V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm replacing my T88 w/ 510g cams for an S&S T111, with my riding style I quiet often found myself looking for a 6th gear on the highway. While I am doing the install is it worth it to put in the DD6, or just do the pulley and call it a day. I know I will lose some bottom end with the pulley but will I really notice it?
Anybody with this experience, what say you?
:coffee:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Man

In my experience it depends on the 1st gear in the box..
The first gear get's you outa the hole, that's very important,, of course there is some loss of grunt from 2nd to 5th but unless you're street racing it prob won't bother you and of course,, you can down-shift if needed..

In my 120" sickle I run a 2.44 to 1 first gear.. If I go higher than 3.32 to 1 Final drive I feel a definate diff in Low-end so,, I sometimes slip in a 3.24 to 1 Final drive only if taking long trips..

In my 93" shovel I run a 3.00 to 1 first gear (big difference) and I only feel a diff in low-end grunt if I go higher than 3.18 Final drive,, I generally keep a 3.24 Final Drive in that sickle except for long trips also..

My point---- if your First gear is the common 3.24 to 1 then raising your final drive via a 34T pulley is prob the way I personally would go..

BTW,, I am able to switch gearing soo easy cuz I run old-style 4-spds in both sickles with tapered main-shaft and old-style 1.5" 8mm belt drive.. I can swap the motor pulleys and the Clutch-shell pulleys in moments and go from a low 1.59 primary drive up to a high 1.52 Primary drive..

Remember,, you'll maybe have to buy a new rear belt..

have a ball

·
Registered
243 Posts
So I'm replacing my T88 w/ 510g cams for an S&S T111, with my riding style I quiet often found myself looking for a 6th gear on the highway. While I am doing the install is it worth it to put in the DD6, or just do the pulley and call it a day. I know I will lose some bottom end with the pulley but will I really notice it?
The biggest deciding factor is your bike and the total weight. If your on a touring model and ride two up often, then the pulley might not be a good choice.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The biggest deciding factor is your bike and the total weight. If your on a touring model and ride two up often, then the pulley might not be a good choice.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
I have the DD-6 with the 27 tooth comp sprocket and love it, shifts good, 6th is very usable, neutral is a breeze to find and it is very quiet...

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! Frisco-Ridgid, that sounds like a sweet set-up you've got going on.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around HP,Torque, and Gearing. The DD6 sounds like you kind of get the best of both worlds, good out of the hole, lower Rpm's up top, it's just a lot of coin. My other thought, was since I'm putting in a motor with torque I haven't felt yet, if I lose some of that torque with the 34 tooth pulley, I guess I can't miss something I've never felt?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts