V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering.... Does anyone have any experience with the Balance Master? Dynamic balance system. Bolts on in place of stock compensating sprocket. Also available for clutch shaft too.

Testimonials range from great to some improvement as far as reducing vibrations.

Does anyone have any real world experience?

Thanks,

IKE

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think they may do something, its hard to tell for positive if they are worth it
A friend and I did a little test.
We took a high speed metal cutting lathe with a 4jaw chuck and turned one of the jaws around causing the chuck to be out of balance and ran it up to 4000rpm, there was considerable vibration.
We then clamped either the clutch or sproket shaft balancemaster in the lathe chuck and ran it up again. We noticed less vibration, but it wasnt eliminated.
Not real scientific, but it was cheap entertainment.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
I used them on my engine and transmission .... they are in a box somewhere now. Guess what I think of them? :D

·
Banned
169 Posts
Actually...It's called active balancing, not dynamic...or it used to be anyway.

Given it's only done to one wheel should speak louder than anything else. A proper dynamic balance will bring both wheels into harmonious balance to eliminate the chance for what can be understood as the bicycle pedal effect (wheels fighting each other, wobbling) probably more important to how your H-D feels than even a factor change, IMHO

All they really do is change the balance factor to something a tad higher, which may or may not be noticeable.

I liken most of their positive testimonials to a psychological factor not unlike those from people who equate louder with faster, a change to a different oil with cooler running and better shifting etc. or any other number of adjustments different than what is specified as somehow being better.

They will however help on something like a wheel or clutch housing (if it's out of balance to begin with)where the component is to run in total balance, but when it comes to a flywheel assembly with a reciprocating component (pistons, top of rods) they will do nothing, or next to it!

:cheers:

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
I think these sort of things are right up there with the little magnets that are supposed to make the traffic lights change to green and those brass turbulator thingies that go into the manifold that are supposed to improve horsepower and mileage.

·
Registered
372 Posts
No, No, you attatch the tubulators with the magnets to the front fender and will never get another speeding ticket! And improve your sex life.

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
???

Oh shoot,
I thought the magnets were supposed to go in the gas tank to align the molecules and the tubulators on the handlebars to scare away the deer.:beer:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Sounds to me like you are all saying it doesn't work. :bowdwn: :bowdwn: :bowdwn:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts