V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you know I teach the Ride Like A Pro course out here in SoCal, so I get to see a lot of bikes. I like all motorcycles, I just prefer my old Ultra. Well today I had a group of three riders that had the Triumph Rocket III. It's a water cooled, shaft drive 2,300cc engine and it is awesome. Smooth idle, great throttle response, excellent brakes, and well behaved at slow speeds. I got to ride one, and put it through all the exercises. The bike handles really well, turining just as tight as any bike I have ever ridden. (It was an eye opener to the other riders to see what the bike could really do with turns and leans). Out on the road the HP and TQ is incredible. They said it will go 0-60 in just over 2 seconds, and I believe it. I didn't "Get On It" like I owned it, but I did push it a bit. I used to ride a ZX-11, and thought that the ZX was fast. This one is probably faster. It comes with a 250 rear tire, and every bit of it is needed to maintain traction.

If you ever get a chance to ride one, try it.

Mark

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
I have a Triumph dealer not far from me. I may have to make that my next Saturday morning adventure. I'd probably never buy one but I wouldn't mind trying it out.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
The bike is all engine and the giant radiator up front is beyond hideous...kinda reminds me of a Boss Hoss.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
A triple displacing 2,300cc is like having three of my cylinders that now equal95". Sounds freekin' awsome!

Mad, I think I know the place your talking about. Is it sort of out of town in that huge barn with the huge Triumph sign on the side? If so, what's the name of that road? I was out there once with a buddy who was thinking about getting an old one.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
miles to go said:
The bike is all engine and the giant radiator up front is beyond hideous...kinda reminds me of a Boss Hoss.
I did find it lacking in appearance, however with good design and body work, I think it could be less hideous. The ride, handling, braking, power and TQ is not to be missed.

·
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by hdmarsh77
Mad, I think I know the place your talking about. Is it sort of out of town in that huge barn with the huge Triumph sign on the side? If so, what's the name of that road? I was out there once with a buddy who was thinking about getting an old one.
Yup, that's the place. It's also a horse farm (the owner told me once that he specializes in "horses and horsepower"). It's right on County PD (McKee Road). You just head west on PD from M and turn in (left) where you see the Triumph sign. It's a pretty down-home shop. You won't find any free food on weekends like you do at H-D dealerships, but you will see a boatload of bikes.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
miles to go said:
If it handles better than a BossHoss, it could be a fun bike. HDs have a classic look, but you don't really look at them as art.

·
Banned
711 Posts
When you guys visit the dealers find out if they have solved the engine cutout problem. According to some owners this is a common problem and lots of fixes are offered. (along with the typical dealer excuses)

My first bike was a Triumph Bonneville 750 (a '76 if I recall). Always liked them but enjjoy a Harley more. (I like my feet out front)

·
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by dtroll
Would like to ride one someday.
Me too, but it will probably never happen. I was just reviewing the specs. The bike has a 29.1-inch seat height, and I have a 28-inch inseam. I like to be flat-footed when I roll to a stop. That bike just wouldn't fit me. Nor would many, if not most, sport bikes with their high seat heights. Fortunately, I could give a rip about sport bikes.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I thought it would be a cool bike until I saw one in person. Just not my cup of tea. I love Triumphs and in fact am lusting after a new tiger, but this Rocket III just don't cut it in the looks department. If I was going to get an ugly bike that performs well I would be looking at the new Kaw Concours LOL. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder right.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
There are some nice custom Rocket IIIs out there. I saw one with a powder coated engine that looked awsome. I don't like the look of them stock. The tank just looks too big. I have seen a dyno sheet on it stock and it's very nice. Torque at 1500 rpm that I would die for.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts