipes.
To run them on a mild or stock motor, I feel they need some additional back pressure. A 14" section of 16 guage 2 1/8 i.d. pipe will slide right inside once the baffles are out. You can then run any number of baffles inside the sleve or even the largest Thunder Monster baffle. You just have the piece of pipe flared at any muffler shop to just fit the Bassani tube.
I currenty have a set of stainless black ceramic coated Pro Streets that I modified with a sleve and ThunderMonsters , going on my night train . 95" at 10.2:1 with stock ported heads and 55g cams. But it's snowing..so I wont know how well they'll work for a while yet.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Bassani Prostreets are a real nice performing set of pipes. We tested them on a few combos last January in 95, 103, 107, and 114 builds. Great scavenging, especially on the 103 engines and up. Some of the best numbers for 2 to 2 pipes. Now Syclone has good info in that for stock or mild builds, the Prostreets will OVER - scavenge, especially if you don't have the capacity to do front and rear cylinder trim, but they are still pretty tasty if you have tuner that knows how to use the SERT for EFI bikes. If you can't find a good tuner, they will throw their hands in the air and send you on your way with TQ dip, because they can be a bit of a chore to tune with stock heads and cam. And Grayrider touched on one of the reasons for why they perform well. Too many exhaust companies are forgetting the physics & engineering of performance exhaust and are concentrating on looks. There is a lot to making good pipes, too much to get into here.
Want another suggestion for great performance and easy on the wallet?.......... good ol' Cycle Shack M series slip ons with stock header pipes. Easily tuneable and cheaper than the overpriced SE slip ons. Nice finish and great sound.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Not so good for the wallet...but dyno pretty good for a 2 into 2 are BuB Jug Huggers...never really saw a torque dip...on a nearly stock bike...

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
deuce04 said:
Do you like the Troublemakers??:huh:

I am finishing up my new bike order, and I was unsettled on which pipe. I'm going with the Hooker Troublemakers. I'm just doing a mild, street legal 95" stage II, so they should work just fine.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
I am thinking of putting Pro Street exhaust on my 2005 XL 883. One of the things that I want to know is whether the pipes hang lower than the frame. I use a "CenterStand" motorcycle lift. http://www.cyclelifts.com/csonlyhome.html It needs the clearance of the frame, extending out from the bike for a few inches to operate. I have collected pictures of the Bassani Pro Street on Sportsters but this angle I have not found. Does any one know about this? Also, I have mid controls. How are these pipes designed to accomodate the riders feet? Is it good or poor?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
geoffreyt said:
I am thinking of putting Pro Street exhaust on my 2005 XL 883. One of the things that I want to know is whether the pipes hang lower than the frame. I use a "CenterStand" motorcycle lift. http://www.cyclelifts.com/csonlyhome.html It needs the clearance of the frame, extending out from the bike for a few inches to operate. I have collected pictures of the Bassani Pro Street on Sportsters but this angle I have not found. Does any one know about this? Also, I have mid controls. How are these pipes designed to accomodate the riders feet? Is it good or poor?
Suggest you visit www.northcountycustoms.com and/or give Tom a call there..(866-439-4287).. he can answer all your questions. I dont see a problem with a center stand lift...and they come made for either foreward or mid controls.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I think that NCC offers a set of "quiet" baffles for the Pro's that should help with backpressure on milder build's. "quiet" would be subjective.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts