V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Keep the rubber side down
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, at times, I turn on the ignition switch and then the run switch. When I turn on the run swithch, I'm supposed to hear the fuel pump, right? Well lately, at times, the fuel pump isn't doing anything when I turn on the run switch. If I try to start the bike, it simply turns over and does not start. There have been a few times, while riding the bike, that the bike has stumbled, like it ran out of fuel. WTF? Does that sound like a fuel pump to you guys? I just replaced the fuel pump in June of this year. Is it just my bad luck with the fuel pumps if that's what it is?

HELP!

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I'm not an expierenced bike wrench but I work on cars alot and troubleshoot jets for a living. From the sound of it you're looking at a switch problem or an intermitten open in a wire. I'd start by tearing into your run/stop switch and make sure the contacts are clean. If that all looks good run a multimeter (Fluke meter) from the switch to the pump end and look for solid continuity while you move the bars around(to move the wires).

I'd bet a dollar that it's not your pump. When a pump goes out it just goes out (usually!)...If you're feeling real froggy you can hot wire from the battery straight to the pump. If it whirrs and pumps, you're lookin at the switch or wires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, I would go about it in a different style of trouble shooting,
1/. with the ignition on and your fingers against the fuel pump relay you should feel a click, if not pull the relay and test.
2/. the relay is the direct switching device that is attached in sequence to the power on, if you feel a click then test the fuel pump fuse.
usually it is the relay that is faulty, by the way I have changed 2 on 07 softails lately on their starter circuit boh were faulty not the starter.

·
Doof Bag
274 Posts
might be a fuel filter issue as well.

·
Keep the rubber side down
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All great suggestions

I took off the seat and messed around with some wires. Voila! Now all I have to do is find out where the short is.
Thanks

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Anybody noticed when its really hot out the pump does come on, if the bike was just riden? I am thinking its already presurrized???

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Fuel pump, side by side with the clutch, is one of the best Harley parts. YOUR FUEL PUMP IS OK, I know that since I faced similar problem. So, several years ago my fuel pump sometimes used to stop running during regular ride. Usually the fuel pump fuse was an issue. I asked idiots at the Harley dealer what to do, and they told me to put stronger fuse. After several weeks AGAIN fuel pump fuse was dead. They told me to put stronger fuse, again. So, I supposed that I could put the nail instead putting new fuses.

So, first Harley dealer told me that my fuel pump was dead definitely. But, Harley dealer in the Netherlands, my friend, told me that that was not possible, since fuel pump was one of the best Harley parts and he suggested me to start searching for the cause of the problem somewhere else.

So, I said to myself that the bike was not clever than me, so I started "investigating" and searching for the cause of problems. I expected to spend months in order to find the problem, BUT I WAS EXTREMELY LUCKY and after just several seconds of "following" the fuel pump electrical lines under the seat, something stinged my finger, some blood showed up: one small, very tiny wire "peeped out" from fuel pump electrical plastic wires, about 1/2" from the frame. When riding, that skinny and tiny wire did not use to touch the frame, but SOMETIMES during rough ride, when I "pushed" my seat with my butt, that tiny and skinny wire used to TOUCH the frame, from time to time, and that was the reason for the fuel pump fuse to die.

So, that was the problem, fuel pump was OK, even though it seemed that the fuel pump was dead and ready to be changed/replaced.

So, the conclusion and my advice is: just keep on searching for the real cause of the problem, I suppose it is not the fuel pump issue.

I saved my money, I saved my fuel pump, so I just put some tape on these electrical wires and everything has been perfect since that time.

Just my 2cc. Good luck and ride safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts