V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a possible install of this kit. 80 inch is supposedly gauranteed to produce minimum of 85 HP.

Anyone have any advice/experience with this kit?

It includes cylinders, pistons, and gaskets.

My wrench quoted me $1200 installed.

Also, I am at about 75 hp now...is a 10+ hp gain noticable?

Thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
What have you done to it already?
What kind of a Torque increase are you expecting to get? Cuz thats what your
gonna feel the most.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have Longshot pipes with no baffles (cut down the baffles to just the mountings for some backpressure), S&S Super E, Crane single-fire, Andrews EV-27, and ported heads.

What I am thinking of doing is going to a 42mm Mikuni and the Axtell cylinder kit. I am looking for torque rather that horsepower (to a degree). It is my understanding that a Mikuni has a lot more jet adjustability than an S&S. To me, that equates to throttle response and torque. But I could be wrong...

I might get what what I'm looking for with just the Mikuni. That's what I am trying to figure out.

Thanks for any advice!!!!

·
FXR
117 Posts
i have basically the same set up as you, with the exception of pipes. i'm running a 2 into 1 white brothers E-series and i'm getting 82 horses. you might look into getting some tunable 2 into 1s... much cheaper than jugs.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
axtell

FlamedFXSTC said:
Looking at a possible install of this kit. 80 inch is supposedly gauranteed to produce minimum of 85 HP.

Anyone have any advice/experience with this kit?

It includes cylinders, pistons, and gaskets.

My wrench quoted me $1200 installed.

Also, I am at about 75 hp now...is a 10+ hp gain noticable?

Thanks!!!!
am I to assume that you're at 80" now, as well? What's the CR? Axtell makes great parts, but all things being equal, i'd think that you could bore your stock barrels and get new pistons, and get some head work and get more than 10 hp for a similar cash outlay. And yes, 10 hp is noticeable, but 15 or 20 might be more so. Talk to Springer & Bean or HDWrench for some specifics.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks 1bdBagr & cainpole!!!

I know that 2-1 pipes give better performance, but I just don't like the looks of 'em. No offense intended, just not my preference.

Yes, I'm at 80" right now. I don't know what you mean by "CR" though.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Cr

FlamedFXSTC said:

I know that 2-1 pipes give better performance, but I just don't like the looks of 'em. No offense intended, just not my preference.

Yes, I'm at 80" right now. I don't know what you mean by "CR" though.
Compression Ratio.....If you're not changing any displacement (engine cubes) you would have to be changing the compression ratio to get the 10 hp you mentioned. In my 92 FLHTC, I had 80 CI, KB hypereutectic pistons, a Woods Cam (I cannot remember the # for the life of me), all the rotating mass balanced, Bill Chambers Racing headwork, a reworked CV carb, Doherty Power Pacc air cleaner/breather assy, and a Thunderheader.
What that got me was 97 HP and over 100 TQ. The compression ratio was a tad too high (the engine pinged slightly), so thicker Cometic head & base gaskets were used to lower the CR. I ended up w/ 92 HP and I forget the exact torque spec ( the bike had probably 15 or more dyno runs on completion of break in), and an electraglide that I could pull the front wheel between gears (fun, fun, fun) and the propensity to break drive belts. So, if you're wanting to make HP, it's not just using parts...it's using parts that work together. Didn't mean to brag...It's just that that bike was THAT fun to ride. The looks on people's faces AFTER i smoked them on a full dress bagger (like some schmoe in a ford lightning or some kid in a *** car that chose me off) is priceless...:wootdnc:
Tim

·
FXR
117 Posts
FlamedFXSTC said:

no offense taken... i agree that 2 into 1s don't look as good, but to me, it's worth the extra punch. :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts