V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 883-1200 backfires and shoots flames when I let off the throttle. ANy ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
Might be a little rich. Did you change the fuel mix? I am speculating so I agree with my fellow poster below. I'm sure someone with more knowledge about fueling than I will chime in. Did you make any changes immediately prior to the problem starting? If so, that's where I would look.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I thought that this was a lean condition...better wait for the experts to ring in on this topic (especially with the whole flame thing). In the mean time, do a search on Backfire, you'll seet that lots of people have had an issue similar to this.

·
Known Associate
175 Posts
In many, if not most, cases, an exhaust leak will produce this. What happens is when you let off the throttle, the decelerating engine speed causes a vacuum which sucks air into the exhaust pipe leak. This 'fresh' incoming air, mixes with the 'unburnt' fuel exiting the combustion chamber, gets heated by the already hot exhaust pipe and ignites it. Kaboom!

With the engine running, take a bottle of soap/water solution, spray it on the areas that may cause an exhaust leak: where the pipes attach to the head, where the pipes attach to the muffllers, etc. and look for 'bubbling'. If you see any, that's where your leak is. If it's where the pipes attach to the head, change the exhaust gaskets. If it's where the mufflers slip into the pipes, remove them, put a thin coat of hi-temperature silicone around the end of the muffler, slip it back on, tighten it up, let it sit for 5-10 minutes and fire her up.

If after doing all this, it still doesn't go away, you at least have eliminated this as a potential problem.

Next, do the same with your carbeurator/manifold setup. If this doesn't help, your carb could be too lean or too rich, which in any case, needs to be looked at by a competent mechanic to adjust.

The absolute worst case situation could be any of the following:
a burnt valve(s), bad ignition, ignition timing off, the list can go on forever, so try the easy stuff first.

Good luck, Wes.

If

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mad Dog said:
In many, if not most, cases, an exhaust leak will produce this. What happens is when you let off the throttle, the decelerating engine speed causes a vacuum which sucks air into the exhaust pipe leak. This 'fresh' incoming air, mixes with the 'unburnt' fuel exiting the combustion chamber, gets heated by the already hot exhaust pipe and ignites it. Kaboom!

With the engine running, take a bottle of soap/water solution, spray it on the areas that may cause an exhaust leak: where the pipes attach to the head, where the pipes attach to the muffllers, etc. and look for 'bubbling'. If you see any, that's where your leak is. If it's where the pipes attach to the head, change the exhaust gaskets. If it's where the mufflers slip into the pipes, remove them, put a thin coat of hi-temperature silicone around the end of the muffler, slip it back on, tighten it up, let it sit for 5-10 minutes and fire her up.

If after doing all this, it still doesn't go away, you at least have eliminated this as a potential problem.

Next, do the same with your carbeurator/manifold setup. If this doesn't help, your carb could be too lean or too rich, which in any case, needs to be looked at by a competent mechanic to adjust.

The absolute worst case situation could be any of the following:
a burnt valve(s), bad ignition, ignition timing off, the list can go on forever, so try the easy stuff first.

Good luck, Wes.

If

Thanks Mad Dog.
You pretty much brought it back to ground. the possibilities do seem endless and my mind been racing all over. Start simple and hope for the best. Ill be on it today. I went right to the burnt valve cause my first thought is always a negative one.:flames:
thanks also to the other replies all input helps.

One Eye

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mad Dog...
like you said....start simple. gaskets gone on both pipes...they were down to wire mesh. Now to to try and get the golden brown look off the top of the pipes.

thanks again

One Eye

1 - 8 of 8 Posts