Premium Member
11,928 Posts
never got more than 160 miles to the tank. yes i have run out!!!!11

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
claydbal said:
never got more than 160 miles to the tank. yes i have run out!!!!11
HA HA. Yes, I too have run out. I have gotten as much as 180 miles on a tank and I always use the trip odometer to give me an idea of when to get fuel. But this once, I'm on the freeway and it suddenly starts cutting out. I'm coasting, on the freeway, down the exit ramp and to my luck, there's a gas station right there. The trip odometer was reading just over 150 miles. I must have not filled it completely on the last fueling. :blink:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zartoff said:
HA HA. Yes, I too have run out. I have gotten as much as 180 miles on a tank and I always use the trip odometer to give me an idea of when to get fuel. But this once, I'm on the freeway and it suddenly starts cutting out. I'm coasting, on the freeway, down the exit ramp and to my luck, there's a gas station right there. The trip odometer was reading just over 150 miles. I must have not filled it completely on the last fueling. :blink:
So fill up every 100 miles?

·
Registered
36 Posts
06 Super Glide

I am getting around 41 with mixed driving, some highway and most country roads, and have gotten around 41 after 50 mile break in period. All riding was done 1 up. My rule right now is to fill up every 130 - 150 and the most I have put in is 3.86 gallons, so that would leave .9 gallons remaining as a margin.

'06 Super Glide

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been averaging about 42 mpg but this is all one-up and under 65 mph for the most part. This is on an '06 FXDLI.

·
Faithful to the bottle
495 Posts
Hummm I stopped this morning and I had 86 miles on the iddiot guage. I only have 216 miles on her now, and was advised to stay under 55 for the first 500 miles. All my driving has been from light to light in the city. I have the SEII and remap done.
-S

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THEStinger said:
Hummm I stopped this morning and I had 86 miles on the iddiot guage. I only have 216 miles on her now, and was advised to stay under 55 for the first 500 miles. All my driving has been from light to light in the city. I have the SEII and remap done.
-S
Your suppose to stay under 3500 rpm's for the 1st 500 miles not 55 mph.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If we had tachs we could see our speed. BTW, what is the mph at 3500rpm w/ a 6/sp. dyna? In 6th gear that is. I have 230mi on my custom and ride it pretty good. Have done some highway, keeping it under 70. Put my Memphis shades Classic Deuce. This sheild does well I might add. Also, anyone opt for A handle-bar mounted tach via Drag Specialty or other? And, How accurate does everybody think their speedo is. It seems it reads alot faster than I am actually traveling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found 3500 in 6th gear to be right around 90 mph.
My dealers service guy told me to keep it under 50 for the first 50 miles and then he told me to read the manual and follow the instructions there.

I thought it was strange the manual is the same for all Dyna models but does not give speeds in mph but tach settings for break-in, even though all the models do not have a tach.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess I am guilty then. She cruises quite nicely at 90...only for about 20sec though gradually getting up to speed. :eek: Man this bike handles and maneuver as good as any sporty I had in the past. I really notice it on the twisties too; already scraped my mid mount peg slightly going around a turn. Wasn't really moving that fast though. Checked the oil and it is quite golden still. I will be riding it to Myrtle Mothers day weekend to see my brother and hope to have the 500mi by then. By the time I get back, I'll be ready for the 1st service.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jt1965 said:
I found 3500 in 6th gear to be right around 90 mph.
My dealers service guy told me to keep it under 50 for the first 50 miles and then he told me to read the manual and follow the instructions there.

I thought it was strange the manual is the same for all Dyna models but does not give speeds in mph but tach settings for break-in, even though all the models do not have a tach.
I kept mine under 3000 rpm's for the first 50 miles and under 3500 rpm's up to 500 miles then let it fly :) I have a Lowrider so I have a tach.

·
Registered
57 Posts
One thought before you reach the 1k or even the 500mi mark is; you could just change out your oil filter. That way, if their are any break in containiments, A newer filter would catch them. What oil does the bike come with via the show room: syn or dino HD360?

·
Registered
829 Posts
If this helps you '06 owners draw a comparison against a 5-speed, I get 34 in town, 39-40 on the road at 75-80mph on my '04 Wide Glide.

43 mpg with a tailwind, LOL....

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
SOURCE

Fuel Mileage

As shown in our introduction fuel and ignition, we make horsepower by processing more air and adding the required fuel to maintain the correct AFR. One obvious result is that fuel mileage may suffer. Stock bikes getting 50 mpg are not unusual. To meat emissions standards, stock bikes are setup very lean with tuning and heat management programs to keep them from melting down or detonating to death. One reason air cleaner and exhaust changes make such a difference is that tuning changes are also made either with jetting and ignition or EFI calibrations. These changes also reduce fuel mileage.

Fuel mileage is really a measure of efficiency and is expressed scientifically as Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC). This is the amount of fuel used (lbs), per horsepower, per hour. Stock bikes typically use .60-.75 pounds of fuel to make one horsepower continuously for one hour (source; “The Big Twin High-Performance Guide”). As motors get bigger they also get less efficient and you can use BSFC see how getting bigger and making more power affects efficiency.

The beauty of EFI bikes is that we can be very precise in the fuel and ignition mapping to optimize mileage when cruising, yet still have correct mapping for power when transitioning out of cruise. This is nearly impossible on carbureted bikes because its fuel delivery is signal based as a function of how the air is moving through the intake track. That air flow is dictated by the motor combination. They will get lower mileage than an EFI bike.

Having said all that, an interesting phenomenon happens as you increase horsepower. With more power, it takes less throttle input to do the same work while cruising, so we get some compensation for losses with increased power. Because of the greater heat generated by big cubes or horsepower, it is not safe to lean these bikes down to a point that will match a stock bikes mpg. In reality, we would not want to detune a bike on which we spent $2,500.00 to get 100hp down to 80hp, which would be one effect of a lean tune. One caveat is, when a high horsepower or big cubic inch bike is ridden aggressively, you will see mpg’s as low as 20 (our 80ci/152hp AMA racer gets 17mpg, when racing). The effect of all this is that nearly all well tuned bikes (H-D big twins), regardless of size or horsepower typically get 40-44 average mpg!

·
Registered
280 Posts
40 to 44 just feels a little low to me. I'm on an '02 FXDX stage 1 and did an 1100 mile check last year and got 48 mpg. A trip to Vermont and back got 52 or so. I prefer the twisty country roads so my speeds will be lower than you highway riders but this type of riding would mean more gear changing and throttle variation.

·
Registered
106 Posts
lesrrt said:
One thought before you reach the 1k or even the 500mi mark is; you could just change out your oil filter. That way, if their are any break in containiments, A newer filter would catch them. What oil does the bike come with via the show room: syn or dino HD360?
You may or may not know, but not all oil goes through the filter element. Only a very small number of vehicles out there have a oil system that filters every bit of oil pumped and Harley isn't one of them.Meaning the filter has a bypass built in.This is a good thing actualy since if it did not and it clogged you would starve the engine of oil. So changeing just the filter does not get all the debrit out. Do as you wish though, just giving some info out you may not know.

Oh and on topic I start looking for a fuel station around 150 miles or so. I have put 200 miles on a tank, and knock on wood have not run dry. My gauge seems to read accurate enough. I never do the math but is over 40 mpg anyway.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts