V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! Sent my heads off to Big Boyz to get redone on my '99 Nighttrain. While taking the heads off, I broke the seal on the base gaskets and figured I might as well change them, also. What's easiest, pulling the cylinders off the pistons or leaving the pistons in the cylinders and pulling the pins out. I don't have any specialty tools to do this, although I'm sure I can round up a ring compressor. The motor only has 9,000 miles on it, so I am not going to replace rings. Also, should I scrape off all the carbon build-up on top of the piston and if so, what do you guys use? Thanks alot for any advice!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BikeMike said:
I would leave the pistons in the cylinder so you do not distrub the rings, I have done this several times with no problems, make sure you place a clean rag in the top of the crank case when removing the circlip. Any time you remove the head you must/should replace the base gasket. good luck

Do I need any special tools to do this? Also, should I scrape off the carbon build-up or leave it alone? Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot for the advice, Mike. There is quite a bit of build-up, so I think what I will do is after I get the cylinder and piston removed (piston still in cylinder), I will tip it upside down and scrape it off to prevent any debris from falling into the grooves. Again, thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.