V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got th new issue of Hot Bike Baggers in the maill today and they had an article about throttle by wire and if it is safe on a motorcylce. They mentioned this forum for people listing issuesand concerns about throttle by wire issues and also asked that people share with them their thoughts and experiences with this. I will be very glad to share my experience of losing all throttle at 30 mile an hour in town on my 09 StreetGlide for no apparent reason with the dealership only able to tell me that the "USUAL!!!!!!!!!!" things that cause this issue all looked fine. Ask a Harley saleperson about this issue when buying a motorcycle and you will hear some funny reponses. They first like to blame aftermarket tuners and other things for this problem when trying to sell a bike then after buying they will be a bit more honest. Everyone who has had this issue should drop Baggers mag a note because they are obviously reading what we post on here!

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
Throttle by wire, no thanks! I want visible cables that I can fix it when they screw up.

One of the things that's great about Harley Davidson is the mid 20th century technology and the simplicity of it. I will confess that I will do EFI, but all that other high tech stuff, ABS, cruise control, TBW, Stereo systems, etc., you can keep!

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
yah cables may be old school, but I like to be able to fix chit that may break on the road.
throttle by wire seems more like a cost savings than a good feature

·
Registered
568 Posts
Replacing $30 in cables with hundreds of dollars in electronics doesn't seem to be anything but going with the "gee whiz" trends. It does seem to make cruise control very simple from not having to rig a special cable connection standpoint. Especially with the tank mounted speedo, I wouldn't want to be without cruise control, it minimizes the need to look WAAY down to check speed.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
1.5+ million miles in semi's with electronic throttles with no problems. 50k miles in my car with electronic throttle and no problems. No problems yet on my 2010 HD.

It's not new technology, semi's have had it available since the late '80s, the first being the Detroit Diesel Series 60.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Some still swear by Point type Ignition's also.
Oh well to each there own, I hope you all like what you ride its a great feeling. :beer: :beatdh:

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I have about 35000 miles on two diff TBW bikes, with no issues.

Another one of the "lucky" ones I guess!

·
Registered
25 Posts
1 2010 H-D UltraClassic with 16K on it, no problems with TBW. 4 GM cars and 1 Subaru with a combine 400K, no problems with TBW. Can problems occur with TBW, sure. Can problems happen with cables, sure. In fact on my Sturgis trip this year my riding buddy broke a throttle cable. We lost a whole day of riding trying to find the cable which took several phone calls then a long ride to get it and then another couple to get all the crap out of the way to replace the cable.

I love electronic gizmo's, they just keep going and going.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
08 and later Touring Models have throttle by wire. Don't get me wrong I love my bike but I just didn't like when I took the bike in and three H.D. employees both asked the same question "Were you riding in the rain?" When this happen, it was a beautiful day and I was gling a steady speed of thirty mile an hours and the bike just went to idle. After letting the bike sit after pulling over with the ignition off I was getting my tools out to pull the cables on the battery just to try something to get throttle back then I decided to try it again and it fired up and I had throttle. Since I work in the food industry (electrical, electrical controls and programming) where I deal with water and corrosion in electrical components on a weekly basis the first thing I did was check for corrosion,loose connections and wiring in hwhich all was good. The dealership I took it to said the same and also documented the issue even thou the warranty had ran out (thought that was pretty cool). Still love the bike but I will always have that little hiccup in the back of my mind even thou I know throttle cables break too. I guess personally knowing what a little bit of water or corrosion can do to a 4-20ma or 0-5V signal makes me paranoid now but I still love my StreetGlide!

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
I think I will keep my 2007.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven't had the type of problem with my 2010 Limited, but have felt just the slightest surge as I cruise with constant throttle. The bike just barely gains and loses speed as you hold a constant throttle. You can barely detect it, and there is no other throttle issue other than a slight hesitation at "tip-in" when you first partially open the throttle. I attribute that to the TBW, but can't prove it.

·
Swamprat Rider
757 Posts
Had no problems with TBW .. 80,000 Miles with the 08 EGS and 09 Ultra combined, but do think about it sometimes ..

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I will confess that I will do EFI, but all that other high tech stuff, ABS, cruise control, TBW, Stereo systems, etc., you can keep!
Ya thad damn Elvis the kids are listening to, is just noise.:hystria:

·
Registered
568 Posts
I haven't had the type of problem with my 2010 Limited, but have felt just the slightest surge as I cruise with constant throttle. The bike just barely gains and loses speed as you hold a constant throttle. You can barely detect it, and there is no other throttle issue other than a slight hesitation at "tip-in" when you first partially open the throttle. I attribute that to the TBW, but can't prove it.
It is often windy in Texas and that might contribute to what you are feeling.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts