V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have anything to say about this 107" kit. I'm looking hard into this instead of a supercharger and ran across this kit that's supposed to put out 130HP 130TQ. Both kits are for a carb but surely that have them for EFI models. I have a stage one with a powercommander now. I think this would put out enough to make me smile on the 06 Fatboy.

107ci Twin Cam Mountain Motor Kit
This 107 kit comes with everything you see here. *Axtell Twin Cam Cylinder Kit *Forged Flat-top Pistons *CNC Head Porting *Axtell .510" Camshafts *Axtell Taper Wall Pushrod Kit *Programmable Ignition *Top End Gasket Kit *45mm Mikuni Carb Kit *Spark Plugs $3,449.00 Kit

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Phattexas said:
Anyone have anything to say about this 107" kit. I'm looking hard into this instead of a supercharger and ran across this kit that's supposed to put out 130HP 130TQ. Both kits are for a carb but surely that have them for EFI models. I have a stage one with a powercommander now. I think this would put out enough to make me smile on the 06 Fatboy.

This 107 kit comes with everything you see here. *Axtell Twin Cam Cylinder Kit *Forged Flat-top Pistons *CNC Head Porting *Axtell .510" Camshafts *Axtell Taper Wall Pushrod Kit *Programmable Ignition *Top End Gasket Kit *45mm Mikuni Carb Kit *Spark Plugs $3,449.00 Kit
.510 lift cams?

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
I am putting together my own Axtell 107 kit and I am shooting for bulletproof 115HP/TQ. I seriously doubt that you'll get 130/130 with the 0.510 lift cam (very likely Andrews TW50) you mention.
Check out www.deweyspegs.com dyno section to find out what it takes to get to close to 130 HP/TQ.
Their Axtell KTC-1072 Price: $3,849.00 Kit uses a TW60 cam and is very likely the one that gets you close to 130HP.

In any event, I would not use this kit without the Timken left side crank bearing. Check www.emc2.com or www.zippersperformance.com if you need a conversion for 2003 and up TCs.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
phatexas

The 107 is a favorite build for us here. Don't look for 130 130, but you can get into the 120's with several cams. We had real nice numbers with Deweys heads, (who developed a set of Gila Monster 107 prototypes that we used and I have on my personal bike to this day), the Andrews 67 or Wood TW8G and several pipe combos. (a couple of the dynos on Deweys site are from my shop). If you want a Torque Monster, use the Wood TW6HG with Deweys heads. 115 HP but 125 lbs of TQ that comes up hard from right off of idle. Vienna Hog's idea to change out the bearing is a good one as you have to split the cases anyway. And you will need a larger throttle body and EFI tuning module to get you right. And I don't mean a Powercommander. Need DTT TCFI (my recommendation) or SERT. Anyway, with a little shopping you may be able to save a few dollars as I would absolutely call Dewey on the 107 heads. Gerolamy has a deal on the DTT and TB dual runner combo, too. And that 107 stays smooth as glass and can be a real runner for high end or low. Very tasty Holiday treat!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So my powercommander is not going to cut it, I'll look into the others models you said. I'd be happy with 120 too. I'm really looking at ET's rather than HP. I'd like enough to get me into the mid to low 11's if that's possible without going to radical. From what I'm reading a stock Fatboy runs mid 13'
s. I currently have V&H bigshot staggards.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
I am not in love with the Power Commander, or any other tuning device out there these days all for different reasons but I have seen a few very out of spec 124" motors with S&S twin throttle bodys produce a very rideable clean running 130hp with the stock Delphi.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Rosa's Cycle in NY sells a 107 out the door for around 4k installed and tuned with a PC. Very mild cams and low compression it still makes 114hp and 120tq + -, John Sachs heads 9.5 compression and tw55 cams

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
The motor being larger is not the main cause of starter failure as long as the CCP is reasonable. In the 185 - 195psi is reasonable but none the less on a hot day soak could cause a kick-back. I would put the releases in just as a precaution. The stock starter with heavy cables and double grounds will surprise a lot of people. Actually the clutch is a weaker part of the story if the operator allows kickbacks. Tuning and starting technique all can help. On a similar note a lot of the fancy super whizbang high power starters are not as reliable as stock so I try to get the stocker to work first before waisting money.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Phattexas said:

I have a set of Axtells 107 Cylinders and flat top pistons. Hillside heads and a Woods 9F cam with plus 4 key. My best numbers were 117Hp and 118Torq fourth gear pulls. Fifth gear would of been higher I am sure. My compression ration is 10.3 to 1 cylinder pressure 200 hot.

I love the 107.

Just note: Axtell was not offering their current complete packages when I did my motor.

Good Luck

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Vienna
Kick backs are you enemy for sure. The sound it makes tells the whole story. It is easy not only to wipe a clutch out but the ring gear too. People blame ignition timing but on a hot day a carb bike can get heat soak, similar to vapor lock and really kick bad. Little secret, leave the throttle closed until it fires. Hot like I described just touch the starter. A high compression rig will almost sponenously light off barely cranking it. Good thing we don't kick these beasts eh?

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
nw_guy4_fun said:
Vienna
Kick backs are you enemy for sure. The sound it makes tells the whole story. It is easy not only to wipe a clutch out but the ring gear too. People blame ignition timing but on a hot day a carb bike can get heat soak, similar to vapor lock and really kick bad. Little secret, leave the throttle closed until it fires. Hot like I described just touch the starter. A high compression rig will almost sponenously light off barely cranking it. Good thing we don't kick these beasts eh?
The former build with 95 BB, 9.8 static, carb and 37G occasionaly kicked back hard and had starting issues when hot (cranked for up to 20s). Never got to the bottom of it, staying on the starter switch when the it would barely turn over helped somewhat. Any leads to a top notch starter cable/ground cable that minimizes losses?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.