V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, for those of you that read my rant earlier on my unfortunate incident concerning my HALLCRAFT wheel that had a mishap on my 400 mile journey, here is the update.

I contacted the manufacturer this morning at 8 am and explained to Devlynn @ Hallcraft on what had happened. They were very sympathic and understanding and apologized for my inconvience.

My plan was to have the wife dig out my OEM wheel from the attic, box it up and send it overnight to the local H-D dealership which is 30 miles away so that I could get it fixed and ride back home.

Davelynn got ahold of Ed, (Hallcrafts owner), and he told her to contact me to obtain the name/address of the dealer that I would be taking the bike in to get fixed so that they could Overnight the wheel to me. :)

Ed also stated that maybe they need to look at the 80 spoke radial design on RK models. The bike is VERY heavy. Now add the hundreds of pounds of extra chrome that I have done at it is even heavier! (Inner primary, forks, calipers, triple chrome plated wheels and the tons of "extras")

They are sending me their cross laced design nickel plated spokes and are even picking up the tab for the initial and return mailing.

Since I changed over ALL rotors to match, once I get home, they want me to contact them so that I may even "work out something" on my front wheel and all of the rotors, AND the matching chrome radial pulley. Just hope this doesnt get too expensive in the swap.

Nevertheless, I did not even have to threaten or raise my voice, they were very cordial and understanding and are willing to recitify the situation to the best of their abilities.

I guess customer service truly does STILL exist. I will keep you all updated on the rest of the saga.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Sounds like a good company to deal with. I'll remember this when/if I ever decide to replace my wheels.

I'm a little concerned about the weight issue though. If they are looking additional weight from add-on's, what about the passenger? Do they have a max. weight recommendation for certain wheel types, or do they simply say that this wheel fits this bike and so on?

I'm sure your situation will have a lot us thinking about this more!

Glad to hear it is turning out okay for you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thier just covering there ass! No more lawsuit,just sent them the wheel.
no evidence of a problem. If someone else gets killed riding on same type of wheel what then? As far as any more money being sent there way,are you crazy.Did you forget you could have died? Didn't it ruin your tire also?
Sound to me like a version of motorcycle firestone . Well I'm sorry for raving on,I lost a friend due to Firestone tire recall.I just don't wan't to see any people hurt,especially when they know there is a problem!:mad:

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PHATBOY said:
Thier just covering there ass! No more lawsuit,just sent them the wheel.
no evidence of a problem. If someone else gets killed riding on same type of wheel what then? As far as any more money being sent there way,are you crazy.Did you forget you could have died? Didn't it ruin your tire also?
Sound to me like a version of motorcycle firestone . Well I'm sorry for raving on,I lost a friend due to Firestone tire recall.I just don't wan't to see any people hurt,especially when they know there is a problem!:mad:

You have brought up some VERY good points. My question to them once I get the bike home will be:

1. Whose paying for the labor to mount the new wheel on to include taking the wheel bearings out of the other one?

2. Are they going to pay for me a new tire as well?

3. I am having to borrow someones truck and rent a Uhaul trailer to get the bike to a H-D dealer. Are they gonna pay for that, too?

I have started a journal and documented everything so far. Not sure how this will all pan out. But, I will definately shed some light on it to them.

This could be another potentially Firestone incident. I am just lucky to have survived it!

Hippo--Sure glad I had 80 radial laced wheels holding that rear hub unlike the OEM 40! It started pouring down today so I did not get a chance to look at the damage really close, but I counted roughly 20 spokes at a quick glance that were separated from the hub.

I will be taking a bunch of pictures for everyone to see once I get the bike over to the shop in the morning.

Yes, the tire is trashed. The whitewalls on one side has rubbed against the inner fender (or something else) It still functions but it looks like garbage.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
There appears to be much to consider.

(1) You are ok. That is a good thing and we all are thankful for that.

(2) The next guy may not be so lucky. That is a bad thing and we all should be thoughtful of that.

One step at a time on this issue is called for IMHO.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dave,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad to hear you are OK. When do you think you'll be up? I'm off for the next two weeks and thought we could go for a putt somewhere. I didn't read your previous post so I don't know if you where on your way to Daytona like you planned. Send me a PM if you want to get together. This weekends weather is supposed to suck, but maybe next week if you get the bike up.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics

Here is the damage: Yeah, I know, I am VERY lucky to be alive. Notice that there are only a few spokes holding on to the hub.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts