V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the base gaskets on a 97' 1340 Evo. I'm sure there's an after market gasket that's better than the OEM (you know, the kind that leak). What's a good brand/type? Also, any body got any good tips on the process? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
None. Make sure the surfaces are machined correctly and use ThreeBond, it will never leak again.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I HAVE THE JAMES METAL GASKETS ON MINE AND I RUN THE [email protected] OUT OF IT. NO LEAKS YET. JUST MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS AS CLEAN AS YOU CAN GET IT BEFORE ASSY.

·
Registered
701 Posts
i ran James Gaskets on my bike and they were great!! I even got stuck into a position where I had to reuse them and they sealed great the 2nd time around! I don't suggest using base gaskets more than once though. I only did it because I had to get the bike back up and running since my car was down and nobody had replacement James Gaskets in stock. Since I had no probs, never bothered to replace them.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
If you are having troubles with leaks have you had the jugs base's lapped?? Easy to do and makes the sealing much easier when the surface is flat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts