V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a buddy that I ride with and some of the "delinquents" may remember him riding with us. (Bill with the red Fatty) Anywho...he has one of the '05 motors that are gushin' oil which he purchased at East Coast in Dumfries Va. He is up to about a Qt. in 750-1000 miles and fouls plugs with regularity. I followed him down for the initial drop off and test which they say was inconclusive. (they admitted the plugs fouled when tested) He got a little hot with them but for the most part controlled his temper and left with his bike with instructions to return in a 100 miles. He did and the oil was down a Qt but the plugs weren't completely fouled at this time, back out again, (he's gettin hotter by now) doesn't even get home and the plugs fouled. With nobody to follow him back down there (and the bike was runnin' lousy) he simply took the plugs out and drove his truck back to show them the plugs. The guy running the service department told him it was no proof because he couldn't prove they were from his bike. What a run around...they've basically told him they ain't gonna fix it so he's takin' it to Frederick HD in Md...the've jabbed me a couple of times but it was only a few buck...I don't do business with them anymore and I'd suggest being real careful in your dealings with them from now on...

·
Twin Fan
80 Posts
Geez so now I have heard bad stories about all four Northern Virginia dealers. What'd we do to HD??? I have heard good things about Frederick HD so hopefully he gets things straight. I am tossing around the idea of a dyno tune and that is pretty much the only dealer I'd consider at this point. They are just across the river from me so it works out.

Hope Bill has better luck with Frederick.

Bret

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
slo100 said:
Geez so now I have heard bad stories about all four Northern Virginia dealers. What'd we do to HD??? I have heard good things about Frederick HD so hopefully he gets things straight. I am tossing around the idea of a dyno tune and that is pretty much the only dealer I'd consider at this point. They are just across the river from me so it works out.

Hope Bill has better luck with Frederick.

Bret
Frederick HD is where my buddy is taking his bike to have the WARRANTY issue taken care of...heard they're a good bunch up there! He's already talked with him and they agreed to do the work...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
Frederick HD is where my buddy is taking his bike to have the WARRANTY issue taken care of...heard they're a good bunch up there! He's already talked with him and they agreed to do the work...
I've dealt with Fred HD a few times and have no complaints. They seem like good people. Hopefully they will treat your buddy right. Thats total BS that East Coast is pulling!

·
Banned
139 Posts
If you get someone's name that is good to work with let us know. Patriot and Whitt suck real bad in every way. I have a 05' and forsee some warranty work that will need to be done.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
roloplex said:
If you get someone's name that is good to work with let us know. Patriot and Whitt suck real bad in every way. I have a 05' and forsee some warranty work that will need to be done.
When I do my build I'll be headed to Frederick HD for the tune/dyno...sadlly I know of a number of problems with both Patriot and East Coast...the only issue I ever had with Whitt's is the parts people wouldn't know where their a$$ was 'til ya jabbed 'em there...though I understand their help is a little short on experience but Bob that runs service is a pretty nice guy...Nobody I know has had a problem with Washinton HD in Ft WAsh. Md...just across the bridge...anyone???

·
Woo Hoo!
178 Posts
I know I've read a couple bad things about Whitt's in Manassas, however, they took care of my oil consumption problem (05 Dyna WG) without any hassle. I provided a copy of the "Diagnosing Oil Consumption" tech tip, and the fouled plugs to the service manager Bob. He wasn't to happy about what HD wanted them to do, but said they would check it out. They called the next day and reported they would replace the valve seals under warranty. Had the bike back a couple days later. Hasn't used any oil since.

JD

PS
I did purchase my ride from Whitt's. Although it shouldn't make any difference.

·
Banned
139 Posts
The work they do at Whitt's is good and Bob is a good guy. They are just very un-organized about their service. You know like saying they have the part and your bike will be ready later that day and then you get the call that they don't have the part and you end up getting your bike back 3 days later. They also try to rip you off. I took my bike in to get the back wheel trued (under warranty) and they tried to charge me $75 for removal of aftermarket pipes to fix the wheel. My pipes are stock and they are idiots. The worst is when they call you and say your bike is done and when you get up there you have to wait 30mins while they dick around trying to find your work order and figure out which bike is yours.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
roloplex said:
The work they do at Whitt's is good and Bob is a good guy. They are just very un-organized about their service. You know like saying they have the part and your bike will be ready later that day and then you get the call that they don't have the part and you end up getting your bike back 3 days later. They also try to rip you off. I took my bike in to get the back wheel trued (under warranty) and they tried to charge me $75 for removal of aftermarket pipes to fix the wheel. My pipes are stock and they are idiots. The worst is when they call you and say your bike is done and when you get up there you have to wait 30mins while they dick around trying to find your work order and figure out which bike is yours.
So, you are saying their work is good except that they don't know what they are doing, rip you off, and are terribly unorganized...

Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Woo Hoo!
178 Posts
roloplex said:
I'd say you about summed it up. I had similar experiences. While doing the warranty valve seal replacemnt, I requested 5K service and the install of chrome front end, left the parts when I dropped the bike. They called asking what parts I wanted installed, duh, and of course overfilled the crankcase by about 1/4 qt. while doing the service. I'll be doing my own work next time.

jd

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a couple positive experiences with Fort Washington HD.
When I bought my 05 FXD I wanted the Stage 1 done at the same time. I priced out the V&H BR, but I found them cheaper elsewhere (Eastern Performance). They let me buy the pipes and bring them in, then installed them for the same money they had originally quoted. Granted, that is the proper way to do business, but many places won't put on parts not purchased through them without recouping the money somehow.
My second experience was an ill fated atempt to save money on a forward foot control install. I bought some Jay Brakes and had an Indy shop south of Fredericksburg put them on. They failed to get the job done properly and I took the bike back up to Fort Washington to have them correct the mistakes. It took a couple days (had to wait on a new shift rod from Jay Brake), but they did a great job.
The service department is run by a no nonsense woman (who happens to be very attractive as well).
Each time the bike was cleaned and ready to ride (something a lot of the other "local" dealers didn't do for my 03). The service manager also went over each work order line by line. On the pipe install she came to a line containing 2 $2 washers and wasn't sure why they had used them, so she asked me to hold on a minute. She went into the service area and talked to the technician that worked on the bike. When she came out she pointed out where they went and why he used them. I didn't ask for her to do this, it's just part of the way they do business.
They are the only dealer I allow to work on my bike.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I'm sorry to hear they guy had a bad experience. In general, I've been treaded well by Rick and the staff at East Coast.

I'd bet he lost them when he lost his temper. Not that he isn't within his rights to expect a new bike to function correctly. But I know the staff at EC shuts down when tempers flare.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
wyodude said:
I'm sorry to hear they guy had a bad experience. In general, I've been treaded well by Rick and the staff at East Coast.

I'd bet he lost them when he lost his temper. Not that he isn't within his rights to expect a new bike to function correctly. But I know the staff at EC shuts down when tempers flare.
That would have been my take too...but he didn't lose it 'til they blew him off (Bill is a straight up guy with no reason to lie to me)...I took him there to pick up his bike (with a new set of plugs purchased at Patriot) and they treated me kinda snotty for just comin' in the door with him...Arlie (the parts guy) had this stunned look on his face after hearin' 'em talk to me...I'm usually in a great mood (you know me)...but I walked outta there more convinced than ever!!! Guess Bill wasn't spendin' umpteen thousand dollars there!

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
My experiences

Fort Washington
  • Did my SE BB II. Bike runs great. Only complaint was the wrench did not secure the ECM back.
  • I found everyone very knowledgeable and helpful, even though I did not purchase my bike from them.
Patriot
  • Did warranty work on my stator/compensating sprocket nut. No complaints at all.
  • Changed my tires. I had already taken the wheels of my bike. I had called ahead (last Friday @15:00). The asst. service manager thought they could work me in. Would be Saturday at the latest. Got there and was told it may be the end of next week. I asked for the person I had spoken to on the phone. He said no problem, Saturday at the latest. I went to to Costco and 2 hrs later, the tires were done. (I had also brought them the new Metzelers I got from Eastern Performance.)
Whitt's
  • Bought my bike there
  • Have always been good to me
  • Did all my maintenance to 10k
  • Scratched my rear fender, told me about it, and replaced it.
Frederick
  • Did my dyno tune. Only issue is whether they did enough to get the "saddle" out of my torque curve. Rob unfortunately did not do my tune. Bike runs great!
East Coast
  • Went in day after Thanksgiving, just riding around. Noticed an '04 Ultra and started inquiring about a trade. Ended up talking to the owner, which I did not know until I was about to leave. Treated grand by the owner. The parts guy didn't really know his stuff, but to be fair my questions were more for a wrench.

I do my own maintenance since 10k, so will only take my bike in for warranty work and tire replacement. I am thinking about cancelling my 5 yr extended warranty.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Patriot HD's service has been consistently good for me. I bought my bike through an overseas program and had it delivered through them. They installed my chrome swingarm and chrome front forks, as well as taking care of a couple of warranty items. Their parts department has helped me out quite a bit too.

Ft. Washington HD has been good for parts. Never used them for service.

East Coast has a bad reputation for service and sales going back through the years. I've only had good experiences with their parts people but I have buddies who claim to have been gouged be the sales and service staffs.

I stay away from Whitt's. The other three will all discount parts 10%, Whitt's doesn't. Whitt's own parts staff even complained to me that they think the dealership is tightfisted.

That said, I've started to do my maintenance myself and buy my parts from Zanotti (20% off and John has been easy to work with).

·
Registered
23 Posts
My impression of EC is that they stink. Took bike in with minor pivot bushing problem with shifting after about 2500 miles. Guy at service desk wasn't sure bike had pivot bushing, never heard of problem but go ahead and leave bike for a few days in middle of summer. BS. My opinion is that EC is just out to rip you off any way they can. Called Patriot, service appointment for next day, identified correct problem and bike done in a couple of hours. Bought bike from Patriot to begin with cause of attitude at EC which is only a few miles from house. Anyway, my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Has anyone with complaints considered documenting them and writing the MoCo? I realize that each dealership is a franchise, but the all still carry the HD name. Not sure what (if any) response it might get, but I would think that if enough people complained about the same issues and the same dealerships, something might change.

Btw, I've been to all the dealerships mentioned in my travels, and can say without hesitation that all of the t-shirt girls knew what they were doing. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I have had good experience with HD of Frederick. They followed up my cam install and dyno tune with a call to see if I was satisfied with the service, etc. I bought my bike at Whitts and had both the 1000 and 5000 mile service done there, no follow up call either time. HD of Frederick did great work and treated me right, so I will go the extra 30 miles for service there.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Gordito said:
Has anyone with complaints considered documenting them and writing the MoCo? I realize that each dealership is a franchise, but the all still carry the HD name. Not sure what (if any) response it might get, but I would think that if enough people complained about the same issues and the same dealerships, something might change.

Btw, I've been to all the dealerships mentioned in my travels, and can say without hesitation that all of the t-shirt girls knew what they were doing. :thumbsup:
I had completed a MOCO dealership survey and listed all of the horrible experiences I had with East Coast. MOCO called me few weeks later to speak about it. I explained exactly what happened and the "customer relations rep" said that I would receive a call back in a few days. Never heard back. Moco doesn't care as long as we keep buyin thier bikes!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts