V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about snatching this to use on my 09 night train. It is a clutch diaphragm spring that claims 20% stronger over stock diaphragm spring. I am just wanting to ask you fellas your opinions and would this be as strong or stronger than the screaming eagle diaphragm. It is a Heavy Duty Clutch Diaphragm Spring made by Barnett. The part number is 502-00-01008

Also how hard and what does changing the diaphragm entail? Is there any how to's on here of the procedure? Also if there is a how to or instructions could someone throw me a bone or link to it possibly. I know I may be beating a dead horse here, but I just wanna know what kinda job this is so I can start doing things myself. Also, I do not have a service manual and I know I should buy one, but I really like other peoples own experiences or tutorials more.. I find for one they are more colorful, and I just like em better...

Majority of my question is would you buy the 20% stronger Barnett Diaphragm or wait and buy a Screaming Eagle? I dunno what the percent stronger the Screaming Eagle is, but Id love to know.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
The Barnett definitely pulls a bit harder than the SE spring, not sure of the poundage number though. The SE spring will pretty much get everything out the stock clutch pack has to offer.
As far as the swap it is very straightforward, you will need to drain the primary and remove the primary cover, then back off the clutch adjustment at the cable in the front of the frame, then remove the 5 bolts (10mm socket) on the clutch basket alternating in a cross pattern, remove the circular retainer and spring, (don't let the outer plate fall out) install new spring and retainer, tighten bolts to service manual specs(alternating), install primary cover, refill with the proper amount of oil and then adjust free play in clutch lever.
Be sure to clean locktite off of bolts and chase all threads before assembly. While the factory generally does not have locktite on the 5 spring retainer bolts I always use a dab, blue for the outer cover as well.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Screaming Eagle is 380lb spring, if I have my figures correct. I have no idea what figure Barnett is using to base their % increase off of. HD changed spring pressure from 300lbs '98-'05 to 280lbs 06-up. I have a 340lb spring so depending on what spring they use for a starting figure, it could be said that my spring is 10+% stronger or 20% stronger than stock.The same springs work from '98 and up. The SE could be called 35% stronger (280 starting point) or 25+% stronger (300lb starting point).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmmm thats some good mathematics there qtrracer, lol i was tryin to figure it out myself. sounds like u had a better grasp than myself tho.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
So I'm thinking about snatching this to use on my 09 night train. It is a clutch diaphragm spring that claims 20% stronger over stock diaphragm spring. I am just wanting to ask you fellas your opinions and would this be as strong or stronger than the screaming eagle diaphragm. It is a Heavy Duty Clutch Diaphragm Spring made by Barnett. The part number is 502-00-01008

Also how hard and what does changing the diaphragm entail? Is there any how to's on here of the procedure? Also if there is a how to or instructions could someone throw me a bone or link to it possibly. I know I may be beating a dead horse here, but I just wanna know what kinda job this is so I can start doing things myself. Also, I do not have a service manual and I know I should buy one, but I really like other peoples own experiences or tutorials more.. I find for one they are more colorful, and I just like em better...

Majority of my question is would you buy the 20% stronger Barnett Diaphragm or wait and buy a Screaming Eagle? I dunno what the percent stronger the Screaming Eagle is, but Id love to know.
@gree: 100%

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Get the barnett, you won't be disappointed, but do not use their clutch plates. If you are going to replace the clutch use a energyone kit with their spring. Not sure about the late model bikes but the torque on the older clutch spring bolts is 90-100 in lbs. If you don't have a service manual you probably don't have a torque wrench, so do NOT over tighten them, they strip and even break very easy (lesson learned as a kid).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts