V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
100th Road Glide
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The company I currently work for has intentions to move all operations to Mexico. They have been here for over 40 years. I have been with them for over 11 years and have worked in the maintenance end of electronics manufacturing machines since the late 70's. Basicly, I have been in a factory for almost 30 years! I am sick of it, even though the money has been good to me. If our corporation does move off shore I can get retraining for up to 2 years plus draw unemployement for about the entire retraining period under NAFTA. I have talked with a counsler at MMI in Arizona and he states that they will accept me in a course under NAFTA. This class (Harley) cost 20 grand and will totally be paid by the government. All I need to do is furnish my living location and food. My unemployement will cover that. The question after all this explaining is what kind of salary does a well trained mechanic pull in one of these state of the art dealerships that are going up around the country?. I would love to do something that would be fun for a change and be out of a type of work that is on a fine line to extinction!
Mike

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Contact the state's office of Labor Market Information and ask for wage information about mechanics working in the motorcycle business. The office can come up with this information readily. Each state surveys these businesses under contract with the federal government every so often and the info is available. Each state may be a little different in average wages paid so be aware of this. You also might inquire as to the number of hours worked by motorcycle mechanics each week. They keep this info also.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Mike:

Where do you want to live? The hourly rate paid to the mechanic depends on the hourly rate charged by the dealership, and your level of experience. If you are good at engine, trans, electronics, and the SERT, I bet you will have no problem getting a job, but that comes with experience, and you will have to pay your dues(starting pay always sucks). Also, what benefits do you need? Call the H-D dealers in the area you want to live in, and talk to the service manager, and he will tell you what your starting hourly rate will be, and what you will make after a period of employment, like 1, 2, 3, 4 years, plus what benefits you will have. If you are looking to make big money, you might want to take a bank robbery course. But, on the plus side, you might actually enjoy going to work, if you are a good technician. Also, side-work is very good money, and cash to boot. Just don't ever mention side-work within the dealership, or you might find yourself working side-work full time.

Thorns

·
Registered
379 Posts
The current rate at Detroit Harley is $75.00 an hour, usually get 1/3rd or better.....................
Sparky

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
sparky88 said:
The current rate at Detroit Harley is $75.00 an hour, usually get 1/3rd or better.....................
Sparky
I am not sure about your location but last year A local dealer came to me and offered me 38K per year with the bene package...This was for a parts manager position....I asked what it would go up to in a couple years, they had no answer....due to me living in lovely overprice rockland,NY there was no way i could afford that....

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
sparky88 said:
Sparky
Sparky, What are you trippin on???
Fresh MMI grad, $10-$12 an hour to start tops and youll start out doing straight scheduled maintnence stuff. More when you get experience but not that much more at dealer. Once you get experience, you'll wanna go indie cuz the money from dealership still aint good...

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I know a few techs here in Va making less than $15 after years of experience...dunno if they're any good though!

·
Registered
47 Posts
adlerx said:
Sparky, What are you trippin on???
Fresh MMI grad, $10-$12 an hour to start tops and youll start out doing straight scheduled maintnence stuff. More when you get experience but not that much more at dealer. Once you get experience, you'll wanna go indie cuz the money from dealership still aint good...
I think he was talking about comission?

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
"Matt Riddley is livin' his dream.......he got his training at MMI." Hehe, I just saw this commercial on the Speed channel. Matt still lives at home? :banmep:

Thorns

·
Registered
529 Posts
Twenty grand sounds kinda steep to become a motorcycle mechanic. My wife became an RN for about $10,000. If you really like working on things you could look into becoming an A&P mechanic,they make good money and the demand is high.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Companies/dealerships regularly charge 3-10 times what they pay the techs. Dealer I bought my bike from charges $100/hour. Doubt the techs are getting over $20. A buddy of mine is a repair tech for a computer repair company. The company charges about $75/hour for his services, but he only gets $22/hour (he's goooood). Thats just how the service industry works. Do you really think it costs a bar/club $5-8 for a Jack-n-Coke? Hell no, more like -2$en#e-...

·
Registered
18 Posts
wvwayne said:
Twenty grand sounds kinda steep to become a motorcycle mechanic. My wife became an RN for about $10,000. If you really like working on things you could look into becoming an A&P mechanic,they make good money and the demand is high.

i second that.

·
Registered
645 Posts
You should pack your bags and go to Mexico. Make alot of Mexican money and send it "back" to the U.S. :nope:

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
FULLDRAWMIKE said:
The company I currently work for has intentions to move all operations to Mexico. They have been here for over 40 years. I have been with them for over 11 years and have worked in the maintenance end of electronics manufacturing machines since the late 70's. Basicly, I have been in a factory for almost 30 years! I am sick of it, even though the money has been good to me. If our corporation does move off shore I can get retraining for up to 2 years plus draw unemployement for about the entire retraining period under NAFTA. I have talked with a counsler at MMI in Arizona and he states that they will accept me in a course under NAFTA. This class (Harley) cost 20 grand and will totally be paid by the government. All I need to do is furnish my living location and food. My unemployement will cover that. The question after all this explaining is what kind of salary does a well trained mechanic pull in one of these state of the art dealerships that are going up around the country?. I would love to do something that would be fun for a change and be out of a type of work that is on a fine line to extinction!
Mike
Sounds kinda like my situation. I had worked in the same manufacturing facility for 27 years. (Engineering Tech) Things began to break down a couple of years ago I could see it all coming. The lay offs started (good people too). Then the internal fighting began because eveyone wants to save their position. I prepared myself $$$ wise and gave my notice last Oct 7th. They are still letting people go and I think the big one is coming within the next few weeks. 50% of the business is going to China. Anyway I am trying to get into the Parts Dept or Service desk at two different HD Dealerships in the area. Both get swamped with applications so it has been tough. In my case I think you need to know somebody and get a personal reference. Got my fingers crossed that something is gonna break in the next month. Things are pretty slow in January up here in the north country.
I think I could work as a tech but I dont have any formal training. Just what I have done to my bike and a few others. I think working a HD Dealership would be a nice change from what I have been doing for 27 years.
GOOD LUCK MAN !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
wvwayne said:
There's a gret idea! Go to work for $25-$35 and hour straight out of school!! Training time the same +/- work is of similar nature, more time and money to ride!!
Good advice wvwayne!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
FULLDRAWMIKE said:
My unemployement will cover that.
Your unemployment will cover you for 12+ months? I'd check on that, as in AZ I don't think we can get more than 6 months of unemployment. Not to mention, the max amount here is well under $300/week (I filed for unemployment for about a month in the summer of 2004, it was $235/week, and I didn't have any taxes deducted!)

Everything I've read/seen is that the starting mechanics get paid around the $10/hour mark.

·
Slightly Abrasive
123 Posts
adlerx said:
There's a gret idea! Go to work for $25-$35 and hour straight out of school!! Training time the same +/- work is of similar nature, more time and money to ride!!
Good advice wvwayne!
Nice dream. Ain't gonna happen. No experience w/ A&P lic. = 10$ an hr. if you can find a job. 8-9$ if you'll take anything and work 60 hrs a wk.
Big airlines going under recently has the A/C mech. market flooded with mechanics that have 10 yrs on the job but no job.
A lot of A/C maint. is also going overseas as well as local jobs being vendered out to companies that employ 1 A&P per location w/ a few non lics. mech. working under his certificate.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Nt Train said:
Nice dream. Ain't gonna happen. No experience w/ A&P lic. = 10$ an hr. if you can find a job. 8-9$ if you'll take anything and work 60 hrs a wk.
Big airlines going under recently has the A/C mech. market flooded with mechanics that have 10 yrs on the job but no job.
A lot of A/C maint. is also going overseas as well as local jobs being vendered out to companies that employ 1 A&P per location w/ a few non lics. mech. working under his certificate.
WHOOPS!
Thanks for the info Nt, I had no idea things had gotten that bad in that field, Had friends a few years back that were working for don't remember which airline, they were making upwards of $40 and that was several years ago when wages were generally lower, guess their union helped drive the airlines to BK. Guess that's not such a good idea after all...

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
The question after all this explaining is what kind of salary does a well trained mechanic pull in one of these state of the art dealerships that are going up around the country?. I would love to do something that would be fun for a change and be out of a type of work that is on a fine line to extinction!
Not trying to be smart but would working on motorcycles "for a living" really be *fun*? Maintaining on our own is fun, rewarding, and a change of pace from our real job. Plus I'd think you'd be worked to death in the busy riding season. Of course that's the season you'd want off in order to ride.
As a motorcyclist my idea of a nice job would be selling wood stoves or maybe a snowmobile mechanic. ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts