V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I was thinking of purchasing this Torx Plus socket set and was wondering if you thought it would be sufficient to get me around the bike for the minor wrenching stuff in combination with 1/4 and 3/8 torque wrenches and standard socket sets. Is this set missing crucial smaller/larger pieces?

Thanks in advance...

Whiffleboy

G

·
It's got the T-27, which is probably the most common one for your routine maintenance. A set of Allen wrenches is another thing you'll need.

Harris

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would I be fine with a standard set of allen wrenchs, or (off the top of your heads), will I need allen sockets for torquing?

Thanks again...

Whiffleboy

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Whiffleboy said:
Would I be fine with a standard set of allen wrenchs, or (off the top of your heads), will I need allen sockets for torquing?

Thanks again...

Whiffleboy
I'd get both, but with the sockets you can actually use a torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Whiffleboy said:

Thanks again...

Whiffleboy
I usually use the socket-mounted ones, unless I'm working in close quarters.

You may also want to consider some long 'ball head' allen wrenches. These work like a universal-joint socket. I got one when I was installing highway pegs on my sportster a couple of years ago. Comes in real handy in tight quarters. You probably only need to get the ones you actually need rather than a full set.

I usually buy only SnapOn tools which are rather expensive, but you may find these from a less-expensive supplier.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
S-K tools are great, but there are not a lot of dealers in my area where it would be convenient to replace a broken one. and the price is slightly high IMO.
i've seen OTC made in usa set for around $20 + shipping on the internet
if you spend $100, shipping is free at www.thetoolwarehouse.net
there's also a dealer on ebay that's selling MAC...he sells quite a few sets

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Smokey said:
Made by S-K which makes good quality too. I like it.
I have a S-K rachet set my brother gave me for christmas when I was 16. I am 63 now and the wrench set is still going strong.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Can't beat SK tools.....I've got the same torx socket bit set and you should, while you are at it, get a set of socket bit hex heads also. The T-handle ball end hex tools come in handy also. And a 'clicker' torque wrench too......(but always make sure to 'zero' it before storage).

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
wyodude said:
Yep.

I have one too. Damned handy and very easy to tote.

Excellent recommendation.

Why, thank you!

I carry that, a small adjustable wrench, a 10mm socket (for battery terminals), a flashlight, a cell phone and a credit card.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Personally I prefer Craftsman since if they ever break you can go to the local Sears and just trade it in for another one.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Sinker said:
Why, thank you!

I carry that, a small adjustable wrench, a 10mm socket (for battery terminals), a flashlight, a cell phone and a credit card.
ought to add a colt semi auto with that list.:gun:

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Y2K King said:
ought to add a colt semi auto with that list.:gun:
Well, now that you mention it.....I occasionally carry a S&W CS9.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I am I missing something, or is $48 alot for a set of torqs? I paid $25 at sears for Leslie(sp?).

·
Registered
61 Posts
berserker said:
I am I missing something, or is $48 alot for a set of torqs? I paid $25 at sears for Leslie(sp?).
think you mean the lisle set not sure if my spelling right either pd 30 for mine at oreilys auto

1 - 17 of 17 Posts