V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have a flat profile chrome battery cover that I'd like to paint wrinkle black. However, I'd like to leave a small area of the chrome in the shape of a Maltese or Iron Cross for some flair. I'm trying to figure out a way to block off that cross shape on the cover so I can sand and paint around it, therefore leaving a chrome cross when I'm done. I thought about cutting an outline of it using a bunch of that blue painters tape, but, I'm not sure if that's the best way to go. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Whiffleboy

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I think you have the right answer. Tape it, cut it, sand it, shoot it.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Whiffleboy said:
All,

I have a flat profile chrome battery cover that I'd like to paint wrinkle black. However, I'd like to leave a small area of the chrome in the shape of a Maltese or Iron Cross for some flair. I'm trying to figure out a way to block off that cross shape on the cover so I can sand and paint around it, therefore leaving a chrome cross when I'm done. I thought about cutting an outline of it using a bunch of that blue painters tape, but, I'm not sure if that's the best way to go. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Whiffleboy
Go to an automotive paint supply shop. get a roll of 3m protective tape . One application is like 10 of regular tape . Cut out your design then scuff the chrome withy a heavy scotchbrite pad (green?) hit it with a coat of adhesion promoter then paint it.. But paint dont stick all that great to chrome the only product that I have seen with any durability is from Alsa corp but its very pricey http://www.alsacorp.com/products/clear4chrome/cl4ch_prodinfo.htm.

$129 for a qt and 1/2 pint of catalyst is $29.

Another thought is to go to one of the sign shops that do sandblasted wood signs. They use a rubberized tape to get the raised letters . I dont see why they couldn't do the same on your chrome . this way u would have the chrome sandblasted off where you want to paint and it will last longer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there,Fxsts is spot on with his first answer,but I would use 3m fine line tape on the outline of your cross.This ensures a nice fine edge when you remove the tape.Oh yeah, he is right when he says green scotchbrite.Hope this helps!Regards Mickey.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Fxsts103ci said:
Go to an automotive paint supply shop. get a roll of 3m protective tape . One application is like 10 of regular tape . Cut out your design then scuff the chrome withy a heavy scotchbrite pad (green?) hit it with a coat of adhesion promoter then paint it.. But paint dont stick all that great to chrome the only product that I have seen with any durability is from Alsa corp but its very pricey http://www.alsacorp.com/products/clear4chrome/cl4ch_prodinfo.htm.

$129 for a qt and 1/2 pint of catalyst is $29.

Another thought is to go to one of the sign shops that do sandblasted wood signs. They use a rubberized tape to get the raised letters . I dont see why they couldn't do the same on your chrome . this way u would have the chrome sandblasted off where you want to paint and it will last longer
I think blasting is the way to go here. It would be much faster and give the paint a better [email protected]:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts