V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and me went to the Oakland, CA for Thanksgiving this year. I told everybody I was renting a Road King for the day after to tour the Golden Gate Bridge and Muir Woods area. So my brother in-law and his two uncles called the same dealer to rent bikes also. We got to Golden Gate HD right after they open Friday ready to ride off the turkey dinner from the day before.
We decided that morning to just keep the bike until closing that day because a rain storm was coming in the next day which gave us 8 hours to ride if we got the bike as soon as they opened the shop. It took them almost an hour to process the paper work to rent us the 4 Road Kings.
During this process I noticed the bike were configured
(2) RKs had tour packs with backrests,
(1) RK had sissy bar with backrest, and
(1) was a stock RK no sissy bar or backrest.
I spoke up and ask which bike was going to which person and the dealer rep said that they hadn't assigned the bikes yet and would when we got outside. I also told him that we all were riding single EXCEPT for my bother-in-law who had brought his girl friend and they would need a bike with a backrest. Well you guessed it he got the bike without the backrest and I got one with a tour pack with backrest and wanted the stock RK. I ask them to swap the bikes and this took them close to another hour to figure out that they couldn’t cancel the insurance and would have to make us co-riders to each others bikes. This would have been OK; but I had used my credit card that adds extra coverage to cover the deductible if I had an accident to keep from having to pay the $1000 and this would now only cover the bike I wasn’t riding. I understand that mistakes happen and told the guy that they should give us some kind of break (hint hint T-Shirt, free gas on return, something like that). He said he didn’t have to rent bikes and he could tell me another place that does. If I had more time and or I hadn’t traveled 2000 miles to ride this area I would have canceled all the rentals.
The bikes also had problems the bike I traded to my Brother-in-law the handle bars were loose and the shocks kept bottoming out, the bike I rode the horn didn’t work and the kick stand spring didn’t work, one of the bikes his uncle was on the shocks kept bottoming out.
To sum it all up Golden Gate HD rented us bikes (with problems) for 6 hours for $100 with slow and bad customer service.

I have rented before and got great service from Jim’s HD in St. Petersburg, Fla.
The rental guy there even gave me a discount when he asked how it went and I jokingly said the Duce I was riding shifted to smooth to be a HD!

I should have known something was wrong with GG HD went I noticed they were playing disco on the store music system.
Here in the south you’d go out business fast doing that LOL!!!

B

·
0 Posts
Rental rates

Was interested in renting a bike the next time I travel on a vacation that I will either fly or drive. What can one expect to pay on average for a rental bike in the different classes? Touring, softail etc?

Since most of the fly and ride programs are done through a dealership, I am sure they cant wait to see you (and your wallet) coming!

$100 for 4 bikes is pretty steep for only 6 hours since you can rent a luxury car for 24 hours with unlimited mileage for about $35, and they will be practically brand new with no service issues!

B6

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Boar6 that was $100 per bike and they hit my credit card for $150 total looks like they also miss quoted thier price to me.
Rental fees are usualy $125 per day with discounts for multi-day rentals.

B

·
0 Posts
THIS IS A STICKUP! EVERYBODY DOWN

Did they at least pull out a hand gun on you? $150 for 6 hours???

Guess that if I really need to ride the scoot on vacation, I am packing it in the trailer!

B6

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Dealers rent bikes in two different ways, as HD authorized rental centers and thru HOG fly and ride. This is not the same by a longshot. If you have the time to reserve the bike thru HOG, at least you have the recourse to have HOG straighten the dealer out. A few just have rental bikes on the side, and it would be no different then renting from any company. Some of the independents are quite good, but always more expensive then HOG.

It isn't cheap, but taking a bike cross country, or worse to Europe, for a day or two of riding, is even more expensive. It's not the thing you do every day, but it's nice to have the option.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have had excellent experience with the HOG Fly and Ride in Phoenix, L.A. and Seattle WA. Also Frank DelMotte in Phoenix, Western Motorcycle tours does an excellent job. Bikes at all these places were in excellent condition with good rubber and no service issues. As matter of fact, did develop a dead battery 100 mi from Flagstaff in Indian Reservatiopn, Within 6 hours I had been picked up and hauled to harley dealer, received a new battery and was on the road. I don't think you can beat that kind of service.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
We were in Orlando two weeks ago and HD of Orlando had a V-Rod they were renting for $250.00 an hour. Thats right, an hour.:eek:

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
ridiculous

Thats outrageous!

Bet you they had a line of suckers that were waiting for the turn at throwing their money away!

Either way you look at it. Its a fricken Harley motorcycle with TWO wheels. Whats their justification to do this?

If they had reasonable rental prices, I would bet to say that they would rent the damn thing all day by the sheer virtue of curiousity.

I hope it sits there and gets flat spotting on the tires!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I hope it sits there and gets flat spotting on the tires!
It's funny you mention this because there were several people standing around it but for as long as I was there it never did move.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts