V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Seeking instant gratification seldom pays. I can't feel sorry for this guy.

Any reasonable person would do their homework on a 20K purchase.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Agree that the guy could have been a more informed consumer but I have to agree with him that MSRP ought to be something that has to be disclosed just like in a car deal. Why shouldn"t it?

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
trusting

Buddha4 said:
With the guy holding a PHD he should be familiar with research.
People's word is not exclusive to a PhD or not. I did tell him to not deal with these people and wait to see my Buddy Grant the manager at space coast Harley first. He actually went there to buy me a present for my bike and liked the sales guy and the look of the bike.

I went with him the next day to try to get him out of the deal. They threatened him and he folded, I would not have.

These are very bad people.

·
In disguise
2,727 Posts
This looks like a classic case of why it's never a good idea to buy on impulse--especially a big-ticket item.

On the other hand, not disclosing MSRP is underhanded--a good reason to walk out right then.

I live in Florida. I haven't found a rider yet who would set foot into a Rossmeyer shop. The man and his name is notorious. So how does he (obviously) keep making such huge money? That many newbies, maybe?

The website states: "Here is the game played by some dealers like Rossmeyer. Inflate the price of the motorcycle by $5,500 and give back a “gift” card for $1,000." Am I reading this right? Did the bike really have a sale price $5500 over MSRP? And the guy still bought it? I mean, I haven't even looked up the MSRP for a Softail Custom, but it would seem to me that $5500 over MSRP would seem outrageous to a customer, even without doing much if any research. This is what amazes me--that some people actually pay these exhorbitant prices in the first place.

I don't know about the '07 models but MSRP for an '08 Softail Custom runs from $16895 for a solid color to $17720 for a custom color. Add $5500 to those and the bike now costs $22395 to $23220. I gotta tell you, seeing those numbers would kill my interest right there. Or at least mkae me ask the dealer "why so much?" But obviously, some folks just write the check.

This is another in a long series of Harley stories about buyers who willingly place themselves at the mercy of underhanded business practices or just plain outrageous prices when they should have walked out or better yet, never entered the store in the first place.

I would add, that (IMO) it shouldn't be entirely up to the consumer to dodge whatever crooked practices a business owner can dream up. There needs to be regulation/laws to prevent open season on consumers, to some extent, anyway.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
It continues to amaze me that people buy big (or even moderate) ticket items without some basic research. There are plenty of dealers for all products who are quite willing to take the money of those who choose not to educate themselves......and education is really easy since the advent of the 'net.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I can't relate, nor feel sorry for the guy. I won't buy a new vacuum cleaner without doing my research first. This guy walked right into a dealer and plunked his money down on a new bike without batting an eye. Sounds like a person to which money doesn't matter. I depend on people like this to pay the overhead at the places where I do business... somebody has got to do it, but it won't be me.

·
Just happy to be here
858 Posts
MSRP is Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price -- it's NOT the actual price unless they say it is, so whether it was posted or not is irrelevant. This guy is an idiot if he signed papers and committed to buy a bike without knowing what the final "out the door" price was going to be. It's guys like him who prove the adage "There's a sucker born every minute."

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Just got a flyer in the mail the other day. Seems Bruce bought up Boston H-D and is looking for new customers. Fortunately, Boston H-D is not within my regular travels so I may never enter his doors.

·
Registered
331 Posts
FXR2 said:
I live in Florida. I haven't found a rider yet who would set foot into a Rossmeyer shop. The man and his name is notorious. So how does he (obviously) keep making such huge money? That many newbies, maybe?
The make a ton of money during Biktoberfest and Bike Week. They make over a million bucks just on t-shirt sales alone, or so I heard from a reliable source.

Personally when I was looking I checked into several dealerships before making my purchase. You pretty much have to nowadays.

·
Registered
116 Posts
for what it's worth, I bought a bike last month 07 Classic

I went to Rossmeyer then to petterson...petterson beat them OTD by the fees (about $600)...but then I went to palm beach they beat them by $4,500 OTD and the attention and attitude was great.

It was well worth the hour trip up there. I will also take it there for the service work.

·
Banned
1,670 Posts
WOW....sorry dude, but he is a Dr. Dumbass

They offered and he paid, that simple. I hate crooked people as much as you but ignorant people are dangerous too and yes it's fine for him to be upset but they owe him nothing. It's unfortunate that he didnt study up even a small amount but they were not required to tell him they overcharge what a bike worth in the real world.

This thread reminds me of the one about double shipping.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Before buying this last bike I must have gone to every dealer within 150 miles. I checked prices everywhere before I pulled the trigger. I can't feel sorry for someone just throwing his money away like that.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
casaba said:
This thread reminds me of the one about double shipping.
He double dipped, he double dipped a chip....what , wait nevermind
Yeah, I can't understand just dropping that amount and not looking around. I'm sure he's more pissed about a dumb rush decision than an overpriced dealership.

·
Banned
316 Posts
I'm sorta confused by this idjits opening statement anyway. he claims this Softail Custom "reminded him of the bike he owned 35 years ago". Now if my math skills are correct that would be 1971. He also said he never before owned a Harley. Well I'm sorry but of the bikes offered in or before 1971, if it wasn't a Harley (unless of course it was an Indian, but I doubt that) then I don't see a Softail custom looking anything like any of those bikes!!:hmmm:

·
1,336 Posts
Give this a guy a break.

The guy shared his experience. May help somebody in the furure. Admitted to inpulse buying and it's downfalls. He had no problem spending the money, so he must have had it. Sounds like he is just upset about being decieved and the dealers practice. Not that he did not get a "great" deal on the bike.

If I lived near Florida and was considiring that dealer. This guy would have just done me a favor.

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
I read the man's website and the letters he wrote to HD, etc. After reading this, this all nothing new here. If you have been reading this forum or been around HD for any length of time you all know that shopping around and doing some homework is mandatory if you're getting ready to buy a new bike. This guy clearly bought on impulse and it happened at a dealership that is apparently notorious for high mark-ups. The moon and the stars were in perfect alignment.

Because we're in California, we have to buy our HD's (for new bikes) here in the state. We just ordered our new bike. There are 72 HD stores in California. I contacted at least 30 different dealers before I placed a deposit down. On the CVO bikes, for us, the criteria was that the dealer had to sell at MSRP and be reasonable with the set up and freight. If they weren't, end of conversation and on to the next dealer. Out of the 30 or so, I'd say 3 were at MSRP plus S/U & Freight and no additional B.S. The rest of the dealers were anywhere from $2,000-$5000 over MSRP on a CVO Ultra. Many of the dealers at $5,000 over are still sitting with bikes.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts