V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using B&M Trick Shift with the HD primary chain adjuster? Please share your experience.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
That's what I'm using and it works great. I have a hard time finding neutral when the bike's running, however it has done that with any/all fluids...that's the nature of the automatic adjuster (spring loaded adjuster). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Is anyone using B&M Trick Shift with the HD primary chain adjuster? Please share your experience.
Oil has no bearing on that component, but if you have a late model with an SE comp and thin oils like atf it will die quickly.
Ron

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. I have an 06 Road King with Energy 1 clutch. Dyno run showed a little slippage using Valvoline VR1 20w-50 oil in the primary. Tuner suggested switching to trick shift oil. And I want to install the automatic chain tensioner.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
I had a automatic adjuster, had problems with it., really a waste of money once your primary chain is stretched out there really isnt any adjusting to do.
I'm sure I'll get flamed , but it really is something else to go wrong.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I had a automatic adjuster, had problems with it., really a waste of money once your primary chain is stretched out there really isnt any adjusting to do.
I'm sure I'll get flamed , but it really is something else to go wrong.
@gree: I wish the MoCo wouldn't have installed the auto adjuster on the newer TC's, the manual one on my 06 Ultra has worked just fine since new with little to no adjustment needed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
@gree: I wish the MoCo wouldn't have installed the auto adjuster on the newer TC's, the manual one on my 06 Ultra has worked just fine since new with little to no adjustment needed.
I agree. I modded mine so it's now manual adjustment. No more tight chain or howling from the primary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see some people are pro and anti auto chain adjuster.

Now the guys who are pro - what one are you using and where did you get it from?

I see there are a hydraulic one from H-B, any good?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I just recently put a harley auto adjuster in 2000 RK .

Thought it was fine , then i started hearing a howling noise the other night .

Pulled the primary yesterday , reinstalled the auto .As per directions .

When the roads dry out later today will test run .

Hope its working . If not out its coming and putting old one back in.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I used the HB for around a year but took it out and went back to manual because it just felt better to shift, easier to find neutral, shoe seemed to wear down real quick and I didnt notice any performance improvement with it. When I went to new cams and SS gear is when the timeing engagement improved. The reason they have them on all the bikes now if for better timing engagement. IMHO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts