V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm impreessed with the R&R 525 cam. I wonder how it would run in my bagger. 3:15 gear. I was thinking 98, 10:1, ported heads. I have a fatcat exhaust. Would this duration give me a soggy bottom end with the weight of a bagger. or should I stick to 236 duration? thx Bob

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
just did a 525 in an ultra. it rips right off idle, pulls hard to midrange, then falls on its face on the upper end. kinda what you would expect , great cams for bagger. oh yeah, that was with shitty pipes too.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Cam Choice

The 525 is a hopped-up version of an Andrews 37. It should work fine for you, but as claydbal mentioned, it will nose over on the other side.
Our choice, at our shop, would be a Bob Wood 6. With a build you are describing, we just showed 100.1 hp and 116.5 ft/lbs, pulling thru a stock cv carb, and a Pro Pipe!!! Hits like a jackhammer down low and never lets go of it until you back off or hit the rev limiter. Gas mileage way up, heat down. Client is happy,happy,happy.
Scott

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Well the 98 kit that was done you can see the dyno sheet there is no nosing over on it. The pipe that Claybal is using may be the issue with that kit nosing over. With the pipe you have that cam would pull hard through out the rpm range. And making 100 tq at under 2500 on only 9.8 compression is not a bad thing in a heavy bike. Myself would take a fat tq curve over upper power in a bagger any day. If Dennis gets me the 107 bike dynoed we can see a larger tq curve. No pressure Dennis ha ha Hey boss did you install the larger injectors in that kit??

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
claydbal said:
just did a 525 in an ultra. it rips right off idle, pulls hard to midrange, then falls on its face on the upper end. kinda what you would expect , great cams for bagger. oh yeah, that was with shitty pipes too.
Yes it sounds like your pipe is restrictive, I remember a post the other day where Steve at GMR used that cam on a 98" with stage 2-1/2 and hit 110- 111 torque and hp and it was still climbing when it hit the rev limiter. We have also had the same experience. Great cam (without the noise).

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
KingofCubes said:
(without the noise).

@gree: to the extra noise from the Woods Cams.......

{salute( :spank: {salute(

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
Well the 98 kit that was done you can see the dyno sheet there is no nosing over on it. The pipe that Claybal is using may be the issue with that kit nosing over. With the pipe you have that cam would pull hard through out the rpm range. And making 100 tq at under 2500 on only 9.8 compression is not a bad thing in a heavy bike. Myself would take a fat tq curve over upper power in a bagger any day. If Dennis gets me the 107 bike dynoed we can see a larger tq curve. No pressure Dennis ha ha
yep to the shitty pipe. V&H bagger duals.

105 tq at 2000 rpm, peak tq 124 at i think 4000 rpm, man, the bike revved so quick you could smell the tire on the dyno. had to be careful how you rolled the throttle. 60 mph-100 is quite impressive for a ultra! then it was over. not making any HP, just fell on its face. tried to sell different pipes during customer interview, but the duals were a gift, so i just had to work around them.

steve, my scanner is screwwed, so cant post sheet.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
claydbal said:
yep to the shitty pipe. V&H bagger duals.

105 tq at 2000 rpm, peak tq 124 at i think 4000 rpm, man, the bike revved so quick you could smell the tire on the dyno. had to be careful how you rolled the throttle. 60 mph-100 is quite impressive for a ultra! then it was over. not making any HP, just fell on its face. tried to sell different pipes during customer interview, but the duals were a gift, so i just had to work around them.

steve, my scanner is screwwed, so cant post sheet.
On a bagger with 105tq at 2K and 124tq at 4K who needs hp? LOL.
60 to 100 is where it is at on these beasts.

·
Fastest Chkn N the South!
897 Posts
As far as the 525 cam rolling over up top, mine was still making 110 HP at 6100 RPM. That's with a CV carb and 2-2 pipes.

Not knocking the Woods 6 at all (a proven performer for sure) but I'd take the 525 over it. I think the 525 makes the same or better power EVERYWHERE without the infamous noise. JMO, but it's a better mouse trap....and eventually there will be yet another better mouse trap.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
To be direct on your question it is a bolt in cam. It will work with stock springs and stock rocker arms. Now with any performance upgrade it would be best if you installed a better set of valve springs with increase seat pressure as the HD versions vary greatly. As for the lift on stock rockers there are many opinion on that as the design of the ramp on the cam plays into use of roller rockers. But 550 lift is a rule of thumb that many use. Some cams are gentle enough that you can exceed that figure and others are radical enough that you need roller rockers at a lower lift point. The idea of a rocker is to keep the rocker arm centered on the valve tip,...to prevent the long rubbing friction area that a stock rocker gives you vs the roller tip that does not scrub the valve tip but rolls back and forth.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
To be direct on your question it is a bolt in cam. It will work with stock springs and stock rocker arms. Now with any performance upgrade it would be best if you installed a better set of valve springs with increase seat pressure as the HD versions vary greatly. As for the lift on stock rockers there are many opinion on that as the design of the ramp on the cam plays into use of roller rockers. But 550 lift is a rule of thumb that many use. Some cams are gentle enough that you can exceed that figure and others are radical enough that you need roller rockers at a lower lift point. The idea of a rocker is to keep the rocker arm centered on the valve tip,...to prevent the long rubbing friction area that a stock rocker gives you vs the roller tip that does not scrub the valve tip but rolls back and forth.
Would they work with heads you set up for me? or would I need diff. valve springs? the heads were 06 heads set up for 26's. You cc'd to 83.2.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
This is Jeff correct? Sorry I cannot keep the screen names straight. But that was a 95 inch kit if I recall set at 9.5 , ... it would but I would like to see a tad more compression in that build like 9.8. If you want ship the heads back i will skim them down some for free and give you the add compression to correctly support that cam.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
I would like to see a tad more compression in that build like 9.8. If you want ship the heads back i will skim them down some for free and give you the add compression to correctly support that cam.

Da*n Steve, I like that kind of service. What more could one ask for than for FREE

Builders take note it's not the Almighty Dollar Here........

·
Laughing Poseur
5,253 Posts
1711tab said:
Da*n Steve, I like that kind of service. What more could one ask for than for FREE

Builders take note it's not the Almighty Dollar Here........

OK I've got to ask and I know we've had issues in the past but what EXACTLY is your relationship with Steve @GMR???? I mean c'mon EVERY time Steve posts something your there right behind him doing the gladhand about his parts or his service. On the other hand EVERY chance you get your beating on anything WOODS related (noise and such) I mean what's the deal here??? Are ya being paid by Steve to promote his stuff or are ya just a groupie or something?? Now I'm NOT trying to start **** here and all is said with no dis-respect at all but I mean what's up?? Keep in mind here before I started doing business with Scott @Hillside my first build was with parts from Steve @GMR and I was quite happy with what he did for me...so as far as I'm concerned there's absolutely no animosity between GMR and myself.

·
wildbillnc
117 Posts
1711 tab have you ever had a Wood TW6G cam or any other Wood cam if so tell the forum which ones you have had that were noisy I have the TW6G and it is quite in my bike and I personaly chalenge any builder on this or any other forum to build an engine with another cam that will out perform the Wood TW6G with 9.5to1 throrgh 10.5to1 compresion!!!!!!!:whistle: :whistle:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts