V-Twin Forum banner

Baker DD6 or OD6 Transmission

29K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Colonel Sanders 
#1 ·
well guys, i had the 3:37 gearing installed in my 03 Flhti and I am planning on riding out to sturgis next year. But now i need a six speed to lower the RPM's down while on the interstate. 3500 rpm at 70 mph is alittle to much for that long of a ride, just not sure of what gear set to use and what gearing to use with the 3:37 gearing. just trying to get some input and suggestions,Thanks in advance and as always.......

Ride Safe

#2 ·
Last year the dealership installed the OD6 instead of the DD6 that was on the work order (Parts orderd the wrong kit). The SM let me use the OD6 for about 5K until I brought it in for the winter. I liked the positive stop on the DD6 the 6th gear on the OD lets you keep moving the shifter up (feels strange) either one will require a speedo calibrater (I used a S&S) and they put it back on the dyno.

They both are much better than the stock unit for shift feel. for the extra money go with the DD6. I belive Baker indicates by design the DD6 is more efficient.

#3 ·
DD6 by far!! It's a true overdrive, and you don't have to alter your tranny case. With the SE OD6 speed, you have to drill out something, maybe a larger bearing? I'm not sure, but you can never go back to a 5 speed after that. With the DD6, If you want to keep it for another bike, you just pull it out and drop the 5 speed back in.

#5 ·
from what i read the baker transmision seems to be the better of the two and i can get the baker gear set for 2 grand ( scary ). i failed to mention the bike has higher than stock TQ & HP numbers (124/115). I think with the DD6 comes with a differant sprocket of some sort and my srockets were already changed for the 3:37 gearing

Ride safe

#8 · (Edited)
Buy the BAKER! You won't be disappointed... I bought one for my 131" build.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

#10 · (Edited)
Why buy a copy or the S&S trans when the cost is almost the same? Just asking?
Bert Baker's transmissions are tried and true original designs made for high TQ & HP. Usually you get what you paid for, pay once and buy the Real Deal a Baker transmission. I bought a SE OD 6 speed and learned from that experience it didn't like LARGE HP & TQ NUMBERS, although it does fine in mild builds or lower HP & TQ builds.. :duh?:

#11 · (Edited)
I have an 03 Fatboy and I also have a lead wrist, I killed the stock tranny and I bought (like a fool) a Ultima 6 speed from a local shop.. I liked having an extra gear but after only a few months of me banging on it; it started to hang in second when downshifting and now it is STUCK and I'm planning on a Baker. I thought I wanted the DD6 but I talked to Baker and this is what I was told...
" If you have already been through (2) transmissions, it is pretty obvious that you are hard on equipment. If you have a very high output engine or ride very aggressively, I would recommend the OD6 for you. The DD6 is a quiet touring style transmission."
Also I was thinking of going with a slight lower 1st and 2nd gear ( 2:82 1st and 2:08 2nd)
Any input from you guys would be welcome.
Here is my specs, be kind I built it myself..

J.E.T Heads
Screaming Eagle HTCC Intake
Keith Black 10.5:1 pistons
Head Quarters 0033-G Cam
S&S gear drive kit
Screaming Eagle adj. Pushrod kit
Power Commander III USB
Arlen Ness Bigsucker w/K&N
Stage II ECM
Bassani Road Rage 2-1
Ultima Six Speed (POS)

Thanks,
FATBOY

#13 ·
I talked to "James" from Baker and you change the compensator sprocket on baggers not on softails but I'm going to take his advise and go with the OD6 with 2.82 1st and 2.08 2nd
I'm also going with the High Torq Bearing Kit (p/n 189-56)

Now to go to other things while I got it apart
Compression release valves and a new Batt :)

#18 ·
"personally I preffer the fat five for big torque street motors who needs the extra shift"

I prefer a 5 speed for a big inch motor too. I really like the spacing for touring. I got my poor man's overdrive through changing the front belt sprocket upward two teeth. 52 MPH at 2000 RPM and 65 at 2500 RPM is all I need. :cool: With a 124" you never miss the loss of gearing advantage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.