V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , I've owned several evo' s and I've always done my own work on my bikes , anyway I bought a used 94 with 60k on her , that supposedly had the base gaskets replaced , I've noticed tiny bubbles coming from the right side corner of the rear cylinder.. just changed the cam and would have re-did the base gaskets if I'd of known it was doing this , anyway can I run it like this and just keep an eye on it ? She runs perfect except for this issue , no oil leaking just a little constant bubble , when its warming up , I think it goes away after you ride it for awhile , anyway how serious is this.. thanks

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
If it is just seeping and your head bolts are still tight, shouldn't be an issue. But if the head bolt(s) have loosened, then it's an issue that should be fixed.
Have you replaced the base gaskets on the other evos that you have owned? ( since you do your own work)

·
Registered
11 Posts
All good Harley's leak! Just kidding, if it's a leak you need to deal with it. If it looks like road grime and not liquid seeping I would ride it and keep an I on it. My Shovel has dark grimy spots at several areas but only leaks a little from the transmission, a pretty common thing. An evo I was had did as you described.

·
Super Moderator
21,737 Posts
If its just one spot, the yes you can run it.

You might try cleaning it up real well with brake clean, then blowing it off with compressed air. Then work some rtv into the leaking area with your finger. That usually stops the leak for a while.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
tiny bubbles...wish mine were tiny bubbles!...i got some leakage but not bad enough to tear down a good runner..yet!..if mine was out of control then id fix asap....depending where its leaking you can try things to stop the mess...silicon gel..bungie chord wrapped around...dont laugh!..worked for me a long while back...a rag stuffed tight behind my lifter blocks stops my mess for now.....but i need to change its diaper once in a while.

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
My EVO has been “seeping” very lightly around the base of the rear cylinder for a few years.
In the words of Bobby D - I used to care, but things have changed.

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
... is this a situation ...

where the ROCKER COVERS can be removed
&
The Cylinder Jug Bolts - CHECKED or RE-TORQUED ?
You're that close, just go ahead and pull the heads and jugs and be done with it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
You're that close, just go ahead and pull the heads and jugs and be done with it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
60,000 miles.
If he does replace the base gaskets the odds are good that it will need a top end re-build too, which adds a few dollars to the project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it is just seeping and your head bolts are still tight, shouldn't be an issue. But if the head bolt(s) have loosened, then it's an issue that should be fixed.
Have you replaced the base gaskets on the other evos that you have owned? ( since you do your own work)
Never had to , they didn't have this kinda mileage, I guess my concern is that it might warp the case at the base , I dont care about how it looks , just don't want to make things worse , it is seriously little slow bubbles , I just know its not supposed to leak there , thanks for your response.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All good Harley's leak! Just kidding, if it's a leak you need to deal with it. If it looks like road grime and not liquid seeping I would ride it and keep an I on it. My Shovel has dark grimy spots at several areas but only leaks a little from the transmission, a pretty common thing. An evo I was had did as you described.
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts