V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you boyz and girrrlz bit(hing about no changes to the 03's think again. If you take the engine apart you will find a surprise. No more Timken bearings. Just two straigt roller bearings with thrust washers. Just like a Panhead. Blahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Is this good or bad :(

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might be good for HD because it is much easier to assemble with unskilled labor or robots, and cheaper.

When they went to the Timken bearings it was because they are much more accurate at controlling axial play then thrust washers that are subject to wear.

At least the straight roller bearings are much larger then they were in the pans.

Not sure I like the cold end play spec of 0 - 0.0005" It really means you are half a thou away from axial interference fit between the wheels and cases.

Just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
There goes my ideal of a "Big Bore" kit in five years. Kinda think I will keep her stock (other than the EFI stage 1 and the Vance and Hines Staggered Super Shots).

Sounds as if you hop this motor up you might have your crank dragging on the ground from bearing failure...

Oh well, I still get the "Gunmetal Pearl" color :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts