V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
OldBoldPilot
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 Heritage Classic with Stage 1, K&N air filter, PCIII and D&D Fatcat (quiet baffle) pipes. I'm very pleased with its performance (I do a lot of solo, long-distance cruising), but would like to achieve as much torque in the lower-to-mid rpm range as possible without going to a build.

If I were to only install cams, which would you knowledgeable folks suggest? My indy recommends Andrews 37G for my goal. Any other ideas?

Also, he's quoting $1200 parts and labor. Is this in the ballpark?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,064 Posts
Philip said:
I have an '06 Heritage Classic with Stage 1, K&N air filter, PCIII and D&D Fatcat (quiet baffle) pipes. I'm very pleased with its performance (I do a lot of solo, long-distance cruising), but would like to achieve as much torque in the lower-to-mid rpm range as possible without going to a build.

If I were to only install cams, which would you knowledgeable folks suggest? My indy recommends Andrews 37G for my goal. Any other ideas?

Also, he's quoting $1200 parts and labor. Is this in the ballpark?
That is a great cam, but you need to port the heads and boost compression. By the time you get started. you might as well go to 95" pistons, bore your cylinders, have your heads ported use a .030 head gasket and the cam. That will give you the biggest bang for the buck. Somewhere near $2500 with labor. If you have efi, you will need a tune that is about 600 -100 with a PCIII or sert. Carbs are much cheaper. If you do it piecework, it will cost at least twice as much. You need a basic package or you are just wasting money.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
373 Posts
There will be no shortage of opinions on this!

To really take advantage of the 37, you need more than stock compression - like 9.5:1. Headwork helps to.

If it were me (and it's not), I'd use the Head-Quarters HQ-0034.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
454 Posts
On a stock 88" an Andrews 21 or 26 will work far better than the 37.

jmho

Bwana1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,064 Posts
You would have to use domed pistons on an 88 to get to 9.5 comp without cutting down the heads so much that it would be hard to keep an intake seal. This is why I said that you might as well go to 95", if you have to buy pistons and rehone, you might as well go bigger and bore and hone. A good street port with a .030 and a 95" makes about 9.5:1 comp.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
574 Posts
PhilM said:
There will be no shortage of opinions on this!

To really take advantage of the 37, you need more than stock compression - like 9.5:1. Headwork helps to.

If it were me (and it's not), I'd use the Head-Quarters HQ-0034.
Phil I was sorta of wondering wht the HQ-0034 only has 500 lift while the 37 andrews has 510, is it because that stock heads pretty much have done all they will do at 500 lift, I know it don't make since to put a 570 lift cam if the heads won't flow, am I right.
I really am thinking of putting these cams in my bike this winter also, the HQ's that is.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20 Posts
cam choice

I have a 2000 heritage stock 88 installed the andrews 37g with no other work done, I love it, the bike runs great installed at 32,000 miles have 56,500 and no problems. Carburated bike have not dynoed but can smoke a 95 inch kit in a duce. the 26g may be a better choice for two up, it's your choice when it comes to cams. Also have a 2004 SEEG with a 103 installed the woods tw5g cam a stump puller but alot of valve train noise. No valve train noise with the 37g
good luck on your cam choice.
 

·
OldBoldPilot
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
route66paul said:
Somewhere near $2500 with labor.
I hear you, route66paul, and what you say makes a lot of sense. But I really don't think I need the full boat for my purposes, and $2500 is way out of range at this time. But I appreciate your detailed reply...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,582 Posts
Cam swap only in an otherwise stock 88 I will use the HQ 34's every time, excellent performance, great mileage, nice quiet valvetrain, did them on two different bikes this summer and was more than happy both times.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
373 Posts
Tnford27 said:
is it because that stock heads pretty much have done all they will do at 500 lift,
No, not necessarily. Stock heads & springs will handle a more than .500 w/o issue. It's just the design of that particular grind.

Like BVBob said, I have used this cam as a bolt-on on several bikes with nothing more than pipes, hi-flow, & tune and the owners love them! I also know folks that have used them with much more and love them too. It's really a quite flexible grind.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,508 Posts
Cams

bwana01 said:
On a stock 88" an Andrews 21 or 26 will work far better than the 37.

jmho

Bwana1
Very true words on the Andrews units.
A Bob Wood 6 with 4 degree advance key will do it, and then when you want more, pull the key, go to 95"/98" with a good set of heads, and it'll be still there again, but waaaaaaaaaay more.
Scott
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,566 Posts
Same with the RR525 bolt in cams we offer, great low end torque and linear power with softer ramps so less chance of valve noise. When you decide to go bigger and do some head work this cam will keep on climbing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,064 Posts
PhilM said:
No, not necessarily. Stock heads & springs will handle a more than .500 w/o issue. It's just the design of that particular grind.

Like BVBob said, I have used this cam as a bolt-on on several bikes with nothing more than pipes, hi-flow, & tune and the owners love them! I also know folks that have used them with much more and love them too. It's really a quite flexible grind.
The stock heads will handle a higher lift, and it might help. A good street port with stock valves will have almost the same flow at .500 as .600, so why bother? There are hot cams of the basically the same grind that go to .500 or .600.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
bwana01 said:
On a stock 88" an Andrews 21 or 26 will work far better than the 37.

jmho

Bwana1
Yep. If you are doing cam only, you might even want to stay with the 21. And for future peace of mind, while you are there, convert to gear drive, eliminating the chain and tensioners. Won't cost much more.
 

·
Bon temps rouler!
Joined
·
685 Posts
Hey Philip:

I have an '06 Heritage Softail Classic, Stage I with HQ-0034 Cams and I love it!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
I installed HQ 0034 cams (aka 500) in my bone stock '04 EG 88 with SE a/c and Rinehart TD's ("terrible pipes" according to Doug at Head-Quarters when I bought the cams) when the cam chain tensioners were replaced. Used stock pushrods, covers, etc. With a mild SERT tune (no pinging or decel popping) the bike makes 83 hp and 91 tq. It will be further tuned in a couple of weeks because the tuner and I are sure there are some cells that can be leaned and timing slightly advanced.

More importantly the bike is fast for what it is. Rode with PhilM several months ago and he said he thought my bike was one of the fastest 88's he'd seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Could someone explain to me why the HQ-0034 would be more of a torquer than the Andrews 37. As far as valve timing, lift and duration they look very close to me. As a mater of fact, the HQ has more overlap which I always thought made it more of a top end cam. Specs that I have never understood much is the LSA. The Andrews is 106*, and the HQ is 102*. Would this make a difference? Thanks!
 

·
03 Heritage
Joined
·
491 Posts
I have a 2003 flstci. I put 26G cams with 4 degree key. I fiddled with the SERT and have it running great. Never Dynod, so I can't give you objective numbers.
No doubt I'm leaving some on the table...a competent engine tuner could do better. I will say that I could feel a very nice increase in low-end torque and great highway passing power. I'm happy. A mix of around town and highway I typically get about 42 MPG. I have gotten as low as 38 MPG and as high as 48 MPG. I also have pipes and air cleaner. This 26G/4 degree key was Steve's (GMR) advice last year. I don't know if he is still recommending this combination.
Later...I should have mentioned that the rest of the engine is stock.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,928 Posts
06night train said:
Could someone explain to me why the HQ-0034 would be more of a torquer than the Andrews 37. As far as valve timing, lift and duration they look very close to me. As a mater of fact, the HQ has more overlap which I always thought made it more of a top end cam. Specs that I have never understood much is the LSA. The Andrews is 106*, and the HQ is 102*. Would this make a difference? Thanks!

for comparison, the woods tw6 cams are at 100* getting the valvse open quickly, closing quickly, the ramps come into play as well. ramp angles are over my head to explain, but if ground correctly, they obviously work.

maybe someone could help us out on this "camspeak"?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
373 Posts
06night train said:
Could someone explain to me why the HQ-0034 would be more of a torquer than the Andrews 37.
When comparing grinds, by spec on paper, it is difficult to compare and predict results of the HQ cams (asymmetrical lobe) vs. "most" others (symmetrical lobes). They simply are not the same - classic apples / oranges scenario.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top