V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking a set of new tires and new billet rims into the shop to be mounted and balanced this weekend. Do I have to have the sprocket and rotors attached to the wheels for correct balancing?

·
Registered
63 Posts
not really..it's easier to mount the tires with them off..I just did my rear tire last weekend..balanced with disc and pulley off..no weight needed..rebalanced with everything on..no difference..

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
It's recommended that they all be on there. May or may not make a difference though.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Is balancing needed? I have the dealer balance, since its there and they are taking tire off rim for me. Knew a guy who claimed with good tires not nescary. Just put the dot by valve stem, if I remember correctly.

He helped me change my first tire. Didn't balance and never noticed.

So just wondering.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Sometimes it doesn't matter, most of the time it does. At least that's been my experience. Every tire is a little bit different and over the course of time, rims also change. I balanced quite a few that take 0 ounces of weight and also balanced some that balanced better with the yellow dot 180 degrees around from the valve stem.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here is a neat idea a friend of mine does with his weghts, he mounts them on the inside so you can't see them. He has aftermarket rims and it gives a cleaner look. You do have to mount and unmount the tire to do it, but if the clean look is what your after it works. He has run them like that on 3 bikes for years with no problems.

·
Life is short pray hard!
131 Posts
Good Idea Paul! I too have mounted a lot of tires and very seldom do I see one that doesn't need some weight. You could run them without balancing but you could pickup a vibration and drastically reduce tire life. One front tire I changed a while back hadn't been balanced and the tire had cupped pretty bad which was causing a vibration in the bike. I never mount tires without balancing them also.

Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts