V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys so iam going to a 107.already have an andrews 54h cam,se adj push rods,dd fat cat std baffle,zippers air cleaner,andrews 30 tooth pulley

question is what is the difference from big boyz street porting and baisley superstock head work,other than cost and would the extra cost be worth it for someone that is looking for lots of low end torque that carries out as far as possible.also should i be considering throttlebody work and or higher flow inj for either of those heads.just dont want to spend more than i need to or not get the right work done while i have it apart.thanks for any input

·
Here for the education!
788 Posts
The Difference? Quality!
Baisley gives you, good performance, quality valve train components, concentric valve jobs, great valve to seat seal, and valve seat profiles not limited to outdated seat cutters systems just to name a few things. Not that Bigboyz does a bad job, but without the appropriate changes in supplies I cant see spending the money. Just my opinion, although I know it wont sit well with most.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Big Boyz does great work for a mild build but you get what you pay for. I doubt you need throttle body work or exchange nor injectors. Get the compression up for decent low end tq with the 54. Baisley is top notch as well. I would go with Baisley in this case. Or find a reputable headporter, (there are many), and do what they advise. Check out HTT for an extensive list of top notch headporters.

If you want LOTS of low end tq you may want to consider others cams with an earlier close such as the T-Man Torqster 555. Although the 54 is an excellent all around cam. I plan on going with the 54 for my build next year. I have considered many others but I always come back to the 54. The 54 is hard to beat for a "do-it-all" cam.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
If low end torque is your primary focus I would say probably not.

That said with the 107 and those MCR heads you are going to be looking to increase / grow the chambers to stay out of the ping zone with pump gas or you will need to pull the timing back so far all decent throttle response will be killed and it will be sluggish and hot.

If quality head work with perfectly concentric seats, proper guide fit and longer lasting performance, heads that are developed on the flow bench and matched on a flow bench then I would say absolutely yes use Baisley.

What HDRYDR said!

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
ok guys so iam going to a 107.already have an andrews 54h cam,se adj push rods,dd fat cat std baffle,zippers air cleaner,andrews 30 tooth pulley

question is what is the difference from big boyz street porting and baisley superstock head work,other than cost and would the extra cost be worth it for someone that is looking for lots of low end torque that carries out as far as possible.also should i be considering throttlebody work and or higher flow inj for either of those heads.just dont want to spend more than i need to or not get the right work done while i have it apart.thanks for any input
for a 107 Andrews 54 ?
use the money you save using beans heads, to pay for him to retune it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply guys
nw guy not sure what ur were saying probably not about,sorry iam slow.lol.also would u say there would be noticeable performance gains if i were to go w baisley.if if not iam not sure the added expence would be worth it and bean has been great to me so i would prefer to use him if there would not be a real advantage to go w baisley for this kind of build.also i have the factory heads that i could send out but the front head has a damaged valve and guide and they would need comp releases where the mcrs already have them.thanks again

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for a 107 Andrews 54 ?
yup it will be a 107 and i already have the 54 cam so iam gonna stick w that.i do plan on having bean tune it again anyway,just wasnt sure if there was a better suited head porter for this type of build.thanks for the input always appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
for a 107 Andrews 54 ?
I agree, the BigBoyz heads will make good power and no less reliability than a stock head.
Baisley has a good rep and makes good power as well but to be totally honest I feel it comes at too high of a price, many other alternatives out there that I would use first. Example, Baisley 125.00 machining for comp releases, anyone that has done this knows what that comes out to per hr.
Keep the compression in check and you will have a great setup with the reworked BigBoyz heads, the 54s never disappoint.

·
155" R&R TwinCam
3,437 Posts
Have to chuckle on this one concentric valve job.Been grinding valves and seats for a lot of years with different machines,have had my own over 30 yrs.Using valve grinding equipment properly that's exactly the result you get concentricity,valves to seats.Street porting gives you the biggest bang for the buck,since it takes care of the bowl,short side radii,and port matching.Anything more than this requires a flow bench resulting in more cost.Either of the two Co's. listed can handle your porting needs,if your not going to run balls to the wall all the time street porting will certainly take care of business.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
With the 54 cams and those heads on a 103 you are cranking in excess of 200# hot. The ACRs (his heads have those) will get it started. More low end can't be had by milling, but you are on the compression edge right now. With Neway seat cutters (hand grinder), personally I would not have my heads touched. I suggest on the MCR head the factory valve job exceeds what you will end up with in terms of flow and concentrically. You can't cut radius exhaust seats with those tools. I have flow tested the factory valve job VS 3 angle hand seats and did loose flow.

My suggestion
Lower the compression.3 pts by opening the head chamber or a professional valve job sinking the seats (not thicker head gasket!!) and fixing the chamber side, clean up under the seats only. get it to a tuner that works both the AFR and timing tables.
Added low end torque due to added timing and the Delphi not fighting to pull timing out, cooler running motorcycle that gets better mileage. More gross power for the same reason, timing is adjusted to compliment the more appropriate compression ratio.

·
Here for the education!
788 Posts
Have to chuckle on this one concentric valve job.Been grinding valves and seats for a lot of years with different machines,have had my own over 30 yrs.Using valve grinding equipment properly that's exactly the result you get concentricity,valves to seats.Street porting gives you the biggest bang for the buck,since it takes care of the bowl,short side radii,and port matching.Anything more than this requires a flow bench resulting in more cost.Either of the two Co's. listed can handle your porting needs,if your not going to run balls to the wall all the time street porting will certainly take care of business.
Not sure the reason for the chuckle. What equipment are you using. What type of pilots? What are using to measure runout? Most dont check it and wouldnt have a clue if they had concentricity issues. Just because you can see a lap patch dont mean jack with concentricity.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
A few suggestions for shops that are capable in your area or not that far
Dan Thayer
JDs Cycle
Either of these builders can lead you in the right direction and you will end up with a strong ride. They are tuners as well so they see the whole picture and provide a complete solution. Let them decide on the technical aspects and you will not be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Sounds like you have already made up your mind to use Bigboyz and for what you are looking for (a mild build, low cost, and strong low end TQ), it is a good choice.
I think it all depends on what a rider wants out of his build as to who he uses to do his heads.
I had Baisley do a set of top level Heads and to say he was expensive or overpriced is relative to the results he provides. To me he was not expensive as the work that was put into the heads and results that I achieved, can only be approached by a few head guys that I can count on one hand.
You want a basic street port, then there are hundreds of guys who can do that. To me, Baisley is for the rest of the guys who want the best and are willing to pay for it.
You really do get what you pay for and there is no free lunch-

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
agreed.......

If your going to run with the BIG DOGS, go with Dan Baisley or stay on the porch lickin your stuff.

Merry Christmas.
Haul ASS!
Ride for your LIFE!

Sounds like you have already made up your mind to use Bigboyz and for what you are looking for (a mild build, low cost, and strong low end TQ), it is a good choice.
I think it all depends on what a rider wants out of his build as to who he uses to do his heads.
I had Baisley do a set of top level Heads and to say he was expensive or overpriced is relative to the results he provides. To me he was not expensive as the work that was put into the heads and results that I achieved, can only be approached by a few head guys that I can count on one hand.
You want a basic street port, then there are hundreds of guys who can do that. To me, Baisley is for the rest of the guys who want the best and are willing to pay for it.
You really do get what you pay for and there is no free lunch-

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well guys i think i have made up my mind and iam gonna send my stock 96 heads and cyl to bean and have him repair the front head and do his street port,comp releases and cc the heads to set up the comp for the cp 107 flat top pistons.up in the air about sending my stock throttle body to hpi to have them bore it to 54.also wondering if i should get the fan assisted jagg oil cooler when they release it.forgot to talk to bean about that.thanks for your input guys,hope this turns out to be a stong running reliable set up so i can just ride it and stay out of the motor for atleast a few yrs or when ever i decide to go bigger.

also tore down my 103 tonight,everything seems to look good,but i have a question about the cyl.the cross hatch looks good but the color of the metal has what i will call a light and dark vertical stripe look to it.(sorry not sure how else to descibe it) if someone knows what iam talking about is that a normal thing for se 103 cyl.

if the cyl coloring is normal what would u guys say the 103 cyl,piston and mcr heads would be worth.thanks again guys

·
155" R&R TwinCam
3,437 Posts
Not sure the reason for the chuckle. What equipment are you using. What type of pilots? What are using to measure runout? Most dont check it and wouldnt have a clue if they had concentricity issues. Just because you can see a lap patch dont mean jack with concentricity.
Nothing meant by this only that assumed most valve grinder operators took this very issue serious.Hard to imagine how anyone would do work on someones heads and not check their work.My equipment (old and in mint condition) is from Sioux.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
well guys i think i have made up my mind and iam gonna send my stock 96 heads and cyl to bean and have him repair the front head and do his street port,comp releases and cc the heads to set up the comp for the cp 107 flat top pistons.up in the air about sending my stock throttle body to hpi to have them bore it to 54.also wondering if i should get the fan assisted jagg oil cooler when they release it.forgot to talk to bean about that.thanks for your input guys,hope this turns out to be a stong running reliable set up so i can just ride it and stay out of the motor for atleast a few yrs or when ever i decide to go bigger.

also tore down my 103 tonight,everything seems to look good,but i have a question about the cyl.the cross hatch looks good but the color of the metal has what i will call a light and dark vertical stripe look to it.(sorry not sure how else to descibe it) if someone knows what iam talking about is that a normal thing for se 103 cyl.

if the cyl coloring is normal what would u guys say the 103 cyl,piston and mcr heads would be worth.thanks again guys
Don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts

sounds like wear on the thrust area? pics?

·
Super Moderator
3,232 Posts

The vertical discolored striping seems to be a common phenomenon.springer- once posted pics.and his thoughts about them somewhere but I can't find the info.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
The vertical discolored striping is a normal phenomenon.springer- once posted pics.and his thoughts about them somewhere but I can't find the info.
keep looking I want to see that thread. too lazy to look myself:)
love the new avatar...:beer:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts