V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my (almost new to me) 96 FLHTP in the shop last week for 10K svce. Base gaskets leaking. Dealer quotes me 8hrs labor + parts. I'm assuming the total tab would be about $600-650. Being a somewhat brave soul, I've been thinking I could save some $$, and retain my independence, by doing it myself. I'll have the sheet metal off this winter anyway to paint. Already have the service manual, but not all the special tools. Probably ought to do a top end while I'm in there....This is getting to be a big job, I think.

Questions:
Anyone out there done this at home?
Are there better gaskets than OEM?
Bike's got 50Kmi; what's the probability I have to re-bore the cylinders?
Anything I should watch out for?

Appreciate any input my fellow riders can offer.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Questions:
-Anyone out there done this at home? I took it to an indy shop I used alot. I don't remember exactly what it cost but itsasn't $600. I'm thinking more like $300.

-Are there better gaskets than OEM? James Gaskets.

-Bike's got 50Kmi; what's the probability I have to re-bore the cylinders?
Mine had 70,000 at the time I had new base gaskets put in, after riding it leaking for about 30,000. The cyclinders didn't "need" anything, but since it was apart, I went ahead and had it done, new rings and some "mild" head work.

-Anything I should watch out for? Valve guide seals.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Base gaskets

You know I remember hearing the guys in the service dept. talking about Harley replacing the base gaskets even if the bike was out of warrantee because they know they were a problem, you just have to pursue it. Ask about it at the dealer first them call Harley customer service and tell them anything thats sounds convincing like, my base gaskets started weeping oil around 6000 miles, dealer said it wasn't that bad yet and that they could do it when you came in for the 10,000 mile service, by the time you got that milage you were out of warantee and now they tell you that you will have to foot the bill, see what they tell you, you might be surprised, they may pick up the tab, you have low milage and they are well aware of the base gasket issue. Sometimes out of warrantee is still covered, I know. James base gaskets have a good reputation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Base gaskets at home

I'm also in the process of replacing the base gaskets, rings , valve seals, cam, cam bearing & seals, and doing some mild head porting and polishing after 45,000 miles on my FXR. If you follow the manual and the instructions with the parts, you'll do fine. You can always ask in this forum - most of the scoop is good gouge or it will be exposed right quick! James gaskets are the best. I also installed the "oil fix" dowel kit in the cylinder bases - but I didn't use the stock-looking gaskets that came in the kit. The James Gasket top end kit is all inclusive and top quality. I change my oil at about 2500 to 3000 miles and the engine is in great shape. Measure your cylinders before reboring, mine still had the cross hatching and only very fine verticals on the thrust faces. The pistons still had the machining marks on the skirts. This has been a basically stock engine for 10 years. High revs and high heat are their worst enemy.
Give it a whirl and enjoy the experience. PackRatFXR

WarrenL said:
Had my (almost new to me) 96 FLHTP in the shop last week for 10K svce. Base gaskets leaking. Dealer quotes me 8hrs labor + parts. I'm assuming the total tab would be about $600-650. Being a somewhat brave soul, I've been thinking I could save some $$, and retain my independence, by doing it myself. I'll have the sheet metal off this winter anyway to paint. Already have the service manual, but not all the special tools. Probably ought to do a top end while I'm in there....This is getting to be a big job, I think.

Questions:
Anyone out there done this at home?
Are there better gaskets than OEM?
Bike's got 50Kmi; what's the probability I have to re-bore the cylinders?
Anything I should watch out for?

Appreciate any input my fellow riders can offer.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I will not do base gaskets on an EVO if the customer will not let me put on Hannas' base gaskets. About 8 dollars a piece. Make sure your cylinder studs are tight, it is very common for cylinder studs to work loose causing the leaks, on EVO's and TC's. Any time I pull off a set of heads and cylinders I alsways double check cylinder studs for loosening. There is always "always" at least one loose. Get yourself a ball bearing ( so the head bolt dont stick ) and put it in the short head bolt, then screw it down on the stud, then tighten it up. With the ball bearing in the head bolt, it will break loose and not undue the stud you just tightened. That and the base gaskets ( hannas' ) and you will be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
leaking base gaskets have been a problem since day one with evo's........I've personally pulled apart 20 -30 engines just for this problem and if you put stock base gaskets back in, it will start leaking again in about 10 - 15,000 miles. Use a set of james base gaskets and a set of Hayden oil dowels and you'll never have another problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
HIPPO said:
No special tools needed other then a torque wrench.
Yeah, never mind the ring comprssor or the valve spring compressor or the piston pin retaining clip installer or the micrometer to measure anything or the dail bore gauge or the boring bar or the hone or the lifter block alignment tools or the small hole gauge, or the rocker arm bushing installer or the rist pin bushing installer or the valve guide reams or rist pin reams or the torque plates or the ball hone or the valve guide seal installer, or the valve seat cutter or the dial caliper or the intake manifold wrench, feeler gauges..............Those things are for SISSYS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts