V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lunch in Baja!

Riding into Mexico has a Bad Rap. Many riders will not do it. No, No, I won’t ride into Mexico they say. I ask why not? A theme I’ve promoted on this Forum is the idea of “respect”. I’ve found that with most people, if you treat them with respect, you will be treated with respect. I’ve ridden into Mexico over a hundred times, all without incident. No hold-ups, no arrests, no muggings, and the only thing I lost was a camera that I left in cab going back to a hotel when I was too drunk to drive. I’ve had many good experiences there. I encourage you to go. Just remember: respect. Behave as though you are a guest, because you are.

Now, on to our lunch ride today. We live in Pasadena, CA (what a surprise with me having the name “pasadenajim”!) We’d been planning a lobster lunch run for sometime and things kept stopping us. Our plans were even delayed this weekend when we discovered yesterday that a friend’s mother had died and the services were Saturday, the day we planned to go. But today was free and we started our adventure.

The bikes were packed and we left at 8:45. For folks in So Cal, it was cold, about 50 degrees. The ride was quick through the City of LA and then the dark clouds came, quickly followed by a cold, thick fog. We bundled up more and kept on ridin’. We took our time, had some coffee and enjoyed the ride. The fog lifted as we rode into San Diego, just in time, too. My fingers were getting stiff. The coffee and a cigar was all I needed. Lisa also enjoyed her coffee.

Because we were making a day trip of this ride, we took Freeway most of the way into Mexico. Of course, we gassed up on the U.S. side. We did not elect Mexican insurance. Some people swear by it, we’ve never purchased it.

The border crossing was surprisingly quick and the ride on the Scenic Toll Road was pleasant. Helmets are optional in Mexico but I kept mine on today because of the fog. Did I say fog? OK, lots of fog. The toll road, Mexico Hwy 1, is near the Ocean much of the way in Baja. The fog was very thick reducing our speeds for about 20 miles until passed Rosarito Beach. (For those who care, the movie “Titanic” was filmed just south of there.)

Our destination was a small lobster village about 15 miles south of Rosarito Beach. As we neared Puerto Nuevo (sp?), the fog broke, and the sun tried to poke through. The temp. reached the low 70’s. The town is an American tourist haunt. However, today, Mexican tourists filled the place. We lucked out and found quick and safe parking spot for the bikes.

We’ve been to this spot so many times that we have 4 or 5 restaurants we frequently. Today, we picked an upstairs, outdoors patio restaurant. The place was empty, except for us. The prices there are “high” by Mexican standards and not many gringos were in town. Small lobsters were $10 (including rice, beans and homemade tortillas), and margaritas were $10/pitcher. The waiters speak enough English so that ordering food is no problem. We enjoyed a wonderful lunch of broiled lobster and margaritas. And yes, lobster makes a great burrito!!!! For those of you who are leery, hot soups and salsas are also safe. The restaurants all use purified water so the margaritas are safe. Don’t drink local water, or have fresh green salads.

After lunch, we walked the cobblestone streets for a while. Haggled at a couple stands. Bought the usual trinkets and tequila. We also purchased 2 bottles of very strong pure vanilla for a friend. We started our trip home shortly after 2 o’clock. As we were packing up, we got a number of comments about “his and hers” bikes, since both our bikes are blue.

There are two tollbooths coming and going on the trip. There is a trick to going through tollbooths in Baja on bikes. You do not ride in the middle of the lane. Why? Because the lane is full of oil and you’ll bust your aaahhh, you get the idea. You also learn to have the correct toll amount in an outside coat pocket and one rider pays for the group. The toll can vary, depending on the peso exchange rate. Today it was $2.20/per toll.

The border crossing coming back to San Diego is famous for two or three hour delays. Not on bikes though. Bikes can lane split and go to the front of the line. We did exactly that. However, we needed to drive around the vendors hawking their wares between the stopped lanes of cars. We have been across the border so many times that the vendors seemed almost natural to us, part of the scenery. Ignore them if you go. Just be careful. The border crossing only took us about 20 minutes and much of that time was caused by the VERY close inspection of a suspicious looking car.

We drove about half way back to LA before we stopped for gas. By the way, buy gas on the American side and not in Mexico. The standards for petroleum are very different there. Had a couple more cigars on the ride home. We rolled in home about a quarter to six, a 9-hour day.

It was a nice lunch and a nice ride today. The bikes ran well, and we put about 360 miles on ‘em. Had a lobster lunch and now have some good agave tequila in the kitchen cabinet.

For those folks in So Cal, I encourage you to give Baja a try. No, don’t ride into Tijuana. That’s not Baja. Ride further south. Enjoy the scenery. In my opinion, the coastline is as beautiful as the Big Sur area near Monterey. You’ll be safe and have a great time. If anyone has questions about riding in Baja, MX, drop me a message. Give Baja a try for lunch.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice Patio

We've been to the upstairs, outdoor places several times. The view can be awesome.

I think the place looks "authentic".

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did I Say Lobster Lunch?

Ok, you're not suppose to notice that the pitcher is margaritas is almost empty when the lobsters arrive!

In Baja, they broil the small Mexican lobster. Served with rice, beans and homemade tortillas, it's quite a treat.

If you go, buy the "small" lobsters. With the side dishes, it's plenty of food.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've always had good times in Baja.

Give it a try. You will, too.

The waiter took this pic, without being asked. That doesn't happen much at home.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shops, shops, shops

Did I need another blanket? No. But it was fun haggling on the price. I'll carry it the saddlebags.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's Always Room for Tequila!

And no trip to Mexico is complete without the obligatory purchase of TEQUILA!

Don't waste your time buying the mediocre tequila you can buy in the grocery store. Buy agave and good stuff at a steeply discounted price.

FYI. Liquor prices are state controlled. There is no haggling over liquor prices.

·
Riding yr rnd in sunny FL
309 Posts
pasadenajim, I enjoyed reading about your Baja adventures. Have you ever ridden down to Cabo San Lucas? Been thinking of a trip down there maybe next year.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't been fortunate enough to make it to Cabo yet. However, I know a guy from a newsgroup who has made the trip multiple times. He claims he knows Sammy Haggar and Sammy has a bar in Cabo where he can drink free. Who knows whether that is true. BUT, this guys has written extensively about his trips. He regularly makes cross country trips. I believe what he says about riding. I road with him to Ensenada last Spring. I returned after a Mardi Gras party and he road on to Cabo. I have a lengthy series of his messages describing his ride, the perils, problems and experiences. If you'd like to read them, I'd glad forward them to you.

Note: I understand there is a stretch of road without gas stations for 150 miles. No problem for a car. Big problem for a H/D. I understand that you will have to buy gas literally out of the back of truck in the stretch.

Let me know if you want me to forward the messages.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Jim/Lisa, sounds like a great trip. As soon a Connie's leg heals let's do it again. Connie and I would love it. Talk to you soon, greg

·
Woo-hoo
2,579 Posts
Jim, it looks like u and Lisa had a great day....the weather looks splendid! ,, better than here..lol thanks for the story, puts u right there with ya.. jb

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks Jim , Sounds like you and Lisa had a great time .

Had Lobster in Boston $19.95 for two and they are big .

See ya'll later . G.G.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Great story, thanks for sharing!

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Jim,

Great post! Really great post! I'm inspired! I haven't been down to Puerto Nuevo in years, and never into Mexico on a bike! I'll have to make the trip soon! (Of course the V-rod's small gas tank might make things a little trickier!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lunch in Baja!

Riding into Mexico has a Bad Rap. Many riders will not do it. No, No, I won’t ride into Mexico they say. I ask why not? A theme I’ve promoted on this Forum is the idea of “respect”. I’ve found that with most people, if you treat them with respect, you will be treated with respect. I’ve ridden into Mexico over a hundred times, all without incident. No hold-ups, no arrests, no muggings, and the only thing I lost was a camera that I left in cab going back to a hotel when I was too drunk to drive. I’ve had many good experiences there. I encourage you to go. Just remember: respect. Behave as though you are a guest, because you are.

Now, on to our lunch ride today. We live in Pasadena, CA (what a surprise with me having the name “pasadenajim”!) We’d been planning a lobster lunch run for sometime and things kept stopping us. Our plans were even delayed this weekend when we discovered yesterday that a friend’s mother had died and the services were Saturday, the day we planned to go. But today was free and we started our adventure.

The bikes were packed and we left at 8:45. For folks in So Cal, it was cold, about 50 degrees. The ride was quick through the City of LA and then the dark clouds came, quickly followed by a cold, thick fog. We bundled up more and kept on ridin’. We took our time, had some coffee and enjoyed the ride. The fog lifted as we rode into San Diego, just in time, too. My fingers were getting stiff. The coffee and a cigar was all I needed. Lisa also enjoyed her coffee.

Because we were making a day trip of this ride, we took Freeway most of the way into Mexico. Of course, we gassed up on the U.S. side. We did not elect Mexican insurance. Some people swear by it, we’ve never purchased it.

The border crossing was surprisingly quick and the ride on the Scenic Toll Road was pleasant. Helmets are optional in Mexico but I kept mine on today because of the fog. Did I say fog? OK, lots of fog. The toll road, Mexico Hwy 1, is near the Ocean much of the way in Baja. The fog was very thick reducing our speeds for about 20 miles until passed Rosarito Beach. (For those who care, the movie “Titanic” was filmed just south of there.)

Our destination was a small lobster village about 15 miles south of Rosarito Beach. As we neared Puerto Nuevo (sp?), the fog broke, and the sun tried to poke through. The temp. reached the low 70’s. The town is an American tourist haunt. However, today, Mexican tourists filled the place. We lucked out and found quick and safe parking spot for the bikes.

We’ve been to this spot so many times that we have 4 or 5 restaurants we frequently. Today, we picked an upstairs, outdoors patio restaurant. The place was empty, except for us. The prices there are “high” by Mexican standards and not many gringos were in town. Small lobsters were $10 (including rice, beans and homemade tortillas), and margaritas were $10/pitcher. The waiters speak enough English so that ordering food is no problem. We enjoyed a wonderful lunch of broiled lobster and margaritas. And yes, lobster makes a great burrito!!!! For those of you who are leery, hot soups and salsas are also safe. The restaurants all use purified water so the margaritas are safe. Don’t drink local water, or have fresh green salads.

After lunch, we walked the cobblestone streets for a while. Haggled at a couple stands. Bought the usual trinkets and tequila. We also purchased 2 bottles of very strong pure vanilla for a friend. We started our trip home shortly after 2 o’clock. As we were packing up, we got a number of comments about “his and hers” bikes, since both our bikes are blue.

There are two tollbooths coming and going on the trip. There is a trick to going through tollbooths in Baja on bikes. You do not ride in the middle of the lane. Why? Because the lane is full of oil and you’ll bust your aaahhh, you get the idea. You also learn to have the correct toll amount in an outside coat pocket and one rider pays for the group. The toll can vary, depending on the peso exchange rate. Today it was $2.20/per toll.

The border crossing coming back to San Diego is famous for two or three hour delays. Not on bikes though. Bikes can lane split and go to the front of the line. We did exactly that. However, we needed to drive around the vendors hawking their wares between the stopped lanes of cars. We have been across the border so many times that the vendors seemed almost natural to us, part of the scenery. Ignore them if you go. Just be careful. The border crossing only took us about 20 minutes and much of that time was caused by the VERY close inspection of a suspicious looking car.

We drove about half way back to LA before we stopped for gas. By the way, buy gas on the American side and not in Mexico. The standards for petroleum are very different there. Had a couple more cigars on the ride home. We rolled in home about a quarter to six, a 9-hour day.

It was a nice lunch and a nice ride today. The bikes ran well, and we put about 360 miles on ‘em. Had a lobster lunch and now have some good agave tequila in the kitchen cabinet.

For those folks in So Cal, I encourage you to give Baja a try. No, don’t ride into Tijuana. That’s not Baja. Ride further south. Enjoy the scenery. In my opinion, the coastline is as beautiful as the Big Sur area near Monterey. You’ll be safe and have a great time. If anyone has questions about riding in Baja, MX, drop me a message. Give Baja a try for lunch.
How about safety for the bikes? Did you leave them out of sight for any time?
What about overnight if you’re in a hotel?
I’m considering a ride down to La Paz

·
not sober all the time
5,987 Posts
How about safety for the bikes? Did you leave them out of sight for any time?
What about overnight if you’re in a hotel?
I’m considering a ride down to La Paz
The last post in this thread is 18 years old. If you look at the profile for pasadenajim you will find, "Last seen Apr 7, 2011". I think that means this is the last time he logged in to this forum. Maybe he will respond but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Welcome to the forum. 🍺

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.