V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently removed the rear axle on my 2000 road king to change the tire and discovered corrosion on the axle. It looked as if the plating was not completed. Possible production problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I did, Not too sure bout plating. The [email protected] wouldn't come out.
Took about an hour, BIG rubber mallet and a piece of 2*4!
Might have something to do with her, (the bike) living out in the rain?
Quite wet where you are too ain't it?

Anyway, I don't think it was coated with 'Anti seize' properly at the stealer when they changed a tyre. :rolleyes:
Got a bike lift now, do my own wheel in/outs :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem.
My 2007 Dyna is a second hand and the previous owner got the rear tire exchanged ~ 4000km ago. I could see the axle tip had been damaged from hard hammering at that time.

After injecting some penetrating oil in the spacers and below the bearings, I got the axle out using a heavy iron hammer (a heavy hammer is better than hitting hard with a lighter hammer) and a wood block in between. A few strokes with the hammer direct on the axle have been necessary so that the axle start moving, then I used the wood block. Then I used a metal rod to push the axle further in. A trick is to unscrew the nut until it comes flush with the axle tip, to protect it.

My axle was corroded below the spacers where the water enters easily. It was also a bit corroded below and between the bearings. It removed most of the rust with 240 then 1000 sand paper, leaving the axle quite smooth, even though some rust was still visible.

As recommended, I put a film of grease and could remount the axle "like in butter".
As the climate here is very hot and humid, I plan to check the axle status regularly to avoid more corrosion, maybe every 6 months.

Chris

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Not an uncommon issue. In fact, most folks run into this, even if the bike isn't in the rain much. Clean it up, coat it in a thin film of grease or anti-seize and you shouldn't have any more problems.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Every time the axle is out..Buff them on a wire wheel and coat them in anti-seize.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I recently removed the rear axle on my 2000 road king to change the tire and discovered corrosion on the axle. It looked as if the plating was not completed. Possible production problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

Actually its cad plated... if you're looking for chrome, it's not.

Unless you mean the plating looks like it's missing in areas. This isn't the case either... you're looking at an oxidized shaft and the plating is corroded off, in spots.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I did, Not too sure bout plating. The [email protected] wouldn't come out.
Took about an hour, BIG rubber mallet and a piece of 2*4!
Might have something to do with her, (the bike) living out in the rain?
Quite wet where you are too ain't it?

Anyway, I don't think it was coated with 'Anti seize' properly at the stealer when they changed a tyre. :rolleyes:
Got a bike lift now, do my own wheel in/outs :D
Always use anti-seize, after pulling an axle.

Your manual also says so!

You may want to replace the wheel bearings after all that pounding on the axle. Those bearing are not made to take axial shock load.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts