V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a easy question for the person in the know - What size wrench does the axle nuts take? I tried to measure them and looks like they are just over 1 3/8", I have a crescent that works but I'll need a socket to use the torque wrench. Woulda sworn I had sockets bigger than 1 1/4"?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you are talking the rear axle on the 02 and later it's 36 mm.

As big as the nut is the socket doesn't have to be exact in a pinch, I have used the one for the compensator bolt before. Ideally you would have two sockets, one to torque it down and the other to hold the axle to keep the adjustment from moving, but you can use a crescent or whatever to hold the axle.

Forgot how much the torque is, but it is much more then on the older bikes, something like a little over 100 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought a 1/2 drive 36 mm Husky socket at Home Depot for about $8. I use a cresent wrench to hold the axle while tightening the nut.

·
Registered
128 Posts
bruuuuce said:
hehehe that's funny metric fasteners on an AMERICAN bike.
NOT funny, really.....after all, this IS a "world class community" we live in any more.....all kinds of parts from a lot of countries, with all kinds of thread sizes.....that's the way it's been for years......who do ya' think has been makin' Harley's forks for MANY years....SHOWA.....from the "J.A. Pan" company!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dogmeat said:

NOT funny, really.....after all, this IS a "world class community" we live in any more.....all kinds of parts from a lot of countries, with all kinds of thread sizes.....that's the way it's been for years......who do ya' think has been makin' Harley's forks for MANY years....SHOWA.....from the "J.A. Pan" company!!
Showa is owned by Honda of Japan.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
It's an international market out there now days. GM and Ford, the only American company, surely do have non-American parts. Look at Chrysler/Diamler.......................................................

·
Registered
128 Posts
2002Bagger said:

Showa is owned by Honda of Japan.
Well, yeah, I knew that.....I just like saying "The J.A. Pan" company instead of JAPAN......after all....."If there hadn't been a Pearl Harbor, there wouldn't have been a Hiroshima!!":D :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am amused that when I buy dress up stuff for my softail you get it in nice looking brown box that says MADE IN USA, then when you open it and pull out the part it is in a plastic bag marked MADE IN JAPAN...

It just makes me laugh.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Metric sizes have been use by Detroit for years. I think GM started back in 1982

True to the Harley cause, there years behind.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
in nice looking brown box that says MADE IN USA, then when you open it and pull out the part it is in a plastic bag marked MADE IN JAPAN...
Don't knock it, at least the boxes are sill made here, if only because they are so cheap they aren't worth shipping.
If you were to look at it strictly from a material and manufacturing quality, made in Japan is far preferrable over most of the stuff which is made in Taiwan or Mexico.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the prompt response, Hippo. This is another tool that will be added to the Xmas list , something I'd much rather have than another jug of Armor All (is that stuff good for anything?). BTW, what size then is the socket for the compensator? As far as foreign parts, I just really hate it when the quality of an American made part or tool is made to the standards of the off shore parts, like some Harley parts with chrome that just peels off.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I would guess 1 1/2" but I have a socket specially machined down for the compensator so I just grab it without looking as it is quite different from all the others. I can check it tomorrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts