V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having a real tough time picking out mufflers for my RG. I'm looking at Bassani mufflers(slash cut)or S&S SPO. Anyone have any experience with these? I don't want loud just a nice deep tone and some performance gain.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
Khromewerks

HR1961 said:
Having a real tough time picking out mufflers for my RG. I'm looking at Bassani mufflers(slash cut)or S&S SPO. Anyone have any experience with these? I don't want loud just a nice deep tone and some performance gain.
Tthey make 3 different models

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do these discolor easily? I wouldn't want to buy heat shields. Plan on using a DFO box and SE air cleaner.

·
Lookin' for '09 FLHRC
84 Posts
...been there!

Screamin Eagle #65115-98B
They are in the SE race catalog

I searched every forum and web site I could.
These are deep and mellow.
Sounds the way a Harley should.
Mellow at 65mph. Bark and Bite when you twist it.
Good selection of end caps to choose from.

I know sound is very subjective.

I've had - stock RK mufflers.
- 2 versions of punched out stock RK's
- Sampson Rolled Ovals

98B's are sweet!

By the way.
'04 Road King Classic
Stage 1 map and Air Cleaner
Rev Tech DFO (soon to be Power Commander)

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
I'm with you brother!
Sometime I feel like Goldielocks with this whole exhaust thing.

I've had:

Touring Mufflers on OEM pipes - Too OEM for me
Rinehart True Duals - Too poorly constructed for me
Hooker True Duals - Too loud for me

and now....

FullSac Mufflers on the Hooker pipes. - Just right, so far....

LOL

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Kerkers and wild pigs sound pretty darn good. Not to loud, but not to quiet either.

Samson rolled thunder ovals are good to...

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Samson ovals have a good amount of torque down low where you want it but they are kind of loud. The khrome werks also have a good amount of torque although I have never heard them. Hot Rod bikes did an exhaust article on mufflers and the khrome werks were about in the middle of the pack as far as noise.
Exhaust is by far the hardest choice to make. I went through this with all my bikes. I dig and dig till I find a good performer with good sound and quality,with looks to match.
I like the looks of the bassani HO slash cut but can't find any specs or articles on them.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Paniolo said:
I'm with you brother!
Sometime I feel like Goldielocks with this whole exhaust thing.

I've had:

Touring Mufflers on OEM pipes - Too OEM for me
Rinehart True Duals - Too poorly constructed for me
Hooker True Duals - Too loud for me

and now....

FullSac Mufflers on the Hooker pipes. - Just right, so far....

LOL
I have run the Samson Rolled Thunders on a stock headpipe, the V&H propipe and now have the Fullsac mufflers on the stock headpipe.

I also like the sound of the fullsac mufflers, just right for me.

But Paniolo, question. the hooker pipes are true duals? You think they make some more power than the stock head pipe? or is just to get rid of the heat? also are they any better or different than the V&H true dual headpipes? Later, RG.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Road Glider said:
I have run the Samson Rolled Thunders on a stock headpipe, the V&H propipe and now have the Fullsac mufflers on the stock headpipe.

I also like the sound of the fullsac mufflers, just right for me.

But Paniolo, question. the hooker pipes are true duals? You think they make some more power than the stock head pipe? or is just to get rid of the heat? also are they any better or different than the V&H true dual headpipes? Later, RG.
I got the Hooker Headers as part of the whole Hooker True Dual exhaust set up. When the TQ/HP adjustment rings on the Hooker mufflers broke, I went to the FullSacs. I was also a good excuse to cut back on some noise too.

While the True Duals did take away heat from the right side, it put a lot more heat on the left side! So much so that I ended up wrapping the left pipe in header wrap to keep the heat down. When I went to the FullSac, I took off the wrap and had the pipes Jet-Coated, and that seems to be making a difference.

Although I have not tried the V&H Tue Duals, I would say that they are equal to the V&H True in fittmant and quality. If I were to replace them, I would go with the Bub Cross-Dressers, only because those come with an O2 sensor bung, and I have one of those FI units on my bike too.

The Hooker pipes are stepped, but I can't say if it made a big difference in performance to the bike. I've done so many other things to the bike, and have had so many other exhaust systems, to really hard to say. I do like the way they look and sound.

I think I'll stick with this combo for a while.

·
Registered
107 Posts
HR1961 said:
HR1961 said:
Do these discolor easily? I wouldn't want to buy heat shields. Plan on using a DFO box and SE air cleaner.
The S&S SPO are stainless steel. Just put a little elbow grease on them and they will shine like new!

I am running the SPO's they are nice. Got them because they are not overly load and obnoxious and can hear the radio at all speeds. They sound like a muscle car! They are bit large but they accent the Hard saddlebags perfectly.

The SPO are slip-ons so you either you can maintain your stock header system or buy true duals (Bubs, Vance and Hines, Samson, Cycle Shack).

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I am running the Bassani strait cut on V&H true duals. I had the 2 1/2" baffle at first and they were LOUD swapped out the baffles for the 2" and they sound great. Very little discoloration only at the transition of the slip-on at the header, Turned a tad bit gold. Another thing I noticed about these is that the sound is placed back away from you because they are longer then any other slip-on. My wife says she can hear me coming home for about 5 minutes before I get there. :cheers:

·
Registered
38 Posts
HR1961 said:
Just finished up 9 (long) days in Baja, Mexico with the S&S SPO's on my '05 FLHTCI.
Fantastic product! Performs exactly as claimed by S&S. Worked very well with my 95" HTCC build. The sound is deep and authoritative under hard acceleration, yet at steady-state cruise, they are whisper quiet.

Previously had SE Pro slip-ons. For me and my passenger, they were mostly too loud for long hours on the road. The sound output of the SPO's is smack in the middle between stock and the SE Pro's, and much more mellow.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
styd24 said:
The S&S SPO are stainless steel. Just put a little elbow grease on them and they will shine like new!

I am running the SPO's they are nice. Got them because they are not overly load and obnoxious and can hear the radio at all speeds. They sound like a muscle car! They are bit large but they accent the Hard saddlebags perfectly.

The SPO are slip-ons so you either you can maintain your stock header system or buy true duals (Bubs, Vance and Hines, Samson, Cycle Shack).
Do you have any idea of the torque at say 3000 rpm on a stock 88 with air cleaner and DFO?

·
Registered
38 Posts
HR1961 said:
Do you have any idea of the torque at say 3000 rpm on a stock 88 with air cleaner and DFO?
No. But on the S&S website, they post a dyno sheet with SPO's on a mostly stock motor. There are slight gains in HP & TQ where it counts.

The SPO's work very well to complement the mid to upper range powerband of the HTCC build I'm running. Power production aside, the bigger issue for me was excessive noise. I just don't want it on a touring bike.

BTW...I'm running the stock header pipes with my SPO's. I did have V&H true duals with SE Pro's at one time, but sold the true duals as they appeared to lower bottom-end TQ.

There are so many BS claims about exhaust systems for sound, power, etc.
The SPO's do what they are advertised to do.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
HR1961 said:
NOT ENOUGH!!
Do the right thing and get a V&H ProPipe, RB-LSR or D&D Fatcat now! That way when you do the performance upgrade on your motor(I can tell you're gonna want it sooner than later) your pipes won't be holding you back.

All of those mentioned look and sound awesome, never heard anyone with any of those 3 complain.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
HR1961 said:

I don't know about 3KRPMs but max HP/TQ is around 60/70.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
adlerx said:
NOT ENOUGH!!
Do the right thing and get a V&H ProPipe, RB-LSR or D&D Fatcat now! That way when you do the performance upgrade on your motor(I can tell you're gonna want it sooner than later) your pipes won't be holding you back.

All of those mentioned look and sound awesome, never heard anyone with any of those 3 complain.
I've built a 01 low rider before with the pro-pipe HS and would buy it again but it just doesn't look right on a bagger. What I want is a muffler on the quieter side with an improvement in torque. So far the Hooker and Khromewerks are the torque winners. I've talked to a good tuner at a dealership and they really like the hookers but they are on the loud side.I haven't heard the Khromewerks mufflers yet.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Rush out and get Rush Mufflers, they have a great rumble, 2 1/2 " baffles.:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts