V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a picture of my stock shaft extension off my 2008 Road Glide on the top with 66000 miles on it . On the bottom is a Baker shaft extension with 20000 ,
miles on it Also a picture of a Baker compensating sprocket with mating surface starting to disintegrate . Anyone thinking about a Baker compensator beware. These are about 3 years old and the warranty is 2 years. Baker had no idea why this happened and offered no help.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,559 Posts
This is a picture of my stock shaft extension off my 2008 Road Glide on the top with 66000 miles on it . On the bottom is a Baker shaft extension with 20000 ,
miles on it Also a picture of a Baker compensating sprocket with mating surface starting to disintegrate . Anyone thinking about a Baker compensator beware. These are about 3 years old and the warranty is 2 years. Baker had no idea why this happened and offered no help.

Show me the whole load flange from photo one, and the other side of the splines in photo two. If its wearing unevenly, more on one side than the other, you need to put a dial indicator on the sprocket shaft.

I think you're going to find its out by .009 or more. Slipped wheel sets are the number 1 killer of comps. And the Baker comp is much less tolerant of the run out then the SE comp is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Show me the whole load flange from photo one, and the other side of the splines in photo two. If its wearing unevenly, more on one side than the other, you need to put a dial indicator on the sprocket shaft.

I think you're going to find its out by .009 or more. Slipped wheel sets are the number 1 killer of comps. And the Baker comp is much less tolerant of the run out then the SE comp is.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,649 Posts
It appears that the mating splines for the inner ramps aren't beat up like the splines on the shaft extension.If so it appears that the heat treatment wasn't up to par on the one part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's pretty even all around.

Have you called Baker yet? They were replacing the early units without much difficulty, but I hear its gotten harder of late.
Baker offered to sell me a Shaft Extenison for around $80 , With the surface of the sprocket also starting to go , I am thinking no sense putting more money in a crap compensator. The bad part is I have another one in a 09 Electra Glide that I have in Az, So far ok one that one.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I think you should listen to therm and check the runout..

also,, box the comp up,, send it to Baker for an assessment ,,, I was a Baker dealer at my shop,, they are a fair company to deal with...

then use a comp eleminator kit from vulcan,, and have no further issues... some will disagree with this suggestion,,, I use eleminators on every engine I build,,, I'm not having a junk comp wipe out the lower end of one of my engines..

you cant argue with success

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think you should listen to therm and check the runout..

then use a comp eleminator kit from vulcan,, and have no further issues... some will disagree with this suggestion,,, I use eleminators on every engine I build,,, I'm not having a junk comp wipe out the lower end of one of my engines..

you cant argue with success
Are these comp eliminator kits a bolt in affair?? Are you able to use all the other stock components inside the primary? Is there a downside to using these...

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,755 Posts
With all of this said, Baker has released a redesigned unit to replace this first design.

Lots more attention to keeping lube in the assembly, and a thicker cam wear surface.
Now there's an original approach... :sneaky:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts