V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the bushing set I ordered from Ronnie's H-D. They're all genuine Harley parts supposed to be for the 05 Road King. However on my Harley 05 FLHTC swingarm they wouldn't press in. All these bushings are too small. My Harley mechanic wasn't familiar with them either. All his tech was with the older clevebloc bushings. What are we missing here?
Tableware Table Wood Dishware Drinkware

·
Super Moderator
21,528 Posts
At some point the MoCo switched to a larger bearing, not sure just when.

But it was cleave blocks then original small bearing, then newer large bearing.

Any chance that your swing arm got upgraded to a newer one some time in the past?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At some point the MoCo switched to a larger bearing, not sure just when.

But it was cleave blocks then original small bearing, then newer large bearing.

Any chance that your swing arm got upgraded to a newer one some time in the past?
No. My swingarm on my FXR was original equipment. The inner diameters on my 87 FXR were the same as on the 05 FLHTC. There is a possibility that I ordered the wrong year bushing from Ronnie's.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked with Ronnie's H-D. I was able to access my invoice from last year. I recorded the part numbers [9208-Bearing, 48487-02 Spacer, outer, and 48489, Spacer, inner] and all correspond with the swingarm parts for a Harley 05 Electra Glide Standard FLHTC.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Wait a minute, what is too small to press into where? As I recall, the spherical bearings get pressed into the swingarm, NOT the bushings.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bearings I got [H-D PN 9208] had an OD too small to press into the 05 FLHTC swingarm.

·
Super Moderator
21,528 Posts
Measure the old ones and compare it to the new ones. Then clean an old one up and see if there is a number on the edge.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never had any old bearings. I bought the 05 FLHTC swingarm off of Ebay and it was stripped. None of the H-D spacers have any numbers. The spherical bearings have INA F-365175.01 H-D 9208 Germany U014. I checked on the Ronnie's H-D list and the part numbers for the bearings and bushings are all the same from '02 to '20 for all baggers.

·
Registered
553 Posts
And you are certain the swingarm you have is from an '02-'07 bagger?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turboprop asked: "And you are certain the swingarm you have is from an '02-'07 bagger? "
Pretty much. I bought it off of Ebay and it was listed as an '05 FLHTC [H-D Electra Glide Standard] and it was stripped without the bushings, bearing or pivot pin. And all my '05 bagger parts have bolted right on except for the rear pulley and the pivot pin. I'm running a 1.5" wide pulley and a .625" pivot pin. Have you rebuilt any of these '02 and up bagger rear ends?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Turboprop asked: "And you are certain the swingarm you have is from an '02-'07 bagger? "
Pretty much. I bought it off of Ebay and it was listed as an '05 FLHTC [H-D Electra Glide Standard] and it was stripped without the bushings, bearing or pivot pin. And all my '05 bagger parts have bolted right on except for the rear pulley and the pivot pin. I'm running a 1.5" wide pulley and a .625" pivot pin. Have you rebuilt any of these '02 and up bagger rear ends?
Only a dozen or so.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Only a dozen or so.

Search this forum, you should be able to find pics of three of my FXRs with this swingarm. I refer to them as red, black and blue. When you find them it will be obvious.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So my buddy Shotgun, the owner of Junction City Cycles, has a Jim's special tool which was to be used when installing these bearings shown in Post #1. According to the instructions the tool made sure the bearings and spacer were set to the right depth because they didn't get seated at equal depth on the left and right sides of the swingarm. So Turboprop stated in Post #5; "the spherical bearings get pressed into the swingarm, NOT the bushings." My point here is that my parts won't press into the swingarm because they're undersized.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts