V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMPACT Launches Bait Bikes, Bait ATV, Bait Snowmobiles, & Bait Watercraft
IMPACT has launched what could be a first in the world - an organized bait motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile and personal watercraft program. The theft of street and road bikes, dirt bikes, quads (ATVs), snowmobiles and personal watercraft has gone largely unchecked for decades. With the exception of motorcycles, the actual theft numbers for ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft are not tracked. In most cases, these vehicles are not insured and their thefts leave behind countless stories of misery and loss.

For the past few months, IMPACT investigators have been quietly placing bait versions of these specialized vehicles throughout Greater Vancouver from Hope to Horseshoe Bay with the intent of reducing thefts. Bait recreational vehicles may be left in an underground parking lot, in a driveway, in a backyard under a deck, on a trailer, in a truck, in a garage, or at a campsite.

In the case of the video that was released today, we left an ATV on the back of a truck. It had been parked for only 12 hours in Aldergrove before two well-known car thieves stole both the truck and ATV. Both suspects were arrested after they fled from the scene at speeds up to 143 Km/H. For his involvement, the passenger received a one year sentence and the driver received a two year sentence. Both are still in jail today. This video also shows the relationship between auto theft and the danger it poses to the public. Watch as the suspects drive this 4000 pound truck at 138 Km/h through stop signs in the middle of the night with their lights off. Watch how desperate they are to get away. And watch how little they care about other users of the road.

We can't tell you what kind of motorcycles and other vehicles we use in our bait program, but we will tell you that every one of our special bait vehicles has resulted in the arrest of suspects who tried to steal them. For example, in April there was a rash of streetbike thefts in Richmond. We put a bait bike that was the same make and model the thieves were looking for inside an underground parking lot. After the suspects stole it, we followed our bait bike to a house in Burnaby. We then executed a search warrant on the house and recovered our bait bike, plus three other stolen street bikes - one of them was a Ducati worth $30,000. Two men are currently charged with theft and possession of stolen property.

The bottom line is this: If you are planning on stealing a bike, ATV, snowmobile or personal watercraft, you have no idea if it is bait, or not. Bait cars are everywhere, and now so are bait bikes. One last issue. These stolen vehicles have to be going somewhere. Have you ever been offered to buy a bike where the deal was too good to be true? If you have purchased stolen property then you are just as much part of the problem as the person who stole it.

www.baitcar.com

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Glad you guys are out there. Hopefully it'l help keep my bike safer if I do my part as well.

I was wondering why you didn't have some type of ingnition dis-abling device in the truck. That way when the bad guy was trying to get away you could of shut the engine down. Or have I been watching too many James Bond type movies?

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Yea... but it's pretty cool to catch them at their house and find other stolen bikes. I wished every State or City did this....

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
You are 100 % right. People who buy a stolen machine are the problem.

The world is full of selfish people. Hope the Bait program nails both sides of the dirt bag equation.

I have worked very hard for my toys.......I have a few hollow points in my nine for them.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Hhhuuuhhh???

snowsnyper said:
Glad you guys are out there. Hopefully it'l help keep my bike safer if I do my part as well.

I was wondering why you didn't have some type of ingnition dis-abling device in the truck. That way when the bad guy was trying to get away you could of shut the engine down. Or have I been watching too many James Bond type movies?

Amazingly & apparently, if you got the website & actually read it, they HAVE thought of this! I'm sure they have public safety in mind and have protocol as to when & where they use it. Keep in mind, there must be some time factor involved before enough officers are in pursuit - how long does it take you to get from 0 to 143 kph?

This guy stole a bait car from Burnaby, BC in November 2004. He drove the bait car from Burnaby into Vancouver, and then onto Highway One into Burnaby again. By the time he reached the highway, there were at least eight Burnaby RCMP and Vancouver police cars behind him. The police cars took up all three lanes of the freeway and when the time was right, they requested that an Ecomm operator disable the engine. It was at that time that the suspect finally figured out that he was in a bait car. When the car came to a stop and he heard the barking of a police dog, there was no sense of fight or flight left in him and he yelled, "Please don't let the dog chew me!" The suspect was arrested and held in custody until his trial which was on Christmas eve. He pleaded guilty to possession of stolen property and was given a Christmas present by the judge who sentenced him with time served - 39 days, which in the eyes of the courts counts as double time, or 78 days, since had been held in pre-trial custody. This suspect hopefully learned a valuable lesson: once you have stolen a bait car, there is nowhere to run and hide.

Also, I just found this on the ABOUT page

About IMPACT and The Bait Car Program

IMPACT

This website is operated by the Integrated Municipal Provincal Auto Crime Team (IMPACT) which is based in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada. Our team consists of twenty-two specialized police auto theft investigators from seven police forces in the Greater Vancouver Area. The mandate of IMPACT is to develop innovative strategies to reduce auto crime in British Columbia - this website is just one of those strategies. IMPACT is currently operating four major initatives: the Bait Car program, Automated Licence Plate Recognition, the stolen vehicle Enforcement Team and Stolen Vehicle Identification.

IMPACT operates and manages the Bait Car Program for the Greater Vancouver area and Vancouver Island - which is now the largest Bait Car fleet in North America. The Vancouver Police Department operate their own bait car program for the actual City of Vancouver, but IMPACT provides bait cars for the surrounding 16 municipalities plus Vancouver Island. Stay tuned for a possible expansion to the interior of BC.

A bait car is a vehicle owned by the police and is intended to be stolen. After a bait car is stolen, the location, speed, and direction of travel of the vehicle is monitored by police dispatchers at EComm through GPS tracking. Everything that takes place inside the bait car is caught on audio and video. The dispatcher will coordinate a police response and once officers are in position behind the bait car, the engine will be disabled at the click of a mouse button which allows for the quick arrest of the car thieves.

·
Registered
779 Posts
We had a bait car program for a few years, but had to shut it down due to liability concerns.

If it got shut down in an intersection, and the crook got t-boned by a semi, and DRT, it would have been "our fault".

Welcome to policing in the 21st century...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
822 Posts
ZR1Dan said:
We had a bait car program for a few years, but had to shut it down due to liability concerns.

If it got shut down in an intersection, and the crook got t-boned by a semi, and DRT, it would have been "our fault".

Welcome to policing in the 21st century...:rolleyes:

We don't have a bait program, but if we did it would be the same thing here with my PD in Colorado.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts