V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First I'd like to say I'm a new Harley rider and just learning so anything you post will help me and I need all of the help I can get. I'm considering putting Basanni True Duals with MegaPhones and free flowing air filter kit on my 2005 pure stock fuel injected Ultra Classic. First I'd like to hear from anyone running this combo. I'm also considering tuning it myself with a DTO, Has anyone on here done this as well and how did the bike run afterwards, popping, rich, lean, MPG change, noise level and any other noticable changes you encountered after making these changes. Also I'm a little confused about one thing. Can I run the stock Harley software and simply add and adjust out the DTO to iron out ALL the tuning problems? Or do I have to use the DTO as a fine tuner after a Harley dealer downloads a program into the engine controller? Thanks in advance.

·
Fuel SYS ENG
144 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. I have an 03 ultra with similar combo. I stuck with the stock ECU and programmed via SERT and dyno. My bike is pretty loud according to the folks who ride behind me:brows:

Someone else will need to chime in on the DTO setup. One last option to consider, Zipper's offers the Thundermax ECU. It is a direct replacement ECU kit, complete with tuning software, all for under $400.00.

With either setup I still recommend a baseline dyno to insure you don't run the bike too rich or lean, immediately after your install. The price is negotiable consider the money we spent for our ultras.

Again, welcome!

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
I have a stock RKC '05 with this exact setup except a DTT TCFI. It is loud but I like it. If you take the baffles out it is real loud.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Basanni Pipe

Vetteman said:
:welcome: to the forum. I have an 03 ultra with similar combo. I stuck with the stock ECU and programmed via SERT and dyno. My bike is pretty loud according to the folks who ride behind me:brows:

Someone else will need to chime in on the DTO setup. One last option to consider, Zipper's offers the Thundermax ECU. It is a direct replacement ECU kit, complete with tuning software, all for under $400.00.

With either setup I still recommend a baseline dyno to insure you don't run the bike too rich or lean, immediately after your install. The price is negotiable consider the money we spent for our ultras.

Again, welcome!
Thanks Vetteman for your responce. I heard one set of these pipes on a bike at the local H-D dealer but the bike was indoors and It is difficult to tell how they actually sound inside. The tuning process is the most difficult for me to make a decision on, there is so much stuff out there. I've emailed a dealer in Nashville, Tn. and one in Birmingham, Al. to see if they would tune it for me and neither has responded, I guess they want to sell the pipes as well as tune it and I've not yet given them that option yet. I've been thinking about buying a DTO that will allow me to tune it according to the sound, plug check and exhaust color along with the help of DTO. But I agree that a proper tune is the way to go with new software. I've got a couple months to decide on which way to go. Once again , thanks for your wise input.

·
Registered
786 Posts
As long as your ride is pretty much stock any of the fuel adders, DFO,TFI etc. will be just fine. You might notice a decrease in fuel mileage but that is the trade off for slightly better performance. If you decide to go "95, cams and all that other stuff that you may have heard about then the DFO is not gonna cut it because it cannot adjust ignition timing issues, that is where PCIII or SERT comes into play. If your bike is a stg.1 88" slap that DFO on and enjoy.
AP
AP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Basanni Pipes

Thanks Antonio For your post. I'll post whatever I choice I made in a couple month and let everyone know how it turned out. Pondrun

·
Registered
413 Posts
When I changed over to a ‘true dual’ setup, although not a Basanni system, I found it as necessary to reduce fuel in the ECM profile as to add. You might need more than a simple fuel adder to get the best tune when running true duals. Maybe a few other ‘true dual’ operators out there will chime in if they also found this to be true.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
When you go from the factory head pipe to true duals, you need to tune the balance/offset between the two cylinders. Adding fuel accross the board will not result in an optimized setting. If you look at the map tables in the Dynojet PCIII database, you can see several maps identical save for the exhuast. If you look at a pair of maps for say an SE95" build with slipons versus the same build with True Duals, you can see the RPM ranges and percentage of adjustment needed to compensate for the true duals. Even if you are not using a PCIII, you can get a good idea of where the changes are needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts