V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Urgent!
I'm half way through taking the back wheel out, the axel won't come out! Trying WD40. Its spinning but seems to be seized to the bearings and spacers, they're spining too :confused:

So much for my stealership using anti-seize at the last tyre change :mad:

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Harleyhog, it is very common the first time you remove the rear wheel for the first time that you give it a good tap with a mallet to get the axel free. For mine I had to remove the rear muffler the first time to do this. After that I had no problems.

Later,

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Take it easy bro, I doubt it is seized.

Saddle bags off and muffler dropped right?

Now confirm that you removed three parts from the left side of the axle.

3 not 2. Did you remove 3 parts?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doin that, its not budgin! I'm thinkin if I grab hold of the large spacer on the belt side with vice grips, then wrench the axle from the right??????

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
LOL hell no! Get that spacer off first of all.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Well, get you a board block and place over the axel end and give it a good WHACK!!!!!!!!!. It will come out!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hey 5th check it out. Only the UK and HOUSTON are awake and protecting the world. LOL

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JimmyK said:
Take it easy bro, I doubt it is seized.

Saddle bags off and muffler dropped right?

Now confirm that you removed three parts from the left side of the axle.

3 not 2. Did you remove 3 parts?

Split pin out, castle nut off with its washer

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Cool now the spacer comes off then tap axle to the right. It will come out. The bike is on a lift right?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now jimmy if you think about it, how can I drop the spacer out if the axle's still goin through it! The bast=rd won't budge!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Sorry I thought you had it moved some then stopped.

Try the 2x4 block. It will move but it should be tight.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the shocks off at the bottom, bike lowered to get access to the axel, cheatin a bit.
Puttin them back on and gonna drop the muffler, see if it'll move with a bit of weight on it?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Yea muffleer needs to be dropped. Going to work now will check in when I get there bro. With the muffler dropped you will get it. See ya in an hour or so.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mission accomplished!!! Man that b=gger needed one hell of a couple of whacks to move!
Now to change the tyre, tube and brake pads.......
Updates throughout the day.... ; ^ )

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Cool, 5th Gear and I will send you a bill as soon as we figure out the charges plus International fees for the tech advice.

Let's see 2 techs at $50 per hr + $15 International x 2 due to Central Standard Time Premium + $240 Long Distance Modem Charges x 2 minus $2.50 x 2 for non certified tech advice plus $2.00 for coffee consumed while on duty.

Ok I think we will get it figured out.

Bla HAHAGladItWorkedOutBro HA!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NO PROBLEM my friends. Will VISA suffice?
(Rubber of course) :D

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well thats all done an dusted.
Just back from a spin, everything A OK.
Considering its the first time I've changed a back wheel on a bike before I think I did pretty well.
One problem though, I put on a Avon VenomX Wide White Wall. The quality of the whitewalling is shite!!!
On the edge of the tyre wall where it should be black theres a splattering of white here an there, looks like somebody got sloppy with a paint brush!!!
They had it covered with black tyre paint. Think I must'ave got a 'seconds' we call them here. Not quite perfect but saleable.

One mail order company getting a nasty e-mail!

Is this common with Avon www's?

hippos got a new scoot...............

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Holy Cow Dung Batman! I don't think I ever want to change my own tire and brake pads now... :eek:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its easy when you know how.......snigger snigger.
The hard parts gettin the Mrs to hold the back of the bike up for that long! :eek: :eek: :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts