V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 1993 HD FXRP. It was a city auction guy. It is missing several parts off of it. This is my first motorcycle and not surprising the wife is not completely on board.:)

Anyway I know that owning a MC cost money I know that its not cheap. But since the wife is not on board I am trying to keep the cost down to at least get it running.

I am looking for stock take off parts I dont mind aftermarket but i am looking at stock for cost. Also any advice and comments are welcome. Thanks

1993 ex-police bike FXRP 1340 evo big twin. dual front brake.

Set of ign wires
complete charging system.
front brake hoses from handle bars. hd part number 45140-87A
jack shaft/starter assembly spring. hd number 33449-90 (I think)
tank console with the cutout for fuel gauge.
horn start stop switches
ign key switch. handle bar mount style

Any help would be great. I am just trying to get it running to learn a bit before I hop it up with chrome ect.
thanks
I do have some snap-on tools I can trade/$ mostly 3/8 - 1/2 drive rachets and misc.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Hello all,
I have a 1993 HD FXRP. It was a city auction guy. It is missing several parts off of it. This is my first motorcycle and not surprising the wife is not completely on board.:)

Anyway I know that owning a MC cost money I know that its not cheap. But since the wife is not on board I am trying to keep the cost down to at least get it running.

I am looking for stock take off parts I dont mind aftermarket but i am looking at stock for cost. Also any advice and comments are welcome. Thanks

1993 ex-police bike FXRP 1340 evo big twin. dual front brake.

Set of ign wires
complete charging system.
front brake hoses from handle bars. hd part number 45140-87A
jack shaft/starter assembly spring. hd number 33449-90 (I think)
tank console with the cutout for fuel gauge.
horn start stop switches
ign key switch. handle bar mount style

Any help would be great. I am just trying to get it running to learn a bit before I hop it up with chrome ect.
thanks
I do have some snap-on tools I can trade/$ mostly 3/8 - 1/2 drive rachets and misc.

First congrats !!!

Second, don't worry about the wife, after you get the bike all fixed up you can trade her in for a new model :D

Next, don't look at stock for cost, look at stock for quality! Much aftermarket stuff is junk.

1. Buy NEW ignition wires.
2. Why do you need a new charging system? Is there something wrong or is it completely missing?
3. Look at new brake lines for the front, your LIFE depends on the brake, don't get used crap here.
4. The jack shaft spring is probably very inexpensive from the dealer, buy new here as well.
5. If it is an FXRP it had a different tank console. Are you looking to replace it with a different style or the orginal type? Not all the gas gauges are the same or use the same sending unit. Looks for a later model one ... I think 86 and up will work. Search eBay and find pictures of what you are looking for and post a link for us to see.
6. Switches are inexpensive as well, buy new.
7. Handle bar key switch? Is it below the tank now, in the stock location? Why do you want to move it?

A side note, hopping it up will not include chrome. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
curious to know

how much ya paid for it

paint it yer favorite color

make it yours

chrome WONT GET YA HOME

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Just hunt around on ebay and craigslist. I have found parts cheap this way. Got to be patient and take your time.

Sometimes you'll see parts listed you don't need but may be possible the person selling them have other parts not listed. Just email them and ask. Thats how I have found parts.

Also sell parts off the bike you may not want so you can have dough for parts you need. I have done this as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First congrats !!!

Second, don't worry about the wife, after you get the bike all fixed up you can trade her in for a new model :D

Next, don't look at stock for cost, look at stock for quality! Much aftermarket stuff is junk.

1. Buy NEW ignition wires.
good idea cheap enough

2. Why do you need a new charging system? Is there something wrong or is it completely missing?
Completely missing

3. Look at new brake lines for the front, your LIFE depends on the brake, don't get used crap here.
Yeah good point I can get them from dealer for $75

4. The jack shaft spring is probably very inexpensive from the dealer, buy new here as well.
Yep checked it is $2 and change. Go figure

5. If it is an FXRP it had a different tank console. Are you looking to replace it with a different style or the orginal type? Not all the gas gauges are the same or use the same sending unit. Looks for a later model one ... I think 86 and up will work. Search eBay and find pictures of what you are looking for and post a link for us to see.
looking for a different type but that is cosmetic I can live with out it

6. Switches are inexpensive as well, buy new.

7. Handle bar key switch? Is it below the tank now, in the stock location? Why do you want to move it? Its not below the tank. The bracket is there but its currently in between the speedo and tach between the handle bars

A side note, hopping it up will not include chrome. :D
good point on the chrome. I meant performance parts ect by hopping it up.
Thanks for the reply very good info.

598II
$1500
I like a white base to keep with the police heritage with some black and orange in there somewhere.

@ Gretsch
I found a killer deal on some parts of CL already. There are some good deals out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts