V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
….some parts to do it with Harley parts.....
I made this upgrade when I was repairing a really sloppy shifter due to a worn shifter shaft sleeve. It does make a great improvement in shift quality. I can't say anything first hand about using Baker's solution as I used all Harley parts in mine. Lots of stuff available cheap in online auctions from motorcycle disassemblers. A careful study of the parts list and you can reuse some of your innards that are still in good shape. A donor from 2001 or newer should have everything needed.

You get the hollow drum (less weight and inertia than solid), roller detent instead of the plunger, neutral switch only applies pressure to drum in neutral), newer style, not prone to breakage, round cross section shifter centering spring. I have no idea if all these improvements were copied from Baker or were all the MOCO's own ideas, but they all work. The only time I have a problem shifting is when wearing clunky winter boots and I get a little lazy.

I'm not planning on an electric shift I prefer to shift manually.
Dynojet Quick Shifter is the only electric/air shifter I am familiar with. You could ride your bike like it wasn't there if you wanted to, You don't have to be in full race mode at all times. I've only seen it on FI bikes, but I do believe they have a universal kit for carbed bikes.

Another improvement you might want to consider is the Andrews close ratio 1st gear set. It makes 1st last about 5 mph longer, giving you enough time to get your foot up to the shifter. Also, I'm not sure why, but 1-2 and 2-1 shifts are now smoother than the rest, almost like a real motorcycle. Probably the way they cut the gears. Sometimes I wonder what a full set of their gears would be like.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good to know, thanks. Yes I only ride my one FXR. Occasionally my sons chopper but not very often. That was my concern if it would mess me up for other bike. But I really ride mine pretty exclusively. Does the regular pattern drum really shift that much better than stock drum?
Years ago, I had a '49 Pan with tank shift, An '82 FLH, and a late '70's 850 Norton. Talk about getting confused !!! Norton shifter is on the right, and shift down. After riding my FLH awhile then jump on the chopped Norton, try stepping on brake, but actually shifting bike into higher gear. Big time "head rush".

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yah that must be a hard switch to get used to... Lol. I moved back to my original thread "Death and rebirth of an 89 FXR" to continue this. Feel free to follow progress there. I wound up buying a standard pattern Baker drum just today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In 1972 I had a Kawasaki 750, 3 cylinder, 2 stroke that had that transmission and it was awesome. Never missed shift when banging through the gears and pulling wheelies while shifting gears. You’ll love it!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts