V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I know this has prolly been answered like 5 milion times already, but I couldn't find the answer so here goes anyway...

I have a bone stock '03 FLSTFi, and I was wondering. I know if I get a new exhaust i need to have the computer remapped, but what if I just take the baffles out of the exhaust? (I think i remember someone saying it was possible). Will I have any problems doing this?

TIA

--John

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Ya can't take the baffels out of the stock pipes. Besides, the performance would suck and the bike would sound like hell.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eh, ok. in that case, nevermind, maybe I was just being an idiot :) happens ever so often

Thanks JimmyK

·
Registered
494 Posts
The baffles can be drilled out from the rear or punch through from the front (see tech article at directparts.com). Rejetting/remapping would probably be a good idea for optimal performance, but not sure if it would be critical if you didn't replace the air filter with a high-flow (best ask a TC expert). Not sure how the new TC sounds w/ modified stockers, but I bought a new Shovel back in '83 and punch out the baffles - I got more complements on the sound of that bike than any HD/pipe combo that I've owned - nobody could believe they were stock pipes. I've been around for a while and I believe people's tastes have change with respect to what they think sounds good - now-a-days, a lot more seem to like the the sharp/rappy sound of something similar to a straight pipe. I still like the low, throaty, mellow tone (reasonably load is OK - but not obnoxious). I have a '03 TC on order.............(pipes???????).........

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have '02 FXSTI, SE StageI kit (breather kit and remapping), and drilled out my baffles, sounds great. This setup saw an increase of 8hp.

It is personal preference but I do believe it sounds great, and I have two buddies that have the same mods on '02 DEUCES. They also think the sound
is great and its very cost effective.

·
Registered
131 Posts
A friend of mine has a Low Rider with drilled out stock pipes with stock breather and sounds better than my V&H slip on's and I have the SE breather.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I'm planning on drilling out my stock pipes and the rejetting will be done during the 1000 mile oil change. I will install the aircleaner kit myself when it comes in. Do these mods effect the warranty?:Dennis

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I sweat my nuts off yesterday trying in vain to get my pipes off. Was going to punch a hole in the baffles per the instructions found at www.directparts.com Might try it while they are still on or when I have more time. (Snuck out during working hours!):Dennis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts