V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have or had one of these on their 5 speed bike..? For those not familiar. This changes shift pattern to N1234 with neutral at full down position. This gives neutral an actual position instead of just a detent between gearsThis pattern prevents a missed neutral shift from 1st to 2nd and more for drag race or speed shifting gears. I do allot of hard fast shifting with the FXR thought it may be beneficial. Never ran one. Would love some feedback

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
been running one for awhile now and it has become natural, works great no problems to report. Use their forks at the same time if you can. Now if you really want to get down try the reverse pattern although haven't myself but i'm sure pretty cool in itself.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that one does sound interesting also step down through the gears instead of up. Thanks for the feedback. Not many running that type of setup. Hard to find info. I think I want to try it out.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know, thanks. Yes I only ride my one FXR. Occasionally my sons chopper but not very often. That was my concern if it would mess me up for other bike. But I realy ride mine pretty exclusively. Does the regular pattern drum really shift that much better than stock drum?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I believe my first MC, a 65 Suzuki 80?, came with that shift pattern.... I have always assumed it was a failure due to all since have had neutral sandwiched between 1st and 2nd??

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yah it would take a few rides to get used to I'm sure. I've only missed a 1-2 shift a few times. My rev limiter at 6500 saved me from any damage but I'm sure it didn't like it. Makes sense though to remove the risk for hard launching. I don't hit the juice till 3rd at 3000 anyway. I'll tell you that thing revs so fast on the juice it's frightening.. you wouldn't have much chance of reacting and getting your finger off the button if it missed a gear.

·
Super Moderator
20,087 Posts
The Baker drums will kill off a lot of false neutrals, regardless of which pattern you choose. On an FXR, if you want a shorter stoke, you can put a Dyna lever in the primary while you have it apart.

Back when I was young, Harleys shifted on the right. Everything else was called goofy foot.
Now anything that shifts on the right is a goofy foot.

Switching back and forth on those 70's Sportsters had me using the gear shifter to brake more than once.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
another option is to switch to the later model hollow drum which works like butter compared to what you have now.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Baker drums will kill off a lot of false neutrals, regardless of which pattern you choose. On an FXR, if you want a shorter stoke, you can put a Dyna lever in the primary while you have it apart.

Back when I was young, Harleys shifted on the right. Everything else was called goofy foot.
Now anything that shifts on the right is a goofy foot.

Switching back and forth on those 70's Sportsters had me using the gear shifter to brake more than once.
So in your opinion will the regular pattern be just as good for warding off missed shift?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have been running one for three years on my 2000 Heritage Springer. I LOVE IT. I just wish it was 5,4,3,2,1,N so that each upshift was a downstroke. Unfortunately, that is not made, and Baker has no plans for one. The reverse pattern shifter is 5,4,3,2,N,1 .

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yah the reverse pattern would have to be weird to get used to. Then you'd be all messed u riding different bike.. The N1 drum isn't that big a change compared to reversed. Do see the advantage though. Thanks for the input hard to find anyone running one.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey tall terry, what's your thoughts N1 or standard pattern Baker drum? I'm not planning on an electric shift I prefer to shift manually. Also this is my everyday ride so when not beating it senseless it'll just be ridden.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
the point is form your own opinion, that is the fun part.

some parts to do it with Harley parts.

shifter drum (HD 33383-02) buy used with pillow blocks
shifter mechanism (HD 34972-02B)
shifter mechanism sleeve (34979-00)
gear selector centering screw (HD 34978-00A)
neutral switch (33904-00A) normally open, white one.

Good BAKER Gearheads video on the neutral switch.

Jims Shifter Shaft Sleeve Tool 1664

1 - 20 of 25 Posts