V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Hi FG!

I know I haven't been posting recently. For that I apologize. You are a great bunch of folks, and this board is a great place for HD advice.

Trouble is, I haven't been able to get a loan for a new bike. My credit is shot fulla more holes than my brother's underwear after a jar of pickled eggs.

With all the college payments I got from my two kids, and a recent house equity loan, I'm overextended pretty bad. I got $3000 squirreled away that the missus doesn't know about. The new job I will be starting Monday has the potential for some sweet overtime, and I estimate 3-400 a week just in OT. Probably wouldn't take me long to make that 3k grow.

Trouble is, because of this, I guess I won't be riding a Harley new or used until mid-summer. =(

I looked and looked for any old bike, even a basket case for around 3k. Nothing!

To top it all off, in my new job, I can't really sit around and post on forums too much. Guess I'll have to play catch up here when I get home at night.

Blah, sorry to lament too much around you guys. You don't need to hear my whining. I'm just depressed cuz now I cant get me new bike. =(

·
old timer
516 Posts
You're better off to save and scrounge than to pay some wild-ass interest rate to get a loan when your credit is less than sterling. Good things come to those that wait. Patience, my friend.

Good luck !

"Endeavor to Perservere !"

manny

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I waited until I could put half down in cash, plenty of extra cash flow for the payments and had no other pressing bills Higmo....it was a long wait but to me its the right thing to do.

Some of the "ride to live" crowd may disagree with me, but in my mind a bike came only after a nice house, a college fund for the son, a healthy retiement fund, good cars, etc. Again, it may be different for some, but I would have felt selfish if I bought the bike with anything other that "extra, money". Not saying you should think of it that way but if the "screw it dude....buy it with grocery money and a big loan and then hide it from the repo man" crowd can have their say then so can I.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. I won't ever take out a loan that screws me with interest. It's not that my credit is bad, I'm just overextended too much. This new job at 8k more a year than I currently earn will loosen things up a bit. That, and 2 more years of college for my son, I am good to go.

I have a couple things to sell, which will add to the 3k I got stashed. Maybe by May I'll have enough to get a used superglide or something. I'm not a "ride to live" guy either. I just don't want to spend all summer without a bike.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Need A H.D.

Higmo,

I got almost the same situation that you do. Daughter in school etc. I will first be back to work in April. Hang in there and keep putting what you can away. It kicks my ass not having a scooter after riding for 18 years, but that is the way things are. BUT it will not be forever.
My ride will return.

Ride Safe.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Higmo,

On again..off again, dammit:mad:

Your son is damn lucky to have you put his education first. I'd be tempted to send him a student loan application and a "Dear Son" letter.

Its small consolation, but wantin' it is half of the fun!

Regards,

wyodude

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
It would be far worse to buy it, love it, then lose it. The initial investment is just the beginning.

Good time to look at your cash flow. There are ways to reduce your monthly expenses without losing a thing but it takes some time to do it right.

If your credit sucks right now, then build it. Get a couple of high interest credit cards that allow a 30 day grace period. Use em but make sure you can pay the balance monthly. Also make sure that the payments are reported. Give that about nine months while saving for the down while increasing the net income.

Fact is, if you are looking to buy an 02, you may get a better deal around October. With the 100 year coming up the push will be on the 03's so you may make out better in the October timeframe on an 02 that is in stock.

Use an internet site like Barnetts and get yourself pre-qualified for the purchase. ( I am bnot saying buy from them, just get the pre qualification out of the way with HD Credit.) Print that out, and take it to the shop you end up dealing with. They will use it to close the deal.

Hang in there Higmo. It will happen when it should happen. In the mean time, hug your kid knowing you are doing the right thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts