V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody having a problem with the paint on their trike 2015 tri glide ultra left fender paints all cracking and coming off. They say gelcoat's supposed to be great I don't think so 7000 miles the paint cracks

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
if the dealer wont put in a claim on it,, you're screwed.. sometimes the hay ones do strange things to paint and parts.. harley paint is usually good.. maybe it was repaired prior to selling it to you. I've seen that when I worked at the dealer..

·
Registered
743 Posts
It's possible the cracked paint was caused by flexing of the fibreglass, very common on older corvettes. I have no Idea what kind of paint they are using now, My 2015 RGS has a small cracked area on the fairing and I have never bumped or dropped it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,330 Posts
It's possible the cracked paint was caused by flexing of the fibreglass, very common on older corvettes. I have no Idea what kind of paint they are using now, My 2015 RGS has a small cracked area on the fairing and I have never bumped or dropped it.

BUT someone dropped it is probably why you sent your radio off to be rebuilt. The faring hit the pavement and shocked the whole insides. The cracked area is where a body man put tape on the inside of the crack and then filled the crack without proper preparation.2¢

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,330 Posts
if the dealer wont put in a claim on it,, you're screwed.. sometimes the hay ones do strange things to paint and parts.. harley paint is usually good.. maybe it was repaired prior to selling it to you. I've seen that when I worked at the dealer..
Repaired I'd say. I have had a couple times already where I was too close to the bumper pole at the fuel pump or pulling next to a rider with hard bags.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It wasnt wreck. Didn't hit anything Harley shop don't care. Live in small town trying to find somebody does the paint job.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Whens they sand it down you can see what the fibreglass looks like under the cracked paint.

·
Registered
10,330 Posts
Plastidip.
On my left fender is a scratch in the black shows red underneath. The trike is red and black so the red was done first then the black The black must be plasti-dip, because the red shows no sign of a scratch. I'd take a picture of it, but it is a cold wet walk to the garage.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Plastidip is a rubber, even if it has the "gloss" top coat, you'd know if it was plastidip. I was just suggesting that you could fix it with plastidip, but that was really kind of a joke. Only way I would consider dipping my bike would be to test a color scheme to see if I really liked it before spending the money on real paint.

Or I may just hunt around for parts and replace them with the same color, probably cheaper than painting at this time. Need a tank to start, has a dent in the corner. Cracks all over the upper fairing from leaning on something, etc., etc. I don't hate the color, but the paint is in poor shape over all.

·
Registered
10,330 Posts
Maybe I should have said plastic paint. In the late 90's I had a tank from a 83 Kawi 750 painted black with it because black is faster. I was told not to let gas touch it for 3 weeks and he was right as it bubbled around the gas cap and had to be redone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts