V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys – here’s my dilemma … I just added the Bassani Pro Streets with turnouts and a Wimmer 90 degree performance air intake and fully recognize that I need to do a remapping. My plan was to have it tuned and dyno’ed by my local independent. Am I guaranteed to “blue” or “gold” the pipes by riding it 10 miles to the shop before it is remapped? Further, even if I trailered it down will the tune and dyno result in the blueing/golding before the proper tune is achieved? I’ll admit it … I am one of those guys that is a bit particular about the chrome appearance.

Advice? I am hoping for something more than criticism of my pipe/intake solution:huh:

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
how about cleaning it off?

Sure, you may get a little bluing, but Blue Job cleaned it right off my old pipes. I feel your pain.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
If the pipes are single walled, you'll get some discoloration even with a perfect tune. Nothing you can do about it.

·
OLDBOY
784 Posts
Are you running a stock map?
Do you have a Power Commander or SERT?
I assume you do since a stage 1 dl from HD is not a proper AFR map for that combo and probably not close enough to keep the blues away. So why dont you just install a map thats close before you start the tune or the trip to the tuner?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I put 20 miles on my pro streets the other day with a map that is close but not tuned yet and they yellowed a little bit at the heads. Nothing you can do about it when they get up to temp your going to go blue or yellow unless its perfect. ..Expect a little discoloration. If you cant stand some then you will have to put the heat shields on. I don't mind it with mine I think it ads a little character.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Chrome+hot=color. My chrome axle cover turned gold from being too close to my muffler; the muffler is still chrome.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I like to think that blue/gold colors on chrome pipes and mufflers are kind of a badge of honor. Shows the freedom of riding two wheels to new and interesting places and people.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts