V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Got a question for military types about putting my DOD sticker on my bike. What kind of setup does everyone use for displaying your base sticker on your Harleys? Don't really want to put it on the fork tube of my Fatboy like I did on previous bikes. Any brackets or plates out there on the market already?
Thanks,
Jimbo

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Don't know where you might get one but I saw one the other day on the frame down tubes behind the triple tree. Looked like it was made to be there.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I made a bracket for mine. I used clamps that you find in the electrical section of your local hardware store. They are metal with soft rubber on the inside (to attach to the frame). I used a piece of plastic (easy for me to work with and light) which could easily be replaced with your choice of metal. I drilled two holes in the plate, and mounted the plate to the clamps which wrap around a horizantal frame section near my front head. Of course, my frame is different, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
629 Posts
sned said:
At Travis they gave me a badge like thing I can hang around my neck. Ask, it wouldn't hurt.
How is your security up there? The rent-a-cops they have here make it harder to get on base with an I.D. then without.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There aren't many Harley's on base, and the guards (Active Duty) are fairly regular so they usually know me on sight. They still do their job though and check my ID every time. I'd be concerned if they didn't.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I won't get started on our base.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
sned said:
At Travis they gave me a badge like thing I can hang around my neck. Ask, it wouldn't hurt.
Travis? Damn, takes me back to my VQ-3 days when we would have our Navy Tacamo C-130's out there, all the memories of flying in and out..

Well, at Barbers Point we had a little necklace pouch thing as well that my PR (Parachute Rigger) made for some of us...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a Deuce without a windshield and also did not want to put any decals on my forks. I got a small "chrome muffler shield" from JCWhitney catalog. Cost me 14 bucks. It fits right on the trees just like it was made for it. With the chrome forks, you can't tell that it is extra. Then I put the decals on the muffler shield. I can also take the darn thing off when I want!

I figured if someone tells me that I can't put it there because it can be taken off, then I'll point to all the bikes that have windshields that can also be taken off. So far no hassles.

Good luck

·
Registered
544 Posts
I got two chrome plates, the type they sell at the local Dealer, in Fairfax, for inspection stickers and pop riveted one under the other. The plates mount on the bolt that goes through the lower leg into the front caliper. That way you don't have to stick a sticker on your bike any where.

Well I got two and pop riveted one to the bottom side of the other and put my DoD sticker there. Top is for inspection sticker, bottom is for base sticker. I also cut down the sticker a little, removing the boarder.

The only problem I have is all the MPs, (not rent-a-cops where I work), like to talk and look at my bike, so I talk to them until the next car comes up behind me at the gate. But they have never given me a hard time and love my new V-Rod.

·
<{{{><
170 Posts
I work at Travis and after 9-11 an ID card is all I need to get in. Before that, pass and ID gave me a yearly badge instead of stickers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts