V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2001 flhr with 16000 miles on the clock. The stator went bad last week. Cost five hundred Canadian to have it fixed. Stealer said they had three others go bad in the last month. Has anyone else had to replace a stator on a TC88 touring bike? Also I always run the passing lamps while riding from start up, would this cause the electrical system to be over burdened? Thx in advance...J.D.

·
old timer
516 Posts
There are a ton of folks with '00 and '01 TC's that have had stators go bad. I have heard that the factory has re-imbursed some for it if you write them and scream about product failure...I think there was a service bulletin

Hippo can tell you more.

manny

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yup, there have been any number of failures, but predominantly on the 45A bikes.

There was a bulletin a while back where they informed the dealers that there was a new improved part available, problem is they told them to use up existing stock of the old parts on the 38A bikes.

If you paid for it and got the old part you are SOL.

If you had the info before paying the dealer and called HD customer service they would likely helped you, outside chance they still may. I know that they picked up the tab for a bunch of people, for some in more then one occasion. They are well aware that there was a problem.

There is no question the dealer had the data on the situation, looks like he chose not to give you any information or do you any favours.

Running the passing lamps has no effect on the stator and in most cases is good for the regulator if the bike is ridden a little on the hard side.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hippo:

Thx for the reply, I m not sure what you mean when you say 38A and 45A bikes? How do I determine what I have.....sorry for the dumb ???

J.D.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
01 FLHR has the 38A system. The stators are the same, the 45A bikes just have a heavier duty rotor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts