V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Self Appointed!
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought the replacement baffles for my V&H Straightshots. There were no baffles installed when I recently purchased the bike. I wanted a little quieter ride, so I installed the baffles.

My questions: When installing the baffles, I noticed that there were 2 holes in each pipe. One is located approx. 2.5" from the end of the pipes and the other is 3.5" in. Why are there 2 holes? Can the performance (and sound?) be adjusted based on where you locate the baffles? I installed them in the first location (2.5"). Trying to decide if I need to see what happens if I move them back.

I actually emailed V&H's technical department about a week ago and have yet to get a response (except the auto-response that they received my email!)!!! I called them also and the lady I talked to shouldn't have been answering technical questions!!! So I thought I would ask for help here.

Thanks!

·
Self Appointed!
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know someone out there knows....

·
Self Appointed!
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Nt Train! I actually went out this morning and moved the baffles back. It may be my imagination, but the sound is a little better! Maybe a little throatier (word?). Loud...but not obnoxious!

Thanks again for the reply!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Yep, someone beat me to it. I used to have the Straightshots on my Lowrider and the back holes are for the end caps you can purchase. Save your money and do not buy the endcaps. If you can move the baffles back and have dyno proof it makes a difference in the dyno, then go for it.

·
Self Appointed!
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fxdl raw said:
If you can move the baffles back and have dyno proof it makes a difference in the dyno, then go for it.
My next step is to have it dyno tuned. Thanks for the feedback!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
What size?

Sheriff,

I want to install baffles on my 00 FXDL, I have V&H Striaght Shots as well. I am brand new owner...2 weeks now...and I'm not sure white length baffle I need to put in. I am looking for a nice low rumble.

SAFXDL

·
Self Appointed!
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SAFXDL said:
I want to install baffles on my 00 FXDL, I have V&H Striaght Shots as well. I am brand new owner...2 weeks now...and I'm not sure white length baffle I need to put in. I am looking for a nice low rumble.
SAFXDL,
I am pleased with the stock replacement baffles for the Straightshots. They were very easy to install. The sound is MUCH IMPROVED over the Straightshots without baffles! The V&H part number is 21269.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help w/ anything.:cheers:

·
Registered
11 Posts
FYI
I had good results with those pipes by just adding end caps to the pipes that have no baffles, The sound is good and the seat of the pants dyno felt a Diff.

If you have V&H pipes with both the baffles and the end caps TRY removing the baffles and keeping the end caps The sound was very close to the same pipes with Thundermonsters and did very little to the A/F ratio on an EFI bike.

A cheap test to see if you will like the sound of Thundermonsters.
The allen bolts are the same size for the baffles and the caps.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
junkking said:
FYI
I had good results with those pipes by just adding end caps to the pipes that have no baffles, The sound is good and the seat of the pants dyno felt a Diff.

If you have V&H pipes with both the baffles and the end caps TRY removing the baffles and keeping the end caps The sound was very close to the same pipes with Thundermonsters and did very little to the A/F ratio on an EFI bike.

A cheap test to see if you will like the sound of Thundermonsters.
The allen bolts are the same size for the baffles and the caps.
Thanks!! Appreciate the help!!!

SAFXDL

·
Self Appointed!
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
junkking said:
I had good results with those pipes by just adding end caps to the pipes that have no baffles, The sound is good.....
junkking: What I didn't like about my Straightshots without baffles, was that they were REAL BAD to have a terrible popping and "backfiring" on deceleration and when upshifting. The baffles completely eliminated this without sacrificing the "good" loud note of the V&H pipes. Do the end caps alone eliminate the popping/backfiring? Did you buy the billet tips or one of the chrome steel tip options?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The tips were the billet ones, and I had no pop or backfire with just them.
My bike backfires/pops when I coast with the throttle closed every now and then after I Xlr8. If you take your baffles and cut off up to the first set of holes that will gradually increase the sound and only after you get past the third row does it really effect the AFR but only cut one row at a time.
I have an EFI bike 95 CI hi comp HD cast pistons 211 cams ect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts