V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a used 2011 Heritage for my wife from a dealer. The previous owner had the dealership install the Stage 1 kit with air filter and Vance & Hines Staggered pipes. They told us they tuned or flashed the on-board module for the Stage 1 kit.

When we bought the bike, we had the dealer install the Harley Smart Security system (#41000021A). They had to replace the module from what we were told.

They gave us the old module (#69991-11 BCM BASE Y-AXIS) back.

Should they have flashed the new module for the Stage 1 kit that was already installed?

Why does the bike backfire when we decel from speed?

Could it be they forgot to flash the new module after they installed the new module to compensate for the Stage 1 kit?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that was what the dealer said.

I posted the parts they used or replaced in my original post in hopes someone could tell me what they did....

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
The module for the security system is a seperate issue from the decel backfire you are hearing. Yes the module needs flashed in for the key fobs to marry to the system.

The decel pop is usually a lean condition. You need to find out if they did a Stage I flash to the ECM (main computer) or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't think that decel backfiring was a 'lean' issue.

I thought it had to do with fresh air mixing with unburnt fuel coming out of the engine under off throttle situations. And since I had a free flowing muffler, shouldn't that allow the fresh air to get into the exhaust system and mix with the unburnt fuel at the header pipe under off throttle situations resulting in the little "bangs" that I hear.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I didn't think that decel backfiring was a 'lean' issue.

I thought it had to do with fresh air mixing with unburnt fuel coming out of the engine under off throttle situations. And since I had a free flowing muffler, shouldn't that allow the fresh air to get into the exhaust system and mix with the unburnt fuel at the header pipe under off throttle situations resulting in the little "bangs" that I hear.
In short...no.
Decel backfire is almost always associated with a lean condition. Freer flowing exhaust does not allow fresh air in. It lets the exhaust out easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts