V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '87 FXRS isn't starting. At first I thought it was the battery because it seemed to only start when the battery was at a full charge, so I assumed that the battery was bad. I replaced it and still had the same problem. The plugs would only spark one time then stop. So I made sure all the wiring was fine and wasn't grounding out anywhere. I finally traced a problem to the coil and thought I had it all figured out when I found a wire had slipped out of its crimp connector. I repaired that and she fired right up... and then died again. I haven't been able to start it since. I think maybe it's just a bad coil and every once in a while it fires up?

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
well you've narrowed it down to spark. have you isolated the plugs and the wires from being the problem? if so, then you're only left with the coil.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changed the plugs and still had the same wire. I will add that we tested the terminals with a voltmeter and it seemed that one side of the coil was getting little to no action. I'm assuming it's the coil, but just wanted to get a little more outside info just in case it could be something else. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
if you can borrow a friends coil off of his bike and put it on you're bike to see if that's the problem. it's the cheapest way to check your coil.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
You can't always go by coil resistance. My bike was stalling at idle, I bumped the idle. Which I knew was a band aid. Then it started cutting out when riding, causing it to back fire.

So I replaced it, and problem went away.

HD coils are made in China now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you can borrow a friends coil off of his bike and put it on you're bike to see if that's the problem. it's the cheapest way to check your coil.
Yeah, I tried that but all my friends ride shovels and those aren't compatible. Might just have to break down and buy a new one. Probably upgrade from stock. I was planning on doing that anyway, just didn't want to do it yet.

·
Registered
549 Posts
what ignition are you running? we have found the wires coming out of the cone on the right side of the motor can crack from being old, vibration, or both. we had a bike doing the same thing !

coil maybe.....borrow a good coil and check that 1st but if it keeps on dieing out I would upgrade to a new single fire ignition and coil ! and get that bike on the road good luck

·
Registered
549 Posts
COIL ? Maybe !

what ignition are you running? Is it stock and or OEM

we have found the wires coming out of the cone on the right side of the motor can crack from being old, vibration, or both. we had a bike doing the same thing !

coil maybe.....borrow a good coil and check that 1st but if it keeps on dieing out I would upgrade to a new single fire ignition and coil ! and get that bike on the road good luck :cya:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts